Should I Major or Minor in Physics if I'm Already a Junior Psychology Major?

In summary: I am about to be a junior Psychology major but I'm realizing my calling is more in quantum/astrophysics, though truly I would want to study consciousness' effect on quantum mechanics. My question is since I'm already half way though a Psych BA, should I continue this and minor in Physics as well or should I switch and major in Physics and minor in Psych. I intended to not only get a BA but eventually a Masters and possibly a Phd.I know switching majors now would add lot more time to obtaining my BA, which is why I am wondering if I should only
christarr
I am about to be a junior Psychology major but I'm realizing my calling is more in quantum/astrophysics, though truly I would want to study consciousness' effect on quantum mechanics. My question is since I'm already half way though a Psych BA, should I continue this and minor in Physics as well or should I switch and major in Physics and minor in Psych. I intended to not only get a BA but eventually a Masters and possibly a Phd.
I know switching majors now would add lot more time to obtaining my BA, which is why I am wondering if I should only minor in Physics.
Thank you. I'm so lost any suggestion is helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
christarr said:
I am about to be a junior Psychology major but I'm realizing my calling is more in quantum/astrophysics, though truly I would want to study consciousness' effect on quantum mechanics. My question is since I'm already half way though a Psych BA, should I continue this and minor in Physics as well or should I switch and major in Physics and minor in Psych. I intended to not only get a BA but eventually a Masters and possibly a Phd.
I know switching majors now would add lot more time to obtaining my BA, which is why I am wondering if I should only minor in Physics.

Physics doesn't say anything about consciousness, so you might be disappointed.

christarr said:
How is your Mathematics? Which and to what extent have you credit in other physical sciences? Which subject do you like better: Physics or Psychology?

christarr said:
I would want to study consciousness' effect on quantum mechanics.

You'd better have a pretty thick skin to deal with all the things we PFers will say about that...

Student100 said:
Physics doesn't say anything about consciousness, so you might be disappointed.

Actually there are various quantum effects that are influenced by observation including quantum-wave duality (notably the double-slit experiment), Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, superposition (including Schrodinger's uncertainty principle,) and other forms of quantum measurement. So no, consciousness has nooo effect on quantum physics.

christarr said:
Actually there are various quantum effects that are influenced by observation including quantum-wave duality (notably the double-slit experiment), Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, superposition (including Schrodinger's uncertainty principle,) and other forms of quantum measurement. So no, consciousness has nooo effect on quantum physics.

The uncertainty principle doesn't say anything about consciousness- it's purely about the precision of your measurement.The observer effect, which you're probably confusing it for, simply states that when you make a measurement you inherently change the system. This true even for classical measurements, and doesn't invoke anything about consciousness.

Physics has no definition of consciousness. This is a common misconception that's popularized on television pop science shows.

So observation (which is consciousness) has no influence on any of the quantum mechanics I listed?

christarr said:
Student100 said:
The uncertainty principle doesn't say anything about consciousness- it's purely about the precision of your measurement.The observer effect, which you're probably confusing it for, simply states that when you make a measurement you inherently change the system. This true even for classical measurements, and doesn't invoke anything about consciousness.

Physics has no definition of consciousness. This is a common misconception that's popularized on television pop science shows.
christarr said:
So observation (which is consciousness) has no influence on any of the quantum mechanics I listed?

Can you say more exactly what you want to study, what you want to learn, more clearly than in your initial posting on this topic? Are you maybe interested in Mathematical or Scientific Cognition, but just do not know it?

Likes Student100
christarr said:

Observation is not consciousness. I don't, nor does anyone else, know what consciousness is.

Likes symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
Can you say more exactly what you want to study, what you want to learn, more clearly than in your initial posting on this topic? Are you maybe interested in Mathematical or Scientific Cognition, but just do not know it?

Yes, please. Let's not go down the rabbit hole on this.

Likes symbolipoint
christarr said:
Observation does not imply consciousness in quantum mechanics in general. Only the von Neumann–Wigner interpretation requires the role of consciousness, and not even Wigner liked the interpretation in his later years. Further, the von Neumann-Wigner interpretation requires a non-physical theory of mind, which, well, is rather contrary to what is thought by most physicists. Further still, interpretations of the results of delayed-choice experiments preclude the interpretation. I don't think any but a small majority of physicists give the concept of consciousness any importance in quantum mechanics. It's just not necessary.

To read more: http://www.danko-nikolic.com/wp-con...kolic-Qm-and-consciousness-Annalen-Physik.pdf

christarr said:

Physicists mean something different when they say "observation" than someone in everyday conversation. When we observe something in a non physics context, we are referring to the act of consciously examining something. When physicists say "observation," they mean a (usually) idealized measurement of a physical process (often in thought experiments). For instance, we may fire photons at a particle to determine its position, but then the photons will impart energy to the particle, changing its momentum. If we want to get a better idea of its position, we fire higher energy photons, but that makes the momentum change even more erratic. If we want to observe without changing the momentum too much, we fire lower energy photons--whoops, now the photons' energy is too low to get an accurate idea of where the particle is. So we can't have both position and momentum. Note that this has nothing to do with whether there was a human or a robot watching the experiment. It is simply impossible to make a measurement that will allow is to know the position and momentum of a particle at the same time with great accuracy. It has nothing to do with human consciousness.

It's good to be interested in physics, but make sure you're interested in physics for the right reason if you make the switch.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
christarr said:

You might be more interested in a philosophy degree.

Likes radium
There is a field in philosophy called philosophy of physics and sometimes the people in it do actually have physics background. I personally don't see the appeal but many do.

Likes micromass

1. What is the difference between majoring and minoring in Physics?

Majoring in Physics means that you will be pursuing an undergraduate degree in Physics, which typically takes four years to complete. Minoring in Physics means that you will be taking a smaller number of courses in Physics alongside your major, and it usually takes less time to complete.

2. What career opportunities are available for Physics majors and minors?

Physics majors and minors have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. They can also pursue careers in teaching, healthcare, finance, and many other fields that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Is a Physics major or minor more challenging?

Both a major and minor in Physics require a strong foundation in math and analytical thinking. However, a major in Physics will involve a more extensive and in-depth study of the subject, while a minor will provide a basic understanding of the fundamental principles.

4. Can I switch from a minor to a major (or vice versa) in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a minor to a major (or vice versa) in Physics. However, it may require you to take additional courses or extend your time in college. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making the switch to ensure that it aligns with your academic and career goals.

5. How can a major or minor in Physics benefit me in other fields?

A major or minor in Physics can provide valuable skills that are transferable to other fields. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and communication skills. These skills are highly sought after in various industries and can enhance your employability in fields outside of Physics as well.