Bending motion and shear force

In summary, the conversation discussed a cantilever beam with a length of 2 meters and a 5KN load at point (A). The question was how to find the distance of point X, located halfway along the beam, in order to calculate the magnitudes of Ra and Rb for determining bending motion and shear force. The response included an equation of Ra = 5X/12 and a link to a resource for further guidance. Additional questions were raised about the accuracy of the equations and a request for a diagram.
lee123456789
Homework Statement
none
Relevant Equations
none
A cantilever beam 2 meter in length, 5KN act at point (A) of the beam. There is point x it looks like half way along the beam. how do i workout the distance of point X so work out the magnidues of Ra and Rb so i can go onto working out bending motion and shear force?ruff idea i had
1) Ra x 2 = 5 x X = 5X
2) Ra = 5X/12 = 0.416XkN

Physics news on Phys.org
I can’t understand the diagram only by the description.
Could you show some drawing, please?

Lnewqban said:
I can’t understand the diagram only by the description.
Could you show some drawing, please?
Screenshot 2020-10-28 180157.png

Likes Lnewqban
There is no Ra in your case.
First, complete a free body diagram and the equations of static balance for the vertical forces and the moments.

1. What is bending motion and shear force?

Bending motion and shear force are two types of forces that act on a structure or object. Bending motion refers to the deformation or movement of an object due to a force applied perpendicular to its length, while shear force refers to the force applied parallel to the object's surface.

2. How do bending motion and shear force affect structures?

Bending motion and shear force can cause a structure to deform, bend, or break if the forces exceed the object's strength or if the object is not designed to withstand these forces. They are important considerations in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure their stability and safety.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of bending motion and shear force?

The magnitude of bending motion and shear force can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, the shape and size of the object, the direction and location of the applied force, and the support conditions of the object.

4. How are bending motion and shear force calculated?

Bending motion and shear force can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas based on the principles of mechanics and the properties of the object. These calculations are important in determining the strength and stability of a structure and in identifying potential weak points.

5. How can bending motion and shear force be minimized?

In the design and construction of structures, engineers use various techniques to minimize bending motion and shear force. These include selecting appropriate materials, using reinforcement and bracing, and distributing the load evenly across the structure. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.