Shear and Tensile Strength of Bones

In summary: Young's modulus"," below.Young's Modulus, also called Modulus of elasticity.It is a measure of the rigidity, or stiffness, of the material.Wiki has a a brief description.See the part of "Not to be confused with "Young's modulus"," below.
EnricoHendro
TL;DR Summary
why are most bone fractures not caused by compression but by twisting and or bending (shear modulus of bones is far greater than their Young's modulus)
Hello there,

I'm currently studying shear and compression. I am wondering, in my textbook, it says that most bone fractures are not caused by compression but by twisting or bending?? I mean bone's shear modulus is as great as that of a steel's, but its young modulus is far smaller than its shear modulus. Is it correct if I assume that this is because this twisting or bending that causes most of bone fractures are generated with great velocity, while compression subjected to bones in general does not generated with great velocity??

Engineering news on Phys.org
EnricoHendro said:
Summary:: why are most bone fractures not caused by compression but by twisting and or bending (shear modulus of bones is far greater than their Young's modulus)

Hello there,

I'm currently studying shear and compression. I am wondering, in my textbook, it says that most bone fractures are not caused by compression but by twisting or bending?? I mean bone's shear modulus is as great as that of a steel's, but its young modulus is far smaller than its shear modulus. Is it correct if I assume that this is because this twisting or bending that causes most of bone fractures are generated with great velocity, while compression subjected to bones in general does not generated with great velocity??
Hi Enrico,
Shear modulus tells you the stress-strain ratio, not the strength of the material.
You should look at the USS /UTS ( Ultimate shear to Tensial strength ) or SYS/TYS ( shear yield strength to tensile yield strength ) ratios for a material to get a shear strength, as long as the material is homogenous and isotropic.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
256bits said:
Hi Enrico,
Shear modulus tells you the stress-strain ratio, not the strength of the material.
You should look at the USS /UTS ( Ultimate shear to Tensial strength ) or SYS/TYS ( shear yield strength to tensile yield strength ) ratios for a material to get a shear strength, as long as the material is homogenous and isotropic.
I see...does the young modulus also work that way?? I mean does Young's modulus only tell us the stress-strain ratio?? thanks

EnricoHendro said:
I see...does the young modulus also work that way?? I mean does Young's modulus only tell us the stress-strain ratio?? thanks
Young's Modulus, also called Modulus of elasticity.
It is a measure of the rigidity, or stiffness, of the material.
Wiki has a a brief description.
See the part of "Not to be confused with "

1. What is shear strength and tensile strength of bones?

Shear strength and tensile strength are two measures of the mechanical properties of bones. Shear strength refers to the maximum amount of force that a bone can withstand before breaking or fracturing when a force is applied parallel to the surface of the bone. Tensile strength, on the other hand, is the maximum amount of force that a bone can withstand before breaking or fracturing when a force is applied perpendicular to the surface of the bone.

2. How do shear and tensile strength of bones differ?

Shear and tensile strength differ in terms of the direction of the applied force. Shear strength is measured when a force is applied parallel to the surface of the bone, while tensile strength is measured when a force is applied perpendicular to the surface of the bone. Additionally, the values for shear and tensile strength can vary depending on the type and location of the bone in the body.

3. What factors affect the shear and tensile strength of bones?

The shear and tensile strength of bones can be affected by various factors, including age, gender, bone density, and overall health. As we age, our bones tend to become weaker and more brittle, which can decrease their shear and tensile strength. Gender can also play a role, as men typically have stronger bones than women due to hormonal differences. Bone density, which is affected by factors such as diet and exercise, can also impact the strength of bones.

4. How are the shear and tensile strength of bones measured?

Shear and tensile strength of bones are typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a universal testing machine. This machine applies a controlled force to a bone sample and measures the amount of force required to cause the bone to break or fracture. The results are then used to calculate the shear and tensile strength of the bone.

5. Why is understanding the shear and tensile strength of bones important?

Understanding the shear and tensile strength of bones is important in the fields of medicine and biomechanics. It can help doctors and researchers better understand bone health and the risk of fractures and other injuries. Additionally, this knowledge can be used to develop treatments and interventions to improve bone strength and prevent injuries.