Uniformly distributed load - Max bending moment help

In summary: After all, dM / dx = V, where V is the shear force and M is the bending moment.What can you say about dM / dx where the bending moment is a maximum?If you want to find x where M(x) has a max. or min. value, then dM(x) / dx = 0. Since also dM(x) / dx = V(x), then the points x1, x2, ..., at which the shear force V(x) = 0 are also the points at which the bending moment has a maximum or minimum value.This is a basic application of the derivative and should have been covered in your calculus
JohnP60

Homework Statement

I have to work out the reactions at A & D. Sketch the shear force diagram for the beam and sketch the bending moment diagram.

i have worked out the reactions at A=56kN and D=34kN. I have done the SFD. I am just struggling doing the bending moment diagram and don't know how to work out the maximum bending moment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

RA + RD = 90kN

5RD = (20X1) + (60X2) + (10X3)
5RD = 170kN
RD = 34kN

RA=56kN.

I have done the SFD.

Bending moment diagram i have to state the three significant values.

I have left side as (56x1) = 56kN M
right hand side is (34x2) = 68kN M
i just don't know how to work out the maximum bending moment would appreciate any help

Attachments

• CAjHzb4WgAA5flw.jpg
    CAjHzb4WgAA5flw.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the shear force diagram, this should tell you at which locations to look for the maximum bending moment.

After all, dM / dx = V, where V is the shear force and M is the bending moment.

What can you say about dM / dx where the bending moment is a maximum?

SteamKing said:
If you have the shear force diagram, this should tell you at which locations to look for the maximum bending moment.

After all, dM / dx = V, where V is the shear force and M is the bending moment.

What can you say about dM / dx where the bending moment is a maximum?

How would i go about doing my bending moment diagram from this sfd. how do i put data into that equation. i worked out x as 1.2m

Attachments

• CAjX0FHWAAAxymR.jpg
    CAjX0FHWAAAxymR.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 347
JohnP60 said:
How would i go about doing my bending moment diagram from this sfd. how do i put data into that equation. i worked out x as 1.2m

The equation was not put there so that you could calculate M, but to illustrate how to use the shear force diagram to find the locations along the beam where M is a maximum.

If you want to find where a given function has a maximum, in this case the function is M(x), or bending moment as a function of position x along the beam, the point(s) at which the first derivative is zero coincide with the locations where the function has a maximum or minimum.

In other words, if you want to find x where M(x) has a max. or min. value, then dM(x) / dx = 0. Since also dM(x) / dx = V(x), then the points x1, x2, ..., at which the shear force V(x) = 0 are also the points at which the bending moment has a maximum or minimum value.

This is a basic application of the derivative and should have been covered in your calculus course.

What is a uniformly distributed load?

A uniformly distributed load is a type of load that is evenly distributed over a certain area or length. This means that the load is spread out evenly and has the same intensity at all points along the area or length.

How is a uniformly distributed load represented in equations?

In equations, a uniformly distributed load is represented by the symbol "w" or "q". This load is typically measured in force per unit length, such as pounds per inch or newtons per meter.

What is the formula for calculating the maximum bending moment caused by a uniformly distributed load?

The formula for calculating the maximum bending moment caused by a uniformly distributed load is M = wL^2/8, where M is the maximum bending moment, w is the uniformly distributed load, and L is the length of the beam. This formula assumes that the load is applied at the midpoint of the beam.

How does the maximum bending moment change with different load distributions?

The maximum bending moment is directly proportional to the load intensity and the length of the beam. This means that as the load intensity or the length of the beam increases, the maximum bending moment also increases. However, the distribution of the load does not affect the maximum bending moment as long as the total load remains the same.

What is the significance of calculating the maximum bending moment?

Calculating the maximum bending moment is important in structural engineering as it helps determine the strength and stability of a structure. If the maximum bending moment exceeds the maximum load-bearing capacity of the structure, it could lead to structural failure. Therefore, it is crucial to accurately calculate and consider the maximum bending moment when designing and constructing structures.