Should I attend a graduation ceremony if no one will come?

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma of whether or not to attend their college graduation ceremony. They are debating between the potential regret of not attending and the boredom of a three-hour ceremony with no one to share it with. The other person suggests that it is better to attend and that they can pass the time with a book.
Eclair_de_XII
So I graduate in a year from now, and the school mandates that I must apply for my college degree one semester before the semester I graduate. Subsequently, I also have to decide whether or not I want to attend the commencement ceremony.

On one hand, I only graduate college once; or rather, it will be a long time before I graduate college again, if I ever choose to return to school again. On the other hand, if I do graduate, there will be very few people who will come congratulate me and such. I haven't any friends or the like, and I feel like a three-hour graduation ceremony would waste much of my time, since there's really no one to enjoy it with other than my immediate family. I haven't been very chummy with any of my classmates and such, mostly due to shyness, anxiety, and a general lack of social skills.

Even so, I don't know why I'm debating against not attending; maybe it is because down the line, I'll come to regret it later? I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you go. For most people only their immediate family attend, and that's enough. The worst likely downside of going is just three dull hours, and we mostly have many more than that dull hours in a week anyway. But the worst likely downside of not going is regret that will last a lot longer than the irritation of a few hours of boredom.

You can always load a novel onto a smart phone or other device, to read while speeches are being made that don't interest you. I get through lots of dull presentations with the help of my small e-book reader.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Should I attend a graduation ceremony if no one will come?

This is ultimately a personal decision and depends on your reasons for wanting to attend the ceremony. Some people may feel that the ceremony is a significant milestone in their academic journey and want to participate regardless of who is there to support them. Others may feel that without loved ones present, the ceremony loses its significance. Consider your personal feelings and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

2. What are the advantages of attending a graduation ceremony without any guests?

The main advantage is that you get to walk across the stage and receive your diploma in front of your peers and other graduates. This can be a proud and memorable moment for you, and you may feel a sense of accomplishment and closure to your academic journey. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to meet and network with other graduates and faculty members.

3. Will I be able to participate in the graduation ceremony if no one comes?

Yes, as long as you have met all the requirements for graduation and have registered for the ceremony, you will be able to participate regardless of whether or not you have guests in attendance. The ceremony is a celebration of your accomplishments, and you deserve to be recognized and celebrated regardless of who is there to witness it.

4. Will I feel lonely or embarrassed attending a graduation ceremony without any guests?

It is natural to feel a little lonely or embarrassed attending a graduation ceremony without any guests, especially if you were expecting them to be there. However, it is important to remember that this day is about you and your achievements. Focus on the positive aspects of the day and try to enjoy the moment. You may also want to invite a friend or mentor to join you or sit with other graduates to feel a sense of camaraderie.

5. What are some alternatives to attending a graduation ceremony without any guests?

If you feel uncomfortable attending the ceremony without any guests, there are alternatives you can consider. You can opt to have a private graduation celebration with your loved ones at a later date or participate in a smaller, more intimate graduation ceremony with other graduates who may also not have guests. You can also celebrate your achievements in other ways, such as going out for a nice dinner or taking a trip to mark the occasion.