Shear force while bending a metal rod

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving two rods with different profiles and the application of force in the middle, causing bending. The conversation explores ways to theoretically model the distribution of pressure and shear force along the length of the rod. An expression is provided to describe the vertical displacement at a given point, and the conversation discusses the relationship between curvature and bending moment. The goal is to plot a graph showing the relationship between shear force and distance from the support.
skrat

Homework Statement

Let me first add a picture of the experiment and than try to describe my problem:
pal-efwegf.jpg

So I have two rods (one with a square profile and the other one with a circle profile) and what I do is I apply some force in the middle. The rod bends under the applied pressure.

Ideally I could say that all the force from the weight is concentrated only in one point of the rod. naturally, that is not true - a more realistic model is that the pressure from the weight is somehow distributed over the whole length of the rod. The shear force depends on how far away from the supporter we are or how close to the center we are where the shear force is the biggest. Sadly the shear force does not decrease linearly. Now my problem is to find out a theoretical model to describe how the shear force depends from the distance from the supporter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do... :/

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't say whether the load is in the middle -looks like it is.
Either way, you can calculate the vertical force at each support.
Assuming the rod is pretty much horizontal at the load, you can treat it as though the rod is held rigidly at that point while a support pushes up at each end. This allows you to treat the two sides separately.
At distance x from the load, what is the bending moment due to the support beyond x?

haruspex said:
You don't say whether the load is in the middle -looks like it is.
Either way, you can calculate the vertical force at each support.
Assuming the rod is pretty much horizontal at the load, you can treat it as though the rod is held rigidly at that point while a support pushes up at each end. This allows you to treat the two sides separately.
At distance x from the load, what is the bending moment due to the support beyond x?

The load is in the middle!
And yes, the idea is to treat the two sides separately.

Well, I checked some old notes and I found and expression that describes how much the rod bends as function of x:
##u(x)=-\frac{F_0l^3}{48EJ}(1-6(\frac{x}{l})^2+4(\frac{x}{l})^3)## where E is young's module, J moment of inertia and l length of the one half rod.

So... Moment should therefore be M=F(x)*u(x), where F(x) should tell how the load is distributed over the entire rod?

skrat said:
Well, I checked some old notes and I found and expression that describes how much the rod bends as function of x:
##u(x)=-\frac{F_0l^3}{48EJ}(1-6(\frac{x}{l})^2+4(\frac{x}{l})^3)## where E is young's module, J moment of inertia and l length of the one half rod.

So... Moment should therefore be M=F(x)*u(x), where F(x) should tell how the load is distributed over the entire rod?
Why would the moment be given by that?
The moment at a point is the cross-product of the applied load and the distance from the point to the load. (More generally, the sum of these on one side.) If the upward force at a support is F then that's (l-x)F.
From that you can determine the curvature at point x, and by integrating get the gradient and, eventually, the total vertical displacement at point x. Depending on what you mean by 'how much the rod bends', one of those should match the equation from your notes.

haruspex said:
Why would the moment be given by that?
The moment at a point is the cross-product of the applied load and the distance from the point to the load. (More generally, the sum of these on one side.) If the upward force at a support is F then that's (l-x)F.

Omg, What was I thinking?...

haruspex said:
From that you can determine the curvature at point x, and by integrating get the gradient and, eventually, the total vertical displacement at point x. Depending on what you mean by 'how much the rod bends', one of those should match the equation from your notes.

the expression above, u(x), should be the vertical displacement at given x. Now... I didn't really want to calculate the curvature at point x, I kinda wanted to just say that curvature is constant.

I have to plot a graph that will describe how shear force depends on x (and how momentum depends on x). So...

Related to Shear force while bending a metal rod

1. What is shear force in relation to bending a metal rod?

Shear force is the force that acts perpendicular to the cross-section of a material. In bending a metal rod, shear force is the force that causes the material to deform and potentially fail.

2. How is shear force measured while bending a metal rod?

Shear force is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, and is typically calculated using the formula F = VQ / I, where F is the shear force, V is the shear stress, Q is the first moment of area, and I is the moment of inertia.

3. What factors affect the shear force while bending a metal rod?

The amount of shear force on a metal rod is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the rod, the angle of the bend, the radius of the bend, and the applied load or force.

4. How does shear force differ from bending moment?

Shear force and bending moment are related but distinct forces. Bending moment is the moment of force that causes a material to bend or twist, while shear force is the force that causes the material to shear or break.

5. Why is understanding shear force important in bending metal rods?

Understanding shear force is crucial in bending metal rods because it helps engineers and scientists determine the maximum load a material can handle before failure. By analyzing shear force, they can design structures and materials that can withstand the necessary forces and perform safely and efficiently.