Shape of infinitesimal volumes

In summary, infinitesimal elements of any shape can be utilized in physics as long as they can be stacked together to form a solid large shape without any gaps. However, it is most convenient to use shapes such as cubes or spherical shells for mathematical calculations.
themagiciant95
In physics we often use objects with infinitesimal volume. An example is the infinitesimal volumes that we use to calculate the electrostatic field knowing the charge distribution.
Very often in the books i studied these infinitesimal elements are represented as infinitesimal cubes.
My question: can i utilize infinitesimal elements of an arbitrary shape ? For example spherical ? And why is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
themagiciant95 said:
In physics we often use objects with infinitesimal volume. An example is the infinitesimal volumes that we use to calculate the electrostatic field knowing the charge distribution.
Very often in the books i studied these infinitesimal elements are represented as infinitesimal cubes.
My question: can i utilize infinitesimal elements of an arbitrary shape ? For example spherical ? And why is it possible?

It depends on what coordinates you are using. With plane polar coordinates, for example, an area element has the form:

##dr \times rd\phi##

and is a curvilinear wedge shape.

themagiciant95 said:
Yes, as long as you avoid doing anything too terribly pathological. For example, the general expression for the mass within a volume is ##\int_V\mu(...)~\mathrm{d}V## where ##\mu## is the density as a function of position. If the mass distribution is spherically symmetric then we can use spherical coordinates and the most convenient volume element is a spherical shell: ##\mathrm{d}V=4\pi{r}^{2}\mathrm{d}r##, and the integral is ##\int_0^\infty{4}\pi\mu(r){r}^{2}~\mathrm{d}r##. The choice is mostly one of convenience - in this case you wouldn't want to use a cubical volume element (although a masochist could, after writing ##\mu## as a function of ##x##, ##y##, and ##z##).

As for why it works... It's basically the same limiting process as used for all integrals.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
themagiciant95 said:
can i utilize infinitesimal elements of an arbitrary shape ? For example spherical ? And why is it possible?

You can use any shape, but some shapes will require much more effort to do the algebra than others without offering any benefit for the choice.
We typically make the choice that makes the work easiest.

Likes sophiecentaur and themagiciant95
anorlunda said:
We typically make the choice that makes the work easiest.
That's my general approach to life! :smile:

The small shapes must be capable of being stacked together to form a solid large shape with no gaps between the pieces.

Small rectangular blocks can be stacked without gaps.

Nugatory in post #3 gave an example of concentric hollow spherical shells that can be stacked inside each other with no gaps.

On the other hand, small solid spherical balls can't be stacked side-by-side without gaps, so you can't use those.

Likes Stephen Tashi and Chestermiller

1. What does the term "shape of infinitesimal volumes" mean?

The term "shape of infinitesimal volumes" refers to the study of the geometric properties and characteristics of extremely small volumes, often approaching zero in size. It is an important concept in mathematics and physics, particularly in the fields of calculus and differential equations.

2. Why is the shape of infinitesimal volumes important in scientific research?

The shape of infinitesimal volumes is important because it allows scientists to model and understand physical phenomena at a very small scale. This is especially useful in studying complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics. It also helps in the development of mathematical models and equations to describe these phenomena.

3. How is the shape of infinitesimal volumes related to the concept of limits?

The shape of infinitesimal volumes is closely related to the concept of limits in calculus. As the size of a volume approaches zero, it becomes an infinitesimal, which can be thought of as a mathematical limit. This allows scientists to break down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and analyze them using calculus.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding the shape of infinitesimal volumes?

Understanding the shape of infinitesimal volumes has numerous practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in the design of aircraft wings, studying fluid flow in pipes and channels, and modeling chemical reactions. It is also essential in developing computer graphics and simulations.

5. Can the shape of infinitesimal volumes be visualized?

While it is difficult to visualize infinitesimal volumes due to their small size, it is possible to represent them mathematically using graphs and diagrams. For example, a curve on a graph can represent the shape of an infinitesimal volume, and its slope can indicate the rate of change in that volume. There are also computer programs and simulations that can help visualize infinitesimal volumes in 3D space.