Should I Drop Mathematical Physics Class?

In summary, this class is going to be difficult, but if you have a physics background it should be easier. It is best to prepare for an advanced degree by taking as many upper level physics and math classes as possible.
chill_factor
Dear Forum:

I am a senior chemistry major that has the typical science/engineering background in math - 2 quarters of single variable calculus, 2 quarters of multivariable calculus and vector analysis, 1 quarter of linear algebra and 1 quarter of differential equations.

I am currently taking a mathematical physics class. The reason I am taking this class is because I would like to go for a MS in Physics, in the area of experimental condensed matter physics.

The first homework (Boas chapter 11, special functions) was nearly impossible because it had several problems that involved classical mechanics, which I hadn't taken. If it wasn't for having another book and 8 hours to spend, I would have been unable to complete the 2nd problem of the first homework. The rest of the class will be on solving important PDEs (Laplace, diffusion, schrodinger, wave, poisson equations) using chapters 8, 12 and 13 of Boas book.

My question is 2 fold: Does this class get easier as time goes on? Will there be more things from physics classes I haven't taken yet?

Secondly, if I drop this class, will it significantly reduce my chances of being accepted to a MS program in Physics?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your professor can best advise you on the physics content of the rest of the course. Given that it's called mathematical physics, I imagine you will see a lot more physics.

Your second question is puzzling. A master's in physics will be extremely difficult if you lack a physics background, and your difficulties in this course are just a hint at what will come. A better question is do you have the background or will you need additional courses/time to prepare for an advanced physics degree? Again, I'd think that professors in your physics department can help you assess that.

marcusl said:
Your professor can best advise you on the physics content of the rest of the course. Given that it's called mathematical physics, I imagine you will see a lot more physics.

Your second question is puzzling. A master's in physics will be extremely difficult if you lack a physics background, and your difficulties in this course are just a hint at what will come. A better question is do you have the background or will you need additional courses/time to prepare for an advanced physics degree? Again, I'd think that professors in your physics department can help you assess that.

Thank you for your response. I've talked to both professors in my department and at the schools I am applying to regarding the second question and they said that it is no problem for me to take classical mechanics and electromagnetism at the undergrad level before I get started with the graduate versions. Due to my chemistry background, I would be expected to immediately get started on graduate level quantum mechanics and statistical physics. I am taking mathematical physics because they recommended that to strengthen my application it would be best to take as many upper level physics and math classes as possible.

For the first question, I have downloaded last year's test, and it doesn't seem to be physics heavy. The questions are:

1. Place this integral into the form of a special function

2. A molecule's velocity has the probability distribution f(v)= bunch of constants * e^(constants *- v^2). Use an integral to find the total kinetic energy of molecules with velocity v<v0 and express this as an error function.

3. Solve the heat transfer equation dT/dt = d2T/dx2 as a function T(x,t), with the boundary conditions T(t,x=0) = 1, T(t,x=1) = 2 and the initial condition T(t=0,x) for x between 0 and 1.

From what the test looks like, it doesn't seem that hard, then again, the homework didn't seem that hard until I got to question 2.

It sounds like you have the advice you needed and a valid way forward. Good luck!

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to continue with the mathematical physics class. While it may be challenging at first, it will provide valuable skills and knowledge that will be beneficial for your future studies in physics. It is also important to note that many graduate programs in physics require a strong background in mathematics, so dropping this class may actually decrease your chances of being accepted. Additionally, the class may become easier as you continue and gain a better understanding of the material. If you are struggling with certain concepts, I would suggest seeking help from your professor or a tutor to improve your understanding. Overall, I believe that taking this class will ultimately benefit your academic and career goals in the field of physics.

Related to Should I Drop Mathematical Physics Class?

1. Should I drop my mathematical physics class if I'm struggling with the material?

It ultimately depends on your individual situation and goals. If you are struggling but still interested in the subject and willing to put in the effort to improve, it may be worth sticking with the class. However, if you feel completely overwhelmed and have no interest in the material, dropping the class may be a better option.

2. Will dropping my mathematical physics class affect my future career opportunities?

It depends on the specific career you are interested in. Some careers may require a strong understanding of mathematical physics, while others may not. It is important to consider your long-term goals and whether dropping the class will significantly impact your ability to achieve them.

3. Can I drop my mathematical physics class and take it again in the future?

Yes, you can typically drop a class and retake it in the future. However, it is important to check with your school's policies and make sure the class will be offered again when you need it.

4. Will dropping my mathematical physics class affect my GPA?

Yes, dropping a class will typically result in a lower GPA. However, if you are struggling in the class and feel like it will significantly impact your overall GPA, it may be worth dropping the class to avoid a potentially lower grade.

5. What should I do if I am considering dropping my mathematical physics class?

It is important to first talk to your professor and academic advisor to discuss your concerns and explore other options. They may be able to provide additional resources or support to help you succeed in the class. It is also important to consider your long-term goals and whether dropping the class aligns with them.