Summer Games Done Quick (Video Game Speedrunning)

In summary, the annual Summer Games Done Quick charity event is currently live and can be watched on Twitch. The schedule of games can be found on the Games Done Quick website. Some notable runs include "Zombies Ate My Neighbors" and "Super Mario 3". A particularly impressive speedrun to watch is the 4 player Super Metroid race at AGDQ 2014. Other impressive runs include Money Ball and Tetris. Tune in tomorrow for Metroid and Mega Man.
Drakkith
Mentor
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking forward to "Zombies Ate My Neighbors" and "Super Mario 3"

I woke up about 30 minutes ago, about an hour too late to watch the Toejam and Earl speedrun! :sorry:

Drakkith said:
I woke up about 30 minutes ago, about an hour too late to watch the Toejam and Earl speedrun! :sorry:
That was a good one. Money ball now and it's real impressive. I remember having lots of trouble with it years ago.

I will say, I've never seen a speedrun better than the 4 player Super Metroid race at AGDQ 2014 (the winter version of SGDQ). If you've ever played Super Metroid, watch it. You'll be amazed at how good the players are and the race itself is nail-bitingly awesome!

Greg Bernhardt said:
That was a good one. Money ball now and it's real impressive. I remember having lots of trouble with it years ago.

Yeah, I'm watching it now. I've never played the game, but I can tell the player is really good.
I can't wait for Octodad next!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Watched some crazy Tetris play. One guy got to some invisible mode. Unreal.

Yeah, that was crazy!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I'm done for the night, the next games are too long. I'll tune in tomorrow for Metroid and Mega Man.

Likes Drakkith

1. What is Summer Games Done Quick?

Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) is an annual week-long charity speedrunning marathon event where gamers come together to showcase their skills and complete video games as quickly as possible. The event is live-streamed and all donations go to benefit a chosen charity.

2. When and where does Summer Games Done Quick take place?

SGDQ takes place in the summer, usually in late June or early July. The event is held in a different location each year, with past locations including Bloomington, Minnesota and Orlando, Florida.

3. How are the games chosen for the event?

The games for SGDQ are chosen through a submission process where speedrunners can submit their game and category for consideration. A committee then reviews the submissions and selects the games that will be featured in the event.

4. Who can participate in Summer Games Done Quick?

Any speedrunner is welcome to submit their game for consideration and potentially participate in SGDQ. However, there are certain requirements and guidelines that must be followed, such as completing the game within a certain time limit and adhering to the event's rules and regulations.

5. How much money has SGDQ raised for charity?

As of 2021, SGDQ has raised over $50 million for various charities, including Doctors Without Borders, Prevent Cancer Foundation, and AbleGamers. The event continues to grow in popularity and has become a major source of fundraising for important causes.