What is the future of mathematics in understanding the universe?

• Thread starter Chad134
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a high school graduate who has recently developed a passion for physics and has been studying it through books and Khan Academy. They have also reapplied to college to study physics next year. They are interested in all fields of physics and want to know which one they can be most helpful in advancing. However, they acknowledge that predicting the future of science and mathematics is difficult and that learning math is a good foundation for studying physics. They also mention the fundamental limits of observation and Godel's Incompleteness Theorems as factors to consider in our understanding of the universe.
Chad134
Let me start off by saying I am only a high school graduate. (Was never great with English and Grammar but i'll try my best)

Here recently I've been reading a lot of books on Physics by some well known authors. Not only have I been doing that, but I've been using Khan Academy to try to master math to the fullest extent I can before returning to college as well. I have always had a passion for Astronomy but never Physics until recently.

I've already re applied to college and I will be attending next year for Physics, but while reading these books I have come to an understanding that a lot people believe as a civilization we still are in the "early stages" of math. With all of the various Physics fields I can go into whether it being Atomic/Molecular, Astronomy, Electromagnetism, QM, Relativity, etc. I started to wonder where I could be the most help at, and I really can't decide. To be completely honest, I would like to learn them all if it will help my understanding of how everything works.

More than anything I would just like opinions, if we truly are in the "early stages of math" I believe it will be very difficult to determine where to go next without knowing what comes next. This is why I believe so many people have tried to make theory's and theorem's but time and time again they aren't 100% accurate or maybe that one doesn't support this one but parts of them still are accurate.

So I ask what comes next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chad134 said:
a lot people believe we still are in the "early stages" of math

Who "we"?

Chad134 said:
More than anything I would just like opinions, if we truly are in the "early stages of math" [...]
I can not remember having heard anything like that. It sounds odd to me... who can claim that what we have today is early, middle or late? Those are terms usually used by historians (after things have happened). That's not saying I don't think science and mathematics will evolve, though, but predicting the future is difficult at best and impossible at worst. "Even the wisest can not tell."

I'll just keep it short then, in your opinion, in what field can I be the most help to the advancement of physics?

Chad134 said:
I'll just keep it short then, in your opinion, in what field can I be the most help to the advancement of physics?
Impossible for me to say :smile:. But my two cents would be the field you find yourself enjoy the most and/or the field you find yourself to be best at.

Don't worry, you are quite far from making any meaningful choice. Learning math is a good path for now, as math is a common language for every branch of physics (and you will be overwhelmed when you find how much we already know). I would suggest following a good texbook, as far as I remember Khan is good at explaining specific problems but his videos are not meant to be a systematic lecture which shows how things are related to each other.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
When you put things like the fundamental limits of observation and Godel's Incompleteness Theorems into consideration, it seems like all we could ever know about the world just an infinitesimally small portion of all there is to know. There could be many things that exist in this universe and go unnoticed simply because we cannot experience them or observe them, not even with instruments...

What is the current state of mathematics in understanding the universe?

The current state of mathematics in understanding the universe is constantly evolving and expanding. Mathematics has played a crucial role in understanding and describing the laws of nature, from classical mechanics to quantum theory.

How has mathematics been used in understanding the universe?

Mathematics has been used in a wide range of areas in understanding the universe, such as in cosmology, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. It has helped scientists describe and predict the behavior of celestial objects, study the structure of the universe, and develop theories about its origins.

What are some current challenges for mathematics in understanding the universe?

One of the current challenges for mathematics in understanding the universe is the development of a unified theory that can explain all physical phenomena, including gravity and quantum mechanics. Other challenges include understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and resolving inconsistencies between different theories.

What advancements in mathematics have been made in understanding the universe?

Advancements in mathematics have been crucial in understanding the universe. For example, the use of calculus has allowed for the precise calculations of the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies. Other advancements include the development of non-Euclidean geometry, which has been used in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

What role will mathematics play in the future of understanding the universe?

Mathematics will continue to play a crucial role in the future of understanding the universe. As we continue to explore and discover more about the universe, mathematics will help us make sense of the data and develop new theories. With advancements in technology and computing power, mathematics will also allow us to make more accurate predictions and simulations of the universe.