Ship & Wormhole: Exploring Physics Homework

In summary, the FLRW universe has a scale factor which grows linearly with redshift. The distance can be measured with a red shift, when moving to the future, it should increase by a factor of 1.7.
charlie05
Hello everybody,

I am sorry, but I need your help with my physics homework. I will be very happy if somebody could help me.

1. Homework Statement

Task: The ship passed through the wormhole. The “new” temperature of cosmic microwave background is T = 0,3 K. The curvature of the universe is, same as before, negligible and the "old" Hubble’s parameter was H0 = (67,7±0,5) km · s−1· Mpc−1. The "new" value of Hubble’s parameter is H = (57 ± 4) km · s−1 · Mpc−1. We suppose that the ship is still in our universe.

Hint: ρcrit = 3H2 / 8πG; eHt

Homework Equations

a) Does the ship move to the past or to the future?
b) Does the ship move also in place? And for how far?
c) Specify the ratio of space distance (against the present).
d) Verify by calculation that the ship is really still in our universe.
e) For how many years the ship "travel"?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I think that ship moved to the future, because “new” temperature of cosmic microwave background is T = 0,3 K while now this temperature is about 2,7 K. The whole universe is getting colder so for that reason I think that ship moved to the future.

In other tasks I don’t know how to solve. I think that in one task I will compare the critical density which I calculate by formula in hint.

I want to thank you in advance for your help and willingness!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the remaining questions?

b) How would you tell if you have moved in space?
c) How do some observables scale with the scale factor?
d) What would the universe look like if evolved to this temperature?
e) How does time relate to the expansion?

Likes charlie05
At first, I would like to thank you for your interest. My English is poor, so I hope that I understand your questions well.

b) I think that measurement of position is very difficult because we can’t measure the distance between the ship and some object because of expanding the universe. Maybe we can calculate the distance which the universe expands for the time the ship travel. Or we can use some constant – for example speed of light which is constant in both time-spaces.

c) I think we can also use the distance which the universe expands for the time the ship travel. The “old” space-time distances will be “1” and “new” distances will be “1+distance”. Scale factor will be bigger than 1. Or it can be a ratio of Hubble’s parameters.

d) The universe will be much bigger because its temperature will be smaller, and it will be closer to its end.

e) Time is dilated by special theory of relativity, so on the edges of universe should be same time as was during the Big Bang.

At the end I want to thank you for your help and mainly for your patience – and sorry for my maybe absurd answers.

charlie05 said:
b) I think that measurement of position is very difficult because we can’t measure the distance between the ship and some object because of expanding the universe. Maybe we can calculate the distance which the universe expands for the time the ship travel. Or we can use some constant – for example speed of light which is constant in both time-spaces
What are the basic assumptions behind the FLRW universe?

charlie05 said:
c) I think we can also use the distance which the universe expands for the time the ship travel. The “old” space-time distances will be “1” and “new” distances will be “1+distance”. Scale factor will be bigger than 1. Or it can be a ratio of Hubble’s parameters.
There is no such thing as a "distance which the universe expands". How is the scale factor related to redshift?

charlie05 said:
d) The universe will be much bigger because its temperature will be smaller, and it will be closer to its end.
What will the universe being much bigger mean for the different energy components of the universe? How should they evolve to the new time and did they do so?

charlie05 said:
e) Time is dilated by special theory of relativity, so on the edges of universe should be same time as was during the Big Bang.
There are no edges of a FLRW universe. This answer is unfortunately completely unrelated to the question. The question is how the scale factor should behave as a function of time. If you know that you should be able to find out the time taken to arrive at the new state of the universe.

Likes charlie05
Orodruin said:
What are the basic assumptions behind the FLRW universe?
The universe is homogeneous and isotropic, the velocity of objects measured in a particular location will grow linearly with distance.

Orodruin said:
There is no such thing as a "distance which the universe expands". How is the scale factor related to redshift?
The distance can be measured with a red shift, when moving to the future, it should be less than 1.

Orodruin said:
What will the universe being much bigger mean for the different energy components of the universe? How should they evolve to the new time and did they do so?
There will be less matter in the universe, the mass density will be lower.

Orodruin said:
There are no edges of a FLRW universe. This answer is unfortunately completely unrelated to the question. The question is how the scale factor should behave as a function of time. If you know that you should be able to find out the time taken to arrive at the new state of the universe.
Dependence of the length scale on time - Fridman equations?

Temperature dependence of CMB on time: Tr=2,7(1+z)...0,3=2,7(1+z)...z= -0,88...red shift afrter wormhole?

charlie05 said:
The universe is homogeneous
So what does ”homogeneous” mean?

charlie05 said:
The distance can be measured with a red shift, when moving to the future, it should be less than 1.
What shouldbe less than one?

charlie05 said:
There will be less matter in the universe, the mass density will be lower.
How much lower? How would it impact the cosmological densities and, in turn, the Hubble parameter?

charlie05 said:
Dependence of the length scale on time - Fridman equations?
Yes. So solve them.

Likes charlie05
Orodruin said:
So what does ”homogeneous” mean?
The universe is the same everywhere. It is the same in all directions, it has the same average density everywhere, the same Hubble constant, the same chemical composition, the same temperature CMB, is the same old.

Orodruin said:
What shouldbe less than one?
I think z...red shift, z will be for the future less than 1.

Orodruin said:
How much lower? How would it impact the cosmological densities and, in turn, the Hubble parameter?
Will the mass be less in the ratio of Hubble constants? H/H0 ?

Orodruin said:
Yes. So solve them.
The universe with predominant energy...a(t) = e expHt
a(t0)=e exp H0t0 ...a(t) = e exp Ht...contribution a(t)/a(t0) = e exp Ht/e exp H0t0 ?

charlie05 said:
The universe is the same everywhere.
So what does this imply for the possibilities of telling where you are?

charlie05 said:
I think z...red shift, z will be for the future less than 1.
What is z today?

charlie05 said:
Will the mass be less in the ratio of Hubble constants? H/H0 ?
You need to scale each energy component separately. I.e., you need to look at the current energy densities and evolve each appropriately. The universe today does not contain matter only.

charlie05 said:
The universe with predominant energy...a(t) = e expHt
a(t0)=e exp H0t0 ...a(t) = e exp Ht...contribution a(t)/a(t0) = e exp Ht/e exp H0t0 ?
It also has a significant amount of matter that will affect this.

Likes charlie05
Orodruin said:
What is z today?
Today is z=0

Orodruin said:
So what does this imply for the possibilities of telling where you are?
Can I change the position to determine by changing the density of the universe - the density reduction is proportional to the third magnification of the distance enlargement?
densityof matter(t) = density of matter(t0)/a3(t)

charlie05 said:
Can I change the position to determine by changing the density of the universe - the density reduction is proportional to the third magnification of the distance enlargement?
densityof matter(t) = density of matter(t0)/a3(t)
I am sorry, but I do not see how this would be relevant to determine where in the universe you are.

charlie05 said:
Today is z=0
Which means that when the universe has grown, the redshift will be ...

Likes charlie05
Orodruin said:
I am sorry, but I do not see how this would be relevant to determine where in the universe you are.
I can only specify the location in relation to other objects...
I can use the expansion of universe as scale factor...a=1/1+z

Orodruin said:
Which means that when the universe has grown, the redshift will be ...
Redshift will be less than 0...
Temperature dependence of CMB on time: Tr=2,7(1+z)...0,3=2,7(1+z)...z= -0,89...red shift after wormhole?
scale factor a= 1/(1-0,89) = 9,1...
the distance of two points at time t is relative to the distance at time t0: d(t)=a(t)d0...
- after the ship´s passing through the wormhole, the distance increased 9,1times?

Last edited:
Please, is there at least a part of this reasoning right?

1. What is the concept of a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure that connects two distant points in space-time. It is often depicted as a shortcut through space, allowing for faster-than-light travel. However, the existence of wormholes has yet to be proven and remains a topic of study in theoretical physics.

2. How do wormholes relate to the theory of relativity?

Wormholes are a predicted consequence of the theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between space and time. According to general relativity, the fabric of space-time can be warped by massive objects, creating a pathway that could potentially connect two distant points in space.

3. Can objects really travel through a wormhole?

While the existence of wormholes has not been proven, even if they do exist, it is currently believed that they would be incredibly unstable. The intense gravitational forces and extreme conditions would make it difficult for any object to survive the journey through a wormhole.

4. How is a wormhole different from a black hole?

A wormhole is different from a black hole in that it is a hypothetical structure that connects two points in space, while a black hole is a real object with a singularity at its center. Additionally, while a black hole is a one-way street, a wormhole could potentially allow for two-way travel.

5. What is the significance of wormholes in space exploration?

Wormholes could potentially offer a faster route through space, allowing for interstellar travel and exploration. However, their existence has not been confirmed and the extreme conditions surrounding them make it difficult for any object to survive the journey. Thus, their significance remains a topic of study and debate in the scientific community.