Sharing Ideas with Others, but with Concerns....

• Thread starter Sher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary: It is important to me because I want to help advance the field. I want to help make this a better, more open, and more collaborative process.
Sher
TL;DR Summary
I am working on a project and would love someone else's brain involved to help get past the blocks in my own, but how do you share your ideas with the threat of others stealing them?
I am working on a project. It is by no means a new invention. There are plenty of these things that already exist out in the world. It has become an art form in a way. At times, I feel stuck or feel a creative block and would love to seek out the input of others who could help problem solve, but how? How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's usually best to find local folks to collaborate with, rather than random people on the Internet (well, like us...). What is your background? Are you at University now, or have been in the past? Or are you more of an artist with a technical interest and you figure out the physics/engineering issues as you go?

Have you looked around your local area for like-minded folks with similar interests? In the US, you can use resources like NextDoor to find special interest groups in your local area. You can also check out University websites to see if they have clubs or student societies that may share some of your interests, and contact those groups to find out what kind of projects they are working on.

Is there a professional society that covers your interests? For example, I belonged to the Society for Information Display (SID) for many years when I was pursuing some of my ideas in optics and new display technologies...

https://www.sid.org/

Likes Lnewqban
I wish there were such things around here. I live in a small town and do not have access to local resources like that. I appreciate the input though.

Sher said:
Summary:: I am working on a project and would love someone else's brain involved to help get past the blocks in my own, but how do you share your ideas with the threat of others stealing them?

At times, I feel stuck or feel a creative block and would love to seek out the input of others who could help problem solve, but how? How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?

Talk to your friends about the project. At least you have some idea of which ones you can trust.

Just the process of discussing a problem focuses the mind when trying to explain a problem. The other person may or may not have any new ideas, but your mind is hard at work on it.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Lnewqban
Sher said:
It is by no means a new invention. There are plenty of these things that already exist out in the world. It has become an art form in a way.
Then the concept is now in the community. You are part of that community. Why should you not assist the community that assists you?

Sher said:
At times, I feel stuck or feel a creative block and would love to seek out the input of others who could help problem solve, but how?
Self imposed isolation is usually an overreaction to perfectly normal paranoia. "Inventors" often have an idea that is worth a million dollars, but that is a secret. It is a very common behaviour. It gives you control of your idea, but it cripples your progress until you have been left far behind.

Sher said:
How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?
Earlier you wrote "There are plenty of these things that already exist out in the world".
Most isolated inventors are so far behind that they think they are first. The sooner you make your ideas public, the sooner you can play your part by advancing the field.

Likes Lnewqban
Sher said:
How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?
What is your hoped-for outcome here? Do you wish to produce an object for profit? Are you wanting recognition? You cannot communicate without sharing information.
So why is this important to you?

1. How can I effectively share my ideas with others without being too pushy?

One way to share your ideas without being pushy is to frame them as suggestions rather than demands. Use phrases like "I think" or "Have you considered" instead of "You should" or "You need to." This allows others to consider your ideas without feeling pressured.

2. What should I do if someone disagrees with my ideas?

It's important to remember that not everyone will agree with your ideas, and that's okay. Instead of getting defensive or trying to convince them, listen to their perspective and try to understand their point of view. This can lead to a productive discussion and potentially even improve your ideas.

3. How can I share my ideas without feeling vulnerable?

Sharing ideas can be intimidating, especially if you're worried about criticism or rejection. One way to overcome this is to focus on the potential benefits of sharing your ideas, such as gaining valuable feedback or sparking new ideas in others. It can also help to practice presenting your ideas in a safe and supportive environment first.

4. What if I'm afraid of someone stealing my ideas?

It's natural to be protective of your ideas, but it's important to remember that collaboration and feedback can often lead to better ideas. If you have concerns about someone stealing your ideas, consider setting boundaries and only sharing certain aspects of your ideas. You can also document your ideas and have others sign a non-disclosure agreement before sharing them.

5. How do I know when it's the right time to share my ideas with others?

Timing is important when it comes to sharing ideas. It's best to share them when you feel confident in your ideas and have done enough research and preparation to support them. It's also important to consider the context and audience - make sure you're sharing your ideas with the right people in the right setting.