Set Theory, relations, transitivity

In summary: S, (b, c) is not in S. But then I thought that if (a, b) and (b, c) are in R then (a, c) must also be in R, but this is not the case. So I am not sure how to show that S is transitive.
covers

Homework Statement

A is some set.
R is a relation (set of ordered pairs), and is transitive on A.
S = {(x,y) | (x,y) is element of R, (y,x) is not element of R}

Show that S is transitive and trichotomic on A.

Homework Equations

Transitivity: With xRy and yRz ==> xRz

The Attempt at a Solution

For all x, y, z element of A : xRy and yRz ==> xRz
and for all a, b, c element of A: aRb and bRc ==> aRc

Now my problem: when I want to show transitivity from S on A, how can I be sure that c != x and a != z, because S is defined as (x,y) element R but not (y, x).

It would be nice if someone could write out the solution for this problem in full. I need a good example to hold on to when trying to solve other problems. I hope I don't ask for to much...

Physics news on Phys.org
For all x, y, z element of A : xRy and yRz ==> xRz​
for all a, b, c element of A: aRb and bRc ==> aRc​
Those two statements say exactly the same thing. What did you mean to say here? (In words, if you can't say it in symbols)

Suppose (x,y) and (y,z) are in S. You then want to show that (x,z) is in S. Well looking at the definition of S, this means that if (x,y) and (y,z) are in R and (y,x) and (z,y) aren't in R, then (x,z) is in R and (z,x) is not in R. So we have the following four premises:

1. (x,y) in R
2. (y,z) in R
3. (y,x) not in R
4. (z,y) not in R

and want to conclude

5. (x,z) in R
6. (z,x) not in R.

5 follows from 1 and 2 by transitivity of R. To prove 6 false, suppose it were true, then we'd have the following fact:

6'. (z,x) in R.

By 1 and 6' and transitivity of R, we'd conclude:

7'. (z,y) in R.

but this contradicts premise 4, so 6' is false, meaning 6 is indeed true, as desired. By 5 and 6, we conclude (x,z) is in S, so S is transitive.

You can't prove trichotomy, since it doesn't hold in general. For example, let A = {1,2} and let R be the empty relation. R is trivially transitive. Since R is empty, S is empty. Hence neither (1,2) nor (2,1) is in S, but clearly 1 is not equal to 2 either.

Suppose (x,y) and (y,z) are in S. You then want to show that (x,z) is in S. Well looking at the definition of S, this means that if (x,y) and (y,z) are in R and (y,x) and (z,y) aren't in R, then (x,z) is in R and (z,x) is not in R. So we have the following four premises:

1. (x,y) in R
2. (y,z) in R
3. (y,x) not in R
4. (z,y) not in R

and want to conclude

5. (x,z) in R
6. (z,x) not in R.

5 follows from 1 and 2 by transitivity of R. To prove 6 false, suppose it were true, then we'd have the following fact:

6'. (z,x) in R.

By 1 and 6' and transitivity of R, we'd conclude:

7'. (z,y) in R.

but this contradicts premise 4, so 6' is false, meaning 6 is indeed true, as desired. By 5 and 6, we conclude (x,z) is in S, so S is transitive.

Thank you very much, this was exactly what I was looking for!

You can't prove trichotomy, since it doesn't hold in general. For example, let A = {1,2} and let R be the empty relation. R is trivially transitive. Since R is empty, S is empty. Hence neither (1,2) nor (2,1) is in S, but clearly 1 is not equal to 2 either.

There must be an error in the problem statement then...

For all x, y, z element of A : xRy and yRz ==> xRz
for all a, b, c element of A: aRb and bRc ==> aRc

Those two statements say exactly the same thing. What did you mean to say here? (In words, if you can't say it in symbols)

Sorry for that. Actually I am not sure anymore what I wanted to say with that... but I believe it was something like that:

Say (x, y) and (y, z) is in R, then it follows that (x, z) is in R
Say also that (a, b) and (b, c) is in R, then (a, c) must be in R too.

Now I wanted to show that S is transitive, but as for any two elements of S it can never be that (x, y) is in S and (y, x) is in S. So I thought I had to show somehow that (a, c) is not equal to (y, x). But it was the wrong approach, because as far as I can see, this doesn't prove anything anyway...

Related to Set Theory, relations, transitivity

1. What is Set Theory and why is it important in science?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is important in science because it provides a formal framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems, making it a fundamental tool in many scientific disciplines such as physics, computer science, and biology.

2. What are the basic operations in Set Theory?

The basic operations in Set Theory are union, intersection, and complement. Union combines two sets to form a new set containing all the elements from both sets. Intersection finds the common elements between two sets, while complement finds the elements that are in one set but not in the other.

3. What are relations in Set Theory?

Relations in Set Theory are a way of describing how elements in one set are related to elements in another set. A relation can be represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element is from the first set and the second element is from the second set. For example, the relation "is greater than" can be represented as {(5,2), (10,6), (7,3)}.

4. What is transitivity in Set Theory?

Transitivity is a property of relations in Set Theory that states that if a relation exists between two elements, and another relation exists between the second element and a third element, then there is a third relation between the first and third element. For example, if A is greater than B and B is greater than C, then A is greater than C.

5. How is Set Theory used in computer science?

Set Theory is used in computer science to model data structures and algorithms, such as lists, trees, and graphs. It also forms the basis of relational databases and is used in the design of programming languages and compilers.