SHM equation velocity of wave help

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the velocity, but was unsuccessful due to not understanding the equation.
Adam Rabe

Homework Statement

SHM questions.PNG

Homework Equations

x(t) = A cos (2pi * f * t)
v (t) = - vmax sin (2pi * f * t)

vmax = (sqrt of k/m) * A
v = circumference/period

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to find the velocity as question only provides amplitude and i don't know how to find period using the values in the bracket. .

I would like help in the right direction

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Adam,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Adam Rabe said:
I do not know how to find the velocity as question only provides amplitude and i don't know how to find period using the values in the bracket. .

You need to do a bit of research on the traveling wave equation. I suggest a web search on "traveling wave parameters" (hint: The Hyperphysics website entry provides a pretty good, compact summary).

All the information you need is in the argument of the cosine function if you think about what is required for one full cycle of the wave to occur when either of the two parameters (x or t) is held constant while the other is allowed to vary.

gneill said:
Hi Adam,

Welcome to Physics Forums.
You need to do a bit of research on the traveling wave equation. I suggest a web search on "traveling wave parameters" (hint: The Hyperphysics website entry provides a pretty good, compact summary).

All the information you need is in the argument of the cosine function if you think about what is required for one full cycle of the wave to occur when either of the two parameters (x or t) is held constant while the other is allowed to vary.
Hello!
thank you so much i see what i did wrong! the equation is actually: y(t) = A cos (2pi/wavelength * x * vt) ~ and v is just 1/4.

I was taught another form of that equation which is y (t) = A cos (2pi* f * t). but if you substitute f as f = v/wavelength you get the following equation.
bless your soul

What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) equation?

The SHM equation is a mathematical representation of the motion of a particle in a system that experiences a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. It is given by the equation x = A*sin(ω*t + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How is the velocity of a wave related to the SHM equation?

The velocity of a wave is related to the SHM equation through the angular frequency ω. The velocity of a wave is given by v = λ*f, where λ is the wavelength and f is the frequency. In SHM, the angular frequency ω = 2π*f, so the velocity of a wave can also be written as v = λ*ω/(2π).

How can the SHM equation be used to calculate the velocity of a wave?

The SHM equation can be used to calculate the velocity of a wave by finding the angular frequency ω and wavelength λ of the wave. The angular frequency ω can be determined from the SHM equation, and the wavelength λ can be measured or given. Then, the velocity of the wave can be calculated using the equation v = λ*ω/(2π).

What factors can affect the velocity of a wave in the SHM equation?

The velocity of a wave in the SHM equation can be affected by the amplitude, frequency, and medium through which the wave is travelling. A higher amplitude or frequency will result in a higher velocity, while the medium can affect the velocity based on its density, elasticity, and other properties.

How does the SHM equation apply to real-life situations?

The SHM equation can be applied to real-life situations such as the motion of a simple pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating guitar string. It can also be used to understand and analyze various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves. Understanding the SHM equation can help in predicting and controlling the behavior of these systems and waves.