Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) 2017

In summary, SGDQ is a charity marathon where viewers can donate money to see various speedruns of video games. There are many games not represented, and the marathon typically lasts for eight hours. The marathon is followed by a game of Tetris.
Drakkith
Mentor
It's that time again! Summer Games Done Quick is starting tomorrow!
What is SGDQ you ask? I'll let wiki do the talking:

Games Done Quick is a semiannual video game speedrun charity marathon held in the United States, originally organized by the Speed Demos Archive and Speedruns Live communities. Since 2015, it has been handled by Games Done Quick, LLC.Held since 2010, the events have raised money for several charities; the most common two being the Prevent Cancer Foundation and Doctors Without Borders. The events are broadcast live on Twitch. Viewers are encouraged to donate for incentives during the stream such as naming characters in a run, having the runners attempt more difficult challenges, or winning prizes.Over $10 million has been raised across sixteen marathons.

The schedule is located here: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

So if you like video games and speedrunning, or if you've never seen a video game speedrun before, be sure to check it out! It runs for an entire week, so you have no excuse for not tuning in!

Likes Greg Bernhardt and mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a reminder, SGDQ 2017 is currently on it's 2nd day and has already raised over $200,000. And because I have the mental faculties of an elderly canine, I forgot to include the link to watch the marathon: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

I really enjoy SGDQ! Hoping to catch some coverage after this crazy 4th weekend ends!

Likes Drakkith
Update: The event has raised over $500,000 so far!

The Megaman X block is coming up soon, where they'll be running X1, X2, X3, and X6, and then The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is after that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Chrono Trigger on right now. What a classic!

Tetris is later tonight and that is always impressive!

Likes Drakkith
What! still no D3? that games made for speedrunning,

1oldman2 said:

There are many games which are not represented. I was amazed they devoted 8 hours to the final fantasy 7 run!

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Several things are account-bound, you cannot properly start with a new character unless you buy the game for the run. You could run through the game with an equipped character, but I'm not sure how interesting that is, and the time would depend a lot on how good the equipment is.

Likes 1oldman2

What is Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) 2017?

Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) 2017 is an annual gaming marathon event organized by the charity organization, Games Done Quick. It features speedrunners from around the world who play video games at lightning-fast speeds to raise money for charity.

When and where is SGDQ 2017 taking place?

SGDQ 2017 is taking place from July 2nd to 9th, 2017 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Bloomington, Minnesota.

What games will be featured at SGDQ 2017?

SGDQ 2017 will feature over 150 games from various platforms, including classic and modern games. Some notable games include Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Dark Souls III.

How can I watch SGDQ 2017?

SGDQ 2017 will be live-streamed on the official Games Done Quick Twitch channel. You can also watch the event on YouTube or VODs (videos on demand) after the event.

How can I support SGDQ 2017?

You can support SGDQ 2017 by donating directly to the charity organization, Games Done Quick, or by purchasing merchandise from their website. All proceeds go towards supporting the chosen charity for the event.