Should I CLEP out of Chemistry?

• Testing
  • Thread starter Phys12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: So, I think that I would not be able to do well in the class and I would have to get a D or F.In summary, if you are not the biggest fan of Chemistry and would like to replace it with an Astrophysics class during the summer of 2017, it may look bad on your grad school application.
Phys12
Background: 1st year freshman, CLEPed out of Cal I since couldn't take the class 1st semester (scored 79/80, so think that my knowledge in the subject is good enough).

So, my degree plan requires that I take General Chemistry I and II. However, I am not the biggest fan of Chemistry and would really love it if I did not have to take the class. I am supposed to take the class in the 2nd semester, but the professor I am researching under asked me to enroll in one of his Astrophysics classes and I would love to take it. The problem is that it will be a lot of work (given that I might even start working next semester) with the classes that I am planning to take (the number represent the credit hours):

Calculus II (4), General Technical Physics I (I do have a lot of background in this) (4), English 2 (3), General Chemistry I (4) and Independent Research (3).

And the maximum number of hours that I can take per semester is 19. So, to solve this problem, I thought that I would give the CLEP for Chemistry I and II during the summer of 2017 and replace Chem I next semester with my professor's class. And during my third semester, instead of Chem II, I would take yet another Astrophysics class by him.

Does this plan sound okay? Will it look bad on my grad school application that I CLEPed out of 3 classes (it won't show my scores, just pass/fail)?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends, what is your background in chemistry?

I was very good at chemistry in high school and likely could have tested out. However, I liked chemistry a lot so I took it.

I'm glad I did, because chemistry mastery is often useful for a physicist.

Also, keep in mind that high school physics teachers in low demand, but the ability to teach both physics and chemistry makes one employable in many high schools where the ability to teach physics by itself may not.

Dishsoap said:
It depends, what is your background in chemistry?
I pretty much already know most of Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II. I'd just need to revise the entire thing and learn a few new things. I know this by seeing the syllabus of CLEP that has been posted, along with giving the sample test online: https://clep.collegeboard.org/exam/chemistry/questions. And because I will prepping for it during the summer, even if I don't know a lot about it, I'd be able to do so during the 3 months.

Dr. Courtney said:
I was very good at chemistry in high school and likely could have tested out. However, I liked chemistry a lot so I took it.

I'm glad I did, because chemistry mastery is often useful for a physicist.

Also, keep in mind that high school physics teachers in low demand, but the ability to teach both physics and chemistry makes one employable in many high schools where the ability to teach physics by itself may not.
Well, I am pretty sure that I do not want to be a high school teacher and I really do not like Chemistry even though I am quite good at it.

1. Can I use a CLEP exam to fulfill my chemistry requirement?

Yes, most colleges and universities accept CLEP exams as a way to fulfill general education requirements, including chemistry. However, it is important to check with your specific institution to ensure they accept CLEP credits for chemistry.

2. Is it worth it to CLEP out of chemistry?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances. CLEP exams are generally less expensive than taking a traditional college course, so if you feel confident in your chemistry knowledge and are able to pass the exam, it may be a cost-effective option. However, if you struggle with chemistry or need a strong foundation for future courses in the subject, it may be better to take the course instead of CLEP-ing out.

3. What is the format of the CLEP chemistry exam?

The CLEP chemistry exam is a computer-based test consisting of 75 multiple-choice questions. It is 90 minutes long and covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, reactions, and stoichiometry. It also includes laboratory work and calculations.

4. How do I prepare for the CLEP chemistry exam?

There are a variety of study materials available for the CLEP chemistry exam, including review books, online practice tests, and study guides. It is important to review all the topics covered on the exam and practice with sample questions. You may also want to consider taking a chemistry course or working with a tutor to strengthen your knowledge in the subject.

5. Will CLEP-ing out of chemistry affect my future career or graduate school opportunities?

It is important to research the specific requirements of your desired career or graduate program. While many accept CLEP credits, some may prefer or even require traditional college courses. Additionally, if you plan to pursue a career in a science-related field, it may be beneficial to have a strong foundation in chemistry, which may be better achieved through taking a traditional course rather than CLEP-ing out.