SGDQ 2016 (Video Game Speedrunning Event for Charity)

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2016 Game
In summary, the Summer Games Done Quick marathon starts tomorrow and runs until July 10th. There are a variety of games being played, some of which are familiar to speed runners, and the event has already raised $611,000 towards charity.
Drakkith
Mentor
For those that are interested, the annual charity event "Summer Games Done Quick" starts tomorrow (July 3rd) and runs through July 10th. From the event website:

Summer Games Done Quick is an annual charity video game marathon streamed live here and on Twitch.TV, with donations going directly to Doctors Without Borders (no middle-man)! The event features high-level play by speedrunners, playing games as quickly as possible. During the stream, viewers can donate to see various challenges completed, or to be entered in for awesome prizes! Make sure to come back for the show, starting at 11:30 AM Central Time Sunday, right here!

Event schedule: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
The event can be watched live at the event's twitch streaming channel at https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

If you like watching video game speedrunning, or think you might, be sure to tune in!

Likes Pepper Mint, 1oldman2, collinsmark and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Upcoming games today:

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
BioShock
Dishonored
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy

Likes 1oldman2
Drakkith said:
Upcoming games today:

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
BioShock
Dishonored
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
Some of the games on the schedule really brought back memories, I was surprised to see Diablo2 LOD but not my favorite, D3 reaper of souls.

1oldman2 said:
Some of the games on the schedule really brought back memories, I was surprised to see Diablo2 LOD but not my favorite, D3 reaper of souls.

Indeed. Diablo 2 has a much larger speedrunning community than Diablo 3 as far as I know. A lot of people look down on D3, mostly because it isn't D2 with better graphics (wasn't what they were expecting) in my opinion.

Likes 1oldman2
Drakkith said:
Indeed. Diablo 2 has a much larger speedrunning community than Diablo 3 as far as I know. A lot of people look down on D3, mostly because it isn't D2 with better graphics (wasn't what they were expecting) in my opinion.
I spent a lot of years running around "Sanctuary" but towards the end the hacks took away the challenge in D2, and your correct, 3 was not at all what people expected. D3 is dynamic enough that the burnout factor is quickly ruled moot by the next "patch" so I have a hard time looking back on D2, haven't missed a season yet. (by the way I love the HD graphics in zoom mode, very intense) :nb)

Likes Drakkith
Only two more days of the marathon remain. So far they've raised $611,000 towards charity and I wouldn't be surprised if they break one million by the end.

Likes 1oldman2
Current speedrun is a three-way Super Mario World race. And don't miss the Mega Man block coming up soon after!

Likes 1oldman2
We're coming down to the last few hours of the marathon. Currently, the event has raised $955,000 towards charity and should easily break one-million by the end of the day. There's three hours left in the current Final Fantasy VI run, followed by a 4-player Super Metroid race, which is always one of the most popular events of the marathon, and the last event is a Super Mario RPG speedrun.

If you haven't tuned in yet, I highly recommend watching these last few runs!

You should be able to find the entire thing on youtube if you want to see it.

What is SGDQ 2016 and what does it stand for?

SGDQ 2016 stands for Summer Games Done Quick 2016. It is a week-long video game speedrunning event for charity, where gamers from around the world gather to showcase their skills and raise money for a chosen charity organization.

When and where was SGDQ 2016 held?

SGDQ 2016 was held on July 3-9, 2016 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. The event was held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bloomington - Minneapolis South.

How much money was raised during SGDQ 2016?

SGDQ 2016 raised a total of $1,310,117 for Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), a non-profit organization that provides medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare.

Who can participate in SGDQ 2016?

Anyone can participate in SGDQ 2016, as long as they are skilled in speedrunning video games and are willing to follow the event's rules and guidelines. Participants must also go through a submission process and be accepted by the event organizers.

What is the purpose of SGDQ 2016?

The main purpose of SGDQ 2016 is to raise money for charity. The event also aims to bring together the gaming community and promote the art of speedrunning, where players attempt to complete a game as quickly as possible using various techniques and glitches.