Determine the shear modulus

In summary, The question is asking for the shear modulus of a metal wire with a diameter of 1mm and subjected to a tensile load of 200N. The given information includes the youngs modulus of titanium (110GPa) and the poisson's ratio (0.33). To solve for the shear modulus, the formula E=2G(1+V) can be used, where E is the elastic modulus and V is the poisson's ratio. Rearranging the equation, the shear modulus can be calculated as 41.35GPa.
haamed
hi there, I am completely stuck on this question and was wondering if anyone could help me out here;

''a metal wire has a diameter of 1mm. when subjected to a tensile load of 200N the diameter is 0.99925. if the youngs modulus of the titanium is 110GPa, determine the shear modulus of the metal.''

the forumula for shear modulus is 'shear stress/shear strain'

but finding shear strain applies to displacement of solids.

using poisson's ratio means i need to find the length but there isn't one specified,

i am stuck

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this out.

First calculate the tensile stress produced from the loading. Then look at the relations between stress, strain, and the elastic modulus.

EDIT: Sorry I missed that you already have the elastic modulus. Disregard the above.

Thanks
Matt

lol, i read the question carefully and realized titanium pops up, so the formula

E=2G (1+V) might do

V= 0.33
E=110GPa
i found a shear modulus calculator anf found the answer is 41.35GPa

but to work it out i have to rearrange the equation to make G the subject?

Last edited:

1. What is shear modulus?

Shear modulus, also known as the modulus of rigidity, is a measure of a material's resistance to deformation in response to an applied shear stress. It is a property of a material that describes its ability to withstand shearing forces.

2. How is shear modulus calculated?

Shear modulus is calculated by dividing the shear stress by the shear strain. It is expressed in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the difference between shear modulus and Young's modulus?

Shear modulus and Young's modulus are both measures of a material's elasticity, but they describe different types of stress. Shear modulus measures a material's resistance to shear stress, while Young's modulus measures its resistance to tensile or compressive stress.

4. How does shear modulus affect the properties of a material?

Shear modulus is an important factor in determining a material's strength and flexibility. Materials with a high shear modulus are stiffer and less prone to deformation, while materials with a low shear modulus are more flexible and can undergo larger deformations without breaking.

5. How is shear modulus used in engineering and materials science?

Shear modulus is used in a variety of applications, including designing and testing materials for construction, calculating the stability of structures, and determining the performance of mechanical components. It is also used in the study of earthquakes and the behavior of soils and rocks under stress.