Should I Consider Moment of Inertia for Coupled Motors with 26:1 Gear Ratio?

• Thread starter Siddiqui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gear
In summary, the conversation discusses using two motors with a mechanical coupling, which has a moment of inertia. Both motors have a gear ratio of 26:1. The question is whether the coupling moment of inertia should also be divided by the gear ratio. An example is provided for finding the equivalent moment of inertia of a gear set with a specific gear ratio.
Siddiqui
Hello
I am using two motor which are coupled with the mechanical coupling. The coupling has moment of inertia. The gear ratio of both motors is same 26:1.
I want to know i also need to divide the coupling moment of inertia with the gear ratio?
Thany

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by «coupling», so I will show you how to find the equivalent moment of inertia of a simple system with gear ratio.

Imagine you have a gear set with gear 1 and 2. They have a gear ratio ##GR##, and each gear has inertia ##I## and angular acceleration ##\alpha##. We know the input torque ##T_{1\ in}## and angular acceleration ##\alpha_1## of gear 1. Doing the sum of moments on each gear:
[tex]T_{1\ in} - T_{1\ out} = I_1\alpha_1[/tex]
[tex]T_{2\ in} - T_{2\ out} = I_2\alpha_2[/tex]
And we also know that:
[tex]T_{1\ out} = GR T_{2\ in}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha_2 = GR \alpha_1[/tex]
We now have 4 equations, 4 unknowns (##T_{1\ out}, T_{2\ in}, T_{2\ out}, \alpha_2##). Finding ##T_{2\ out}## starting with the first equation:
[tex]T_{1\ in} - T_{1\ out} = I_1\alpha_1[/tex]
[tex]T_{1\ in} - GR T_{2\ in} = I_1\alpha_1[/tex]
[tex]T_{1\ in} - GR \left(T_{2\ out} + I_2\alpha_2\right) = I_1\alpha_1[/tex]
[tex]T_{1\ in} - GR \left(T_{2\ out} + I_2 GR \alpha_1\right) = I_1\alpha_1[/tex]
[tex]T_{1\ in} - GR T_{2\ out} = \left(I_1 + GR^2 I_2\right)\alpha_1[/tex]
We now have an equation of the form ##T_{in} - T_{out} = I\alpha## (sum of moments), but for the complete gear set, based on the input torque and acceleration. Note that the inertia of the second gear is multiplied by the square of the gear ratio.

Please sketch what you mean by "coupling two motors which are coupled with mechanical coupling".

What is gear ratio?

Gear ratio is a comparison of the number of teeth on two gears that are meshed together. It is used to determine the relationship between the speed and torque (rotational force) of the gears.

How is gear ratio calculated?

The gear ratio is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driving gear has 20 teeth and the driven gear has 40 teeth, the gear ratio would be 1:2.

What is the significance of gear ratio?

Gear ratio is important because it determines the output speed and torque of a gear system. A higher gear ratio results in lower output speed and higher torque, while a lower gear ratio results in higher output speed and lower torque.

What is the difference between gear ratio and gear train?

Gear ratio refers to the ratio of teeth on two individual gears, while gear train refers to a series of gears that are connected and work together to transmit motion and power.

How does gear ratio affect the performance of a machine?

The gear ratio directly impacts the speed and torque of a machine. It is commonly used to increase torque in machines that require a lot of power, such as vehicles and heavy machinery. A well-designed gear ratio can also improve the efficiency and smoothness of a machine's operation.