Shear stress resisted by a bolt

In summary, the author inquired about the use of (30x10^3) /s = VQ / I instead of 4(30x10^3) /s = VQ / I in a problem involving bolts on a centered board. The responder explained that the 30x10^3 was not specified and that the method used was incorrect. It was suggested to use the top right or left board's full area or to divide the middle and bottom areas by 2 for conceptual understanding.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In this problem , why the author use (30x10^3) /s = VQ / I only ? Shouldnt it be 4(30x10^3) /s = VQ / I

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said so , because the board at the centered is connected by 4 bolts , 2 on the left and 2 on the right . The faces on the right also resisted by the same arrangement of nails , right ?

Attachments

• 519.PNG
    519.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 520.PNG
    520.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 432
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

In this problem , why the author use (30x10^3) /s = VQ / I only ? Shouldnt it be 4(30x10^3) /s = VQ / I

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said so , because the board at the centered is connected by 4 bolts , 2 on the left and 2 on the right . The faces on the right also resisted by the same arrangement of nails , right ?
Where did the 30x10^3 come from? Regardless, your method is wrong. In determining Q for bolt shear, either you use the top right board full area, or the top left board full area, or the middle and 2 bottom areas divided by 2 ( this last method not recommended, but may help conceptually with your understanding).

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is the force applied parallel to the surface of an object, causing it to deform or shear.

2. How does a bolt resist shear stress?

A bolt can resist shear stress by transferring the force between two or more objects through its body and into the surrounding material.

3. What factors affect the shear stress resisted by a bolt?

The shear stress resisted by a bolt is affected by factors such as the material properties of the bolt and the surrounding material, the size and diameter of the bolt, and the type of loading applied.

4. How is the shear stress resisted by a bolt calculated?

The shear stress resisted by a bolt can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the cross-sectional area of the bolt.

5. What is the importance of considering shear stress in bolt design?

Considering shear stress in bolt design is important because it ensures that the bolt is strong enough to withstand the forces and prevent failure, ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the connected objects.