Servo duty cycle and overdriving

• Thread starter theycallmevirgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle Servo
In summary, when it comes to small hobby servomotors, it is important to keep in mind the two torque limits - RMS torque and peak torque. Operating at torques greater than the RMS torque requires careful calculations of motor temperature rise and shaft load. Exceeding the peak torque can result in instant demagnetization of the permanent magnets, rendering the motor unusable. Temperature can also affect the magnets, potentially leading to demagnetization. Additionally, degaussing is not as simple as just flipping the field and can have negative effects on motor operation.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
How can I evaluate duty cycle of small servomotors?
What kind of service life can I expect from small hobby servomotors? Can I exceed current rating for increased power? How will that affect duty cycle?

Thanks so much in advance

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
My experience is with industrial permanent magnet servomotors, not hobby motors, so take this accordingly. Industrial servomotors have two torque limits - RMS (average) torque and peak torque. The RMS torque is the allowable torque for continuous operation. The peak torque is the maximum allowable torque for a short time.

Operating at torques greater than RMS torque requires calculating the motor temperature rise over a worst case operation cycle. Shaft load calculations are also required.

Operating at greater than peak torque will instantly demagnetize the permanent magnets. Then the motor is junk, and cannot be repaired.

• Informative
Likes DaveE, theycallmevirgo and berkeman
jrmichler said:
My experience is with industrial permanent magnet servomotors, not hobby motors, so take this accordingly. Industrial servomotors have two torque limits - RMS (average) torque and peak torque. The RMS torque is the allowable torque for continuous operation. The peak torque is the maximum allowable torque for a short time.

Operating at torques greater than RMS torque requires calculating the motor temperature rise over a worst case operation cycle. Shaft load calculations are also required.

Operating at greater than peak torque will instantly demagnetize the permanent magnets. Then the motor is junk, and cannot be repaired.
Thanks so much, very helpful

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
Operating at greater than peak torque will instantly demagnetize the permanent magnets.

Is this because of exceeding the Curie temperature?

No. Permanent magnets are manufactured as a non-magnetized block. That block is placed in an electromagnet, which is then energized. The magnetization process is instantaneous, plus the time to build and collapse the magnetic field. One microsecond is more than enough time to magnetize or demagnetize a permanent magnet, so temperature is not involved.

Temperature can also demagnetize a permanent magnet. This is a good discussion of temperature effects on neodymium magnets: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=temperature-and-neodymium-magnets.

As a child, I learned how to fix a compass that pointed south. My father wrapped some wire around the compass, and flashed that wire across the car battery. After that, it pointed north.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
As a child, I learned how to fix a compass that pointed south. My father wrapped some wire around the compass, and flashed that wire across the car battery. After that, it pointed north.
But demagnetizing (degaussing) an object with remanence (hysteresis) is not so easy. Hence the typical AC degaussing field tapering to shrink the hysteresis loop to zero. So I am confused by how this works. Are you not demagnitizing but just "flipping" the field?
And some of the very newest rare earth megnets have very low Curie Temps....I was shocked.

Likes DaveE and dlgoff
hutchphd said:
(degaussing)
Brings back memories of degaussing TV picture tubes and computer monitors.
Degauss-in-progress_at_Dell-Trinitron-monitor.jpg

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
I use Arrhenius Law to inter/extrapolate for a 40'C riseto a 80'C rise. This is how all e-caps are rated for accelerated failure rates. I would avoid the limits of RMS power because there is no cooling mechanism for these products and give margin to the max RMS power being applied. Typically we know life span reduces 50% for every 10'C rise above ambient until some catastrophic melting point or oxidation occurs that causes contamination or whatever.

hutchphd said:
Are you not demagnitizing but just "flipping" the field?
Yes, I think this is correct. But you are flipping the field in the wrong pattern for good motor operation, particularly if the rotor is moving. Taken as a whole, the magnets may be effectively de-magnetized.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a servo duty cycle?

A servo duty cycle refers to the percentage of time a servo motor is powered on versus the time it is powered off. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with 0% being fully off and 100% being fully on.

2. How does overdriving a servo affect its duty cycle?

Overdriving a servo means providing it with a higher voltage or current than it is designed to handle. This can cause the servo to operate at a higher duty cycle, meaning it will be powered on for a longer period of time compared to its normal operation. This can potentially damage the servo and should be avoided.

3. What are the risks of overdriving a servo?

Overdriving a servo can result in overheating, increased wear and tear, and even permanent damage to the motor or electronics. It can also cause the servo to operate at a higher duty cycle, which may affect its performance and accuracy.

4. Can a servo be overdriven safely?

No, overdriving a servo is not recommended as it can cause damage to the motor and electronics. It is important to use the servo within its specified voltage and current limits to ensure safe and proper operation.

5. How can I prevent overdriving a servo?

To prevent overdriving a servo, it is important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's specifications for voltage and current limits. Using a voltage regulator or current limiting circuit can also help prevent overdriving. Additionally, using a servo controller that has built-in protection against overdriving can also be beneficial.