Power series solution to degree 2 ODE

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the differential equation (x+1)y'' - (x-1)y' - y = 0 with initial conditions y(1) = 2 and y'(1) = 3, centered around x = 1. The solution involves finding two separate power series with coefficients a0 and a1, and the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a pattern for these series.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

(x+1)y'' - (x-1)y' - y = 0
centred around x=1
y(1) = 2, y'(1) = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am supposed to get two power series, one with a0 and one with a1 but when I am trying to figure out a pattern, I keep getting both a0 and a1 in all of my terms.

So I end up with a2 = (1/4)*a0
and an+2 = (an*n - n*(n+1)*an+1)/(2*(n+1)*(n+2))
for n = 1 I got a3 = (2a1-(1/2)*a0)/12

for n = 2 I got a4 = ((3/4)*a0-6*((2a1-(1/2)*a0)/12)/24

I did this for n=3 and n=4 and n=5 and I still can't come up with a pattern for two different series, one with a0 and one with a1

Physics news on Phys.org
My recurrence relation is a little different. Did you replace (x+1) with [(x-1) + 2] in the first term? Then my recurrence relation turned out to be ##a_{n+2} = \frac{a_{n} - na_{n+1}}{2(n+2)}## & I think I noticed a ##2^{n}(n+2)!## in the denominators but I'm having trouble with the numerators. & ##a_{0}=a_{2}=0## since everything on the left-hand side has to add to zero. I could show you how I got that if you really want but these series solution problems are a lot of shovelling. (enough shovelling that I could have easily made a mistake :rolleyes:)

Yea I got that and now I got a3 = a1/6 - a0/24 and a4 = a0/24-a1/24 and that doesn't make sense since the a0 is basically the same in both. ugh

What is a power series solution?

A power series solution is a method for finding an approximate solution to a degree 2 ordinary differential equation (ODE) by representing the solution as an infinite sum of terms, each multiplied by a power of the independent variable. It is a useful tool for solving nonlinear ODEs and can be used when other methods, such as separation of variables, do not work.

How do you find a power series solution to a degree 2 ODE?

To find a power series solution to a degree 2 ODE, you first need to express the ODE in standard form and determine the point where the solution is to be expanded. Then, you use the power series expansion formula to write the solution as an infinite sum. Finally, you substitute the expansion into the ODE and solve for the unknown coefficients in the series.

What are the advantages of using a power series solution?

One advantage of using a power series solution is that it allows for an infinite number of terms in the series, providing a more accurate approximation of the true solution. Additionally, it can be used to solve nonlinear ODEs, which may not have analytical solutions using other methods.

What are the limitations of a power series solution?

A power series solution may not always converge to the true solution. This can happen if the series has a radius of convergence that is smaller than the desired interval of convergence, or if the coefficients in the series do not follow a specific pattern. Additionally, finding the unknown coefficients may be time-consuming and require a lot of effort.

Can a power series solution be used for higher degree ODEs?

Yes, a power series solution can be used for higher degree ODEs. However, as the degree of the ODE increases, the complexity of finding the solution and determining the coefficients also increases. In some cases, the series may not converge at all, making it difficult to use this method for higher degree ODEs.