Sheer and bending moment diagrams

In summary, for concentrated loads, the shear diagram is constant with straight horizontal lines and the bending moment diagram is linear. For evenly distributed loads, the shear diagram is linear and the bending moment diagram is quadratic. When there is a linearly distributed load, the shear diagram becomes quadratic and the bending moment diagram becomes cubic. However, the variables in this problem make it difficult to visualize and solve.
fayan77
ok so for concentrated loads the sheer diagram is constant meaning are straight horizontal lines and the bending moment diagram is linear. when there are evenly distributed loads sheer diagram is linear and bending moment diagram is quadratic. I am thinking that when there is a load distributed linearly like in the picture below the sheer diagram would be quadratic and the bending moment diagram cubic. I am kind of stuck on this problem all the variables make it harder to visualize what is happening I have done this so far but i got stuck when trying to find the bending moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 7.45.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 7.45.14 PM.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
fayan77 said:
the sheer diagram is constant meaning are straight horizontal lines
I cannot make sense of that.
fayan77 said:
when there is a load distributed linearly like in the picture below the sheer diagram would be quadratic and the bending moment diagram cubic.
Seems reasonable. Can you write the equations?

1. What are sheer and bending moment diagrams?

Sheer and bending moment diagrams are graphical representations of the internal forces acting on a structural element, such as a beam or column. They show the distribution of shear and bending moments along the length of the element.

2. What information do sheer and bending moment diagrams provide?

Sheer and bending moment diagrams provide information about the internal forces and stresses within a structural element, which is important for designing and analyzing structures.

3. How are sheer and bending moment diagrams created?

Sheer and bending moment diagrams are created by using equations and principles of mechanics, such as equilibrium and compatibility equations, to calculate the internal forces and moments at different points along the element.

4. What are the differences between sheer and bending moment diagrams?

The main difference between sheer and bending moment diagrams is that sheer diagrams show the distribution of shear forces along the length of the element, while bending moment diagrams show the distribution of bending moments. Shear forces act perpendicular to the length of the element, while bending moments act parallel to the length of the element.

5. Why are sheer and bending moment diagrams important in structural engineering?

Shear and bending moment diagrams are important in structural engineering because they help engineers understand the behavior of structural elements under different loading conditions. This information is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures.