Should I do a Minor in Physics or Maths?

• Programs
  • Thread starter chipsandwich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor Physics
In summary, a chem student is considering a minor in either physics or math. They are interested in physics for the QM aspect, but are unsure if they have enough space in their schedule to cover the necessary math courses as well. They find pure math to be a valuable learning experience, but it does not cover enough relevant material for their interests. They are also considering applied math, specifically PDEs, but are concerned about not having enough theoretical knowledge. Another person has suggested that combining chemistry and physics may lead to a career in materials engineering.
chipsandwich
sup physicsforums, chem guy here, not sure whether I want to do a minor in physics or maths.

I'm mostly interested in physics for the QM part (pchem was fairly unremarkable, lots of unproven formulae etc.), but I doubt I'd have enough credit points left to get the necessary math (PDEs, complex variable etc.) background as well as the QM and experimental units. Those final year labs look really nice though - from my experiences with chem, I'm perfectly fine with 6 (or 12) hour labs, huge reports, error analysis and following the train of references.

Pure maths is pretty cool, although so far I've only seen some basic real analysis and group theory, It seems like it would be a better overarching learning experience - but then I wouldn't get to screw around in the labs :(. And anyway, it doesn't cover too much stuff relevant to what I want to do, and I know it's in a whole different league compared to science - but it's still interesting.

At face value applied maths seems like the obvious choice, but the only part I really care about enough to learn is PDEs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question? I don't see one in your post above.. =O

Question is in the title :)

Some other guy told me that chem + phys is pretty good for inorganic. I've got a lot of remarks that people who do chem + phys end up as materials engineers - might be something worth looking into.

I should probably reiterate my concern - while I do like doing lab work, I really feel that I haven't been getting enough rigorous theoretical knowledge. Question in the title etc. etc.

Related to Should I do a Minor in Physics or Maths?

1. Should I do a Minor in Physics or Maths?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Both Physics and Maths are highly valuable fields with a wide range of applications.

2. What are the benefits of doing a Minor in Physics or Maths?

A Minor in Physics or Maths can enhance your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also make you more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities in various industries.

3. Will doing a Minor in Physics or Maths be too challenging?

Both Physics and Maths can be challenging subjects, but with dedication and hard work, anyone can excel in them. It is important to have a strong foundation in these subjects before pursuing a Minor.

4. Can I switch from a Minor in Physics to Maths, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from one Minor to the other, but it may require taking additional courses or extending your degree program. It is best to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes.

5. How will a Minor in Physics or Maths complement my major?

A Minor in Physics or Maths can complement a variety of majors, such as engineering, computer science, economics, and more. It can provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and mathematical concepts that apply to your major field of study.