Shock crossing probability for isotropic particle flux

In summary, the factor of 2 cos(theta) in the derivation of eq. 2.47 in Drury's 1983 paper on diffusive shock acceleration comes from the assumption of isotropic flux, where the integral over the solid angle of a sphere is multiplied by cos(theta) to account for the equally likely direction of the flux. This factor represents the projection of the flux on the sphere surface and is necessary to calculate the average flux.
le chat
Hi there,

I am currently trying to understand the theoretical frame work of diffusive shock acceleration. I am having trouble understanding a step in the derivation given by drury 1983 (http://www.oa.uj.edu.pl/user/mio/Ast-Wys-En/Literatura/drury.pdf). In the derivation of eq. 2.47 it is stated (just below the equation), that for an isotropic flux the shock crossing probability is proportional to cos(theta) and hence a factor of 2 cos(theta) is needed. I tried to tinker this together by using other literature and googling it a bit but i don't seem to find a satisfying answer for where exactly this comes from. I am sure the solution is rather simple but i don't see it. I would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me or perhaps refer me to a piece of literature where it is better described.

Thx

Astronomy news on Phys.org
in advance!The factor of 2 cos(theta) comes from the assumption that the diffusive flux is isotropic. This means that the average flux observed over a sphere is independent of the direction in which it is measured. To calculate this average flux, one needs to integrate the flux over the solid angle of a sphere. Since cos(theta) is the projection of the flux on the sphere surface, the integral should be multiplied by this factor. This is because the shock crossing probability depends on the magnitude of the flux and not in which direction it is directed. In other words, the integration over the solid angle takes into account the fact that the flux is equally likely to come from any direction. Therefore, the factor 2 cos(theta) is needed to calculate the average flux.

1. What is shock crossing probability for isotropic particle flux?

The shock crossing probability for isotropic particle flux is a measure of the likelihood that a particle will cross a shock wave in an isotropic (equally distributed in all directions) manner. It takes into account factors such as the density and velocity of the particles as well as the properties of the shock wave itself.

2. How is the shock crossing probability calculated?

The shock crossing probability is typically calculated using statistical methods based on the properties of the particles and the shock wave. Some common methods include Monte Carlo simulations, Hammersley's method, and the Rayleigh distribution.

3. What factors affect the shock crossing probability for isotropic particle flux?

Several factors can affect the shock crossing probability, including the density and velocity of the particles, the properties of the shock wave (such as its strength and angle), and the distribution of the particles in space. Additionally, external factors such as magnetic fields and turbulence can also play a role.

4. Why is the shock crossing probability important in scientific research?

The shock crossing probability is important in many fields of science, including astrophysics, plasma physics, and aerodynamics. Understanding this probability can provide insights into the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in supernovae or in high-speed flows, and can help improve models and simulations of these phenomena.

5. Can the shock crossing probability be experimentally measured?

Yes, the shock crossing probability can be measured through laboratory experiments, such as using particle accelerators or shock tubes. However, these experiments can be challenging and require precise control and measurements of the particles and shock wave properties.