SHM Amplitude vs. Frequency graph

In summary, the frequency of the vibration does not vary with the amplitude. The amplitude only reaches 0 if there is a forcing. The graph peaks at f and curves downwards because the amplitude of vibration is lower when there is less air resistance.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

A metal hangs vertically from one end of a spring. The other end of the spring is tied to a thread that passes over a pulley and is attached to a vibrator, as shown in the figure. The vibrator is now switched on.

The frequency of vibration is varied from 0.7f to 1.3f where f is the frequency of vibration of the block in the first part. For the block, show the variation with frequency of the amplitude of vibration. Label this line A.

Then same question but now some light feathers are attached to the block to increase air resistance. Draw the new graph.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've always known that the frequency doesn't vary with the amplitude but in this case they say it's a curve with its peak at f and the amplitude never reaches 0. I'm not sure why this is the case.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-03-11 at 21.21.08.png
    Screenshot 2017-03-11 at 21.21.08.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 621
  • Screenshot 2017-03-11 at 21.21.24.png
    Screenshot 2017-03-11 at 21.21.24.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 622
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
I've always known that the frequency doesn't vary with the amplitude but in this case they say it's a curve with its peak at f and the amplitude never reaches 0. I'm not sure why this is the case.
The independence of frequency and amplitude is for the simple case, no forcing.
When there is a forcing, the forcing itself has an amplitude. The relationship between the frequency of the forcing and the natural frequency determines the ratio between the amplitude of the forcing and the resulting amplitude.

Ok, I didn't quite understand the last line that you mentioned.
Why does the graph have a peak at f? Is it because that's the natural frequency (so kind of like resonance?)
That's why it's less at 0.7f and 1.3f because it's forced vibration and the natural frequency don't match?
And if I arbitrarily curved it downwards on both sides given that it doesn't meet 0 would be correct?

Taniaz said:
Ok, I didn't quite understand the last line that you mentioned.
Why does the graph have a peak at f? Is it because that's the natural frequency (so kind of like resonance?)
That's why it's less at 0.7f and 1.3f because it's forced vibration and the natural frequency don't match?
And if I arbitrarily curved it downwards on both sides given that it doesn't meet 0 would be correct?
Yes, that is all correct.
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance#Theory.
Note that there it specifies "lightly damped", rather than undamped, so matches the second part of your question. What will be the key difference when not damped at all?

In undamped it wouldn't lose any of its energy but in lightly damped it moves almost with the same frequency but loses its energy over time. So in the second case, we will shift the curve downwards since the amplitude of vibration will be lower?

Taniaz said:
In undamped it wouldn't lose any of its energy but in lightly damped it moves almost with the same frequency but loses its energy over time. So in the second case, we will shift the curve downwards since the amplitude of vibration will be lower?
I was thinking of a rather more dramatic consequence of constantly feeding power into a system with no losses.

Larger amplitude? Breakage?

Taniaz said:
Larger amplitude? Breakage?
In the real world, yes, but strictly theoretically what would the graph look like?

Are you referring to part a of the question or part b?

Taniaz said:
Are you referring to part a of the question or part b?
The first part, no damping.

So the graph with the peak at f and graph curving downwards wasn't correct?

Taniaz said:
So the graph with the peak at f and graph curving downwards wasn't correct?
It is correct, sort of, but how high is the peak?

The graph they gave us to previously tells us that at f the amplitude is 2

Taniaz said:
The graph they gave us to previously tells us that at f the amplitude is 2
Fig 4.2 in your attachments has amplitude 2, but that is just showing the natural frequency of the spring/mass system. The vibrator is turned off.
I do not see a graph in your attachments showing what happens with the vibrator turned on. That is for you to draw.

If the are no losses, and energy is constantly fed in from the vibrator (because it is in synch with the natural frequency) what will the energy level be at steady state?

It will be more but I don't know how much more. So if the amplitude is more, how do we know what it will exactly be with the given information?

Taniaz said:
It will be more but I don't know how much more. So if the amplitude is more, how do we know what it will exactly be with the given information?
Think a bit harder... energy is constantly being added, at a steady rate, no losses,... how great will the total energy eventually be?

Last edited:

Related to SHM Amplitude vs. Frequency graph

1. What is the purpose of a SHM amplitude vs. frequency graph?

A SHM amplitude vs. frequency graph is used to show the relationship between the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) and frequency (number of oscillations per unit time) of a simple harmonic motion system. It helps to visualize how changes in frequency affect the amplitude and vice versa.

2. How is the amplitude represented on the graph?

The amplitude is represented on the vertical or y-axis of the graph. It is usually measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm) and is denoted by the symbol "A". The higher the amplitude, the greater the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How is the frequency represented on the graph?

The frequency is represented on the horizontal or x-axis of the graph. It is usually measured in hertz (Hz) and is denoted by the symbol "f". The higher the frequency, the more oscillations occur in a given time period.

4. What shape does a SHM amplitude vs. frequency graph typically have?

A SHM amplitude vs. frequency graph typically has a parabolic shape. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude also increases, but at a decreasing rate. This relationship follows the equation A ∝ 1/f, where A is the amplitude and f is the frequency.

5. How can a SHM amplitude vs. frequency graph be used to determine the natural frequency of a system?

A natural frequency is the frequency at which a system will oscillate without any external forces acting on it. In a SHM amplitude vs. frequency graph, the natural frequency can be identified as the peak or maximum point on the parabolic curve. This is the frequency at which the system will oscillate most easily and with the greatest amplitude.