Should I go to Europe to do MCF (PhD)

• Thread starter Hercuflea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe Phd
And thank you for sharing the link to the fire website, it seems like a valuable resource for those interested in fusion research. In summary, it seems that Alcator C-Mod is facing funding cuts and there is uncertainty about the future of DIII-D and NSTX. While there are limited options for MCF research in the US, there are many universities in Europe with strong fusion programs. The potential impact of doing a PhD in Europe on obtaining a professorship in the US is a topic of debate. It's important to consider all options and gathering advice from mentors and colleagues can be helpful. The fire website is a valuable resource for those interested in fusion research.
Hercuflea
So it looks like Alcator C-Mod is going to lose its funding this year again, in addition I have heard that they are going to have to decide whether to shut down either DIII-D or NSTX (can anyone confirm?). There aren't very many schools in the US that do MCF research (The only one I can think of that actually has a solid concentration of academics doing MCF research is Wisconsin...MIT used to be but they all left...other individual profs are sort of scattered about the country)

I'm american, but I'm currently doing my master's degree in plasma physics/nuclear fusion in the UK and I'm wondering if I should just stay here, or go to another European country since I want to do MHD turbulence theory and simulations. There are so many universities here that have fusion research i.e. Oxford, Liverpool, York, Queen's Belfast in the UK, Max Planck in Germany, EPFL Switzerland, Carlos III and Polytechnic Madrid in Spain, Chalmers/KTH Sweden, Aalto Univ. Finland, a bunch of others I'm probably forgetting.

I'm going to apply to Wisconsin and MIT, but in case I'm not accepted there, there aren't really very many other options in the US.

I've read that if you do a Ph.D. in Europe or another country, it can harm your chances of getting a professorship in the US since they don't do graduate courses like we do. Can anyone speak to that one way or another?

Engineering news on Phys.org
C-mod is likely going to be shut down. I don't know what this means for MIT. They have strong collaborations of many other labs. And they've had time to plan for the shut down. It won't be the end of fusion at MIT, but there's probably going to be some restructuring.

As for DIII-D and NSTX-U. The recent FESAC strategic planning report to the DOE OFES considered multiple funding scenarios. In some of the less favorable funding scenarios, the report suggests the possibility of closing NSTX-U or DIII-D in 5 years. The report is has been highly controversial from the get-go. The committee wasn't really given enough time considering the magnitude of their charge. There were also a number of conflict of interest issues raised by the report, and 10 of the 19 scientists involved in drafting the report were recused from the final vote. Of the remaining 9 voting scientists, 6 voted in favor of the report and 3 voted against. Many people in the fusion community have been very critical of the report. It sounds like the DOE does not agree with the possibility of closing NSTX-U or DIII-D in the near future.

If you're interested in a more detailed discussion check out
fire.pppl.gov

The fire website is an archive of information relevant to fusion research. If you want to do fusion research, its a great resource. In particular check out the presentation on the FESAC report and the DOEs response. Both were given the the UFA at the APS meeting last Monday. If you scroll down further you can find a number of public criticisms of the FESAC report.

Theres nothing wrong with studying in Europe. As far as I know, its not going to interfere with your chances of getting an American professorship or job. But there are a number of US universities to consider. In addition to Wisconsin and MIT, there is Princeton, UT-Austin, Auburn, Washington, Maryland, UCSD, University of Colorado, Utah State, and Columbia. All these universities do magnetic fusion research. I'm probably forgetting a few.

Also just in case you don't know the acronyms:
OFES - Office of fusion energy sciences
FESAC - Fusion energy sciences advisory committee
UFA - University fusion associates

Likes Hercuflea

It's unfortunate to hear about the funding cuts for Alcator C-Mod and the potential shutdown of DIII-D or NSTX. It's always concerning to see important research facilities facing financial struggles.

I agree that there aren't many schools in the US that have a strong focus on MCF research. It's great that you're considering options in Europe, as there are many universities there with strong fusion research programs. I've also heard that EPFL in Switzerland and Chalmers/KTH in Sweden are top choices for MHD turbulence theory and simulations.

As for the concern about doing a PhD in Europe and its potential impact on getting a professorship in the US, I don't have personal experience with that, but I have heard mixed opinions. Some say that it can actually be beneficial to have an international experience and different perspectives on research. Others argue that the US academic system is unique and may value certain experiences more than others. It's definitely something to consider and perhaps talk to professors or mentors in the field for their advice.

I wish you the best of luck with your applications and hope you are able to find a program that aligns with your research interests and goals.

What are the benefits of going to Europe to do a PhD in MCF?

There are several potential benefits to pursuing a PhD in MCF (Molecular and Cellular Biology) in Europe. These include exposure to diverse research perspectives, networking opportunities with international scientists, and access to state-of-the-art facilities and technologies. Additionally, many European universities have strong programs and reputations in MCF research.

What are the drawbacks of going to Europe for a PhD in MCF?

One potential drawback of pursuing a PhD in MCF in Europe is the potential language barrier, particularly if you are not fluent in the local language. Additionally, there may be differences in research culture and expectations compared to your home country. It is important to thoroughly research the specific program and university you are considering to ensure it aligns with your goals and expectations.

What are the requirements for admission to a PhD program in MCF in Europe?

The specific requirements for admission to a PhD program in MCF in Europe will vary depending on the university and program. However, most programs will require a strong academic background in biology or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, and a research proposal or statement of purpose. Many programs also require a minimum GPA and standardized test scores, such as the GRE.

How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in MCF in Europe?

The length of a PhD program in MCF in Europe can vary depending on the specific program and individual progress. On average, it takes about 3-4 years to complete a PhD in Europe, with the first year typically focused on coursework and the remaining years focused on research and writing a dissertation. However, some programs may take longer due to the nature of the research or other factors.

What job opportunities are available after completing a PhD in MCF in Europe?

Completing a PhD in MCF in Europe can open up a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to become research scientists, professors, or science communicators. Additionally, having a PhD can also make you more competitive for positions in biotech and pharmaceutical companies, as well as government agencies and non-profit organizations.