Set theoretic problem, lim sup and lim inf

• Thread starter sunjin09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to find the set difference S-I, we can use the identity (A \cup B) \setminus C = (A \setminus C) \cup (B \setminus C) and the given expressions for S and I. This results in the set of elements that are in at least one of the sets An, but not in any of the sets beyond An.
sunjin09

Homework Statement

Given a sequence of sets {An}, n=1,2,...,∞, the lim sup [itex]S=\cap_{n=1}^\infty\cup^\infty_{k=n}A_k[/itex], and the lim inf [itex]I=\cup_{n=1}^\infty\cap^\infty_{k=n}A_k[/itex], obviously [itex]I\subset S[/itex], find an expression for the set difference [itex]S-I[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex](A \cup B) \cap C = (A \cap C)\cup(B\cap C)\,[/itex]
[itex] (A \cap B) \cup C = (A \cup C)\cap(B\cup C)\,[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use the set algebra identities to simplify, I need to write S-I in terms of set differences of An. Are there any identities involving infinite union/intersection that might be of help? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Greetings, fellow scientist!

To find an expression for the set difference S-I, we can use the following identity:

(A \cup B) \setminus C = (A \setminus C) \cup (B \setminus C)

Applying this to our problem, we have:

S-I = (S \setminus I) \cup (I \setminus S)

Using the given expressions for S and I, we have:

S-I = (\cap_{n=1}^\infty\cup^\infty_{k=n}A_k) \setminus (\cup_{n=1}^\infty\cap^\infty_{k=n}A_k)

Now, using the definition of set difference, we have:

S-I = \{x \mid x \in (\cap_{n=1}^\infty\cup^\infty_{k=n}A_k) \text{ and } x \notin (\cup_{n=1}^\infty\cap^\infty_{k=n}A_k)\}

Simplifying the above expression, we get:

S-I = \{x \mid x \in A_n \text{ for some } n \text{ and } x \notin A_m \text{ for all } m \geq n\}

In other words, the elements in S-I are those that are in at least one of the sets An, but not in any of the sets beyond An.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a set theoretic problem?

A set theoretic problem is a mathematical problem that involves the manipulation and analysis of sets, which are collections of elements or objects. These problems often involve operations such as union, intersection, and complement of sets.

2. What is lim sup and lim inf?

Lim sup and lim inf are two important concepts in real analysis and measure theory. Lim sup, or limit superior, is the largest limit point of a sequence of numbers, while lim inf, or limit inferior, is the smallest limit point of a sequence of numbers. These concepts are used to describe the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity or negative infinity.

3. What is the relationship between lim sup and lim inf?

The lim sup and lim inf are related in that they bound a sequence from above and below, respectively. In other words, the lim sup is always greater than or equal to the lim inf. Additionally, if the lim sup and lim inf are equal, then the sequence is said to have a limit or be convergent.

4. How do you solve a set theoretic problem?

To solve a set theoretic problem, you typically need to use logical reasoning and the properties of sets. This may involve drawing Venn diagrams, writing out set notation, and using set identities. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

5. What are some applications of lim sup and lim inf?

Lim sup and lim inf have various applications in mathematics, including in the study of limits, sequences, series, and continuity. They are also used in probability theory, where they help determine the behavior of random variables. In addition, these concepts have applications in analysis and topology, as well as in other fields such as computer science and physics.