Shear and Moment Diagram Equations

In summary, the conversation was about writing the shear and moment diagram equations and graphing them. The person asking for help attached their attempted solution in a pdf, but they were having trouble getting the correct answer for the moment diagram. The expert suggests that the shear diagram may be incorrect, as the reaction at the left end should initially start positive. The person acknowledges that they made a mistake in drawing the shear diagram and will make corrections.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Write the shear and moment diagram equations and graph them.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached my attempted solution in a pdf (I know the last section of the moment diagram is supposed to be parabolic, I accidentally drew a straight line instead). I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When I use the method where you just calculate the areas of the shear diagram to get the moment diagram, I get the correct answer. But when I use my moment equation I get 180 instead of 90. I feel like I've had previous problems where my answer was off by a factor of 2. I would really appreciate if someone could catch where I'm making a mistake!

Attachments

• 370_Q4.pdf
    290.1 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to me that your shear diagram is incorrect. The reaction at the left end is upward, so the diagram should initially start positive. See if that helps.

Sorry its kind of hard to see in the pdf, but its -6.25 kip. I should have just drawn it downward instead of tacking on a negative sign.

1. What are shear and moment diagram equations?

Shear and moment diagram equations are mathematical expressions that represent the internal forces and moments within a structure. They are used to analyze and design structures, such as beams and frames, to ensure they can withstand the applied loads.

2. How do you calculate the shear and moment in a beam?

The shear and moment in a beam can be calculated using the equilibrium equations of statics. The shear at any point along the beam can be found by summing the forces in the vertical direction, while the moment can be found by summing the moments about any point on the beam.

3. What is the difference between shear and moment?

Shear and moment are both internal forces within a structure, but they act in different directions. Shear is the force that acts perpendicular to the longitudinal direction of the beam, while moment is the tendency of a force to cause rotation or twisting.

4. What do the shear and moment diagrams represent?

The shear and moment diagrams represent the variation of shear and moment along the length of the beam. The x-axis represents the length of the beam, while the y-axis represents the magnitude of shear or moment. These diagrams are used to visualize the internal forces and determine critical points in the beam.

5. How do you use shear and moment diagrams in structural design?

Shear and moment diagrams are important tools in structural design as they help engineers determine the maximum stresses and deflections in a structure. By analyzing these diagrams, engineers can determine the appropriate size and shape of structural elements to ensure the structure can safely support the applied loads.