Should I read (if yes, how) arxiv as a freshman?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of reading one paper everyday to stay updated on current physics research and the potential benefits and drawbacks of this approach. The conclusion is that it may not be the most effective use of time for a freshman or sophomore student, and instead they should focus on building a strong foundation and exploring their interests through resources such as Science Daily or Insights articles. As they progress in their studies, they can then start reading recommended papers and delve deeper into specific sub-fields.
Phys12
I just graduated high school and will be starting my university studies in Physics. Now, I came across the site a while back and was just thinking of reading at least 1 paper everyday. By doing this, I feel like I'll be updated on what's happening in Physics currently (which field and which specific problems are addressed), it sounds exciting, fun, enjoyable and I feel like I'll get to learn a thing of two which I normally wouldn't from my textbooks.

There are a few questions, though, which I'd like to be addressed:

1) Should I do it or will it just be a waste of time?

2) How should I read the paper? Like, obviously I'll make sure I understand the entire paper, but when it comes to the Math and maybe some deeper concepts, I may not be able to. How do I go about reading these parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't even bother with trying to keep up with current physics until you get to the point where you're studying for a specific field. There are just too many papers to read, even for people who aren't in school. Wait a bit so you can narrow things down.

Likes CalcNerd, DrSteve and DrClaude
This is pretty useless. You're a rising freshman, which means that you'll likely are not going to understand many papers on arXiv. It will take you months to understand one paper since you lack the background. So cramming in one paper a day is useless and just impossible. There are many better things to spend your time on.

Likes DrSteve
No. There are so many papers on ArXiv of varying quality that you wouldn't even know where to start. As a grad student, the papers I read on ArXiv are recommended to me/cited in papers I have read and are directly related to research or ones whose authors I know or have heard of.

I think there is also a question of what should you be reading instead.

As a freshman or sophomore student you should really be focussed on your classes and building the foundation that can help you to understand the more complex material later on. Extra-curricular reading at this level is typically more exploratory - figuring out how things work, learning about the different sub-fields in your major, etc. The Insights articles on this website are a great resource for this as it seems that many of them bridge that gap between popular science and the more technical realm. Another decent resource is something like Science Daily - where major publications are summarized in much more accessible language.

Towards the latter half of undergrad, students typically start getting to the point where they can follow recommended readings. If they start on undergraduate projects professors or mentors will usually give them some recommended journals to begin with. A good mentor will be able to tell you what to pay attention to in a given paper. Journals like Physics Today are also a good resource as they typically have interesting articles that summarize what's current in a given field. You can also search "review article" and the topic you're interested in one of the academic search engines like Google Scholar.

In graduate school, your reading becomes a lot more focussed as you need to start learning about your chosen sub-field and your project. Students will typically start out with a handful of recommended papers that they go through in meticulous detail and then spread out from there. Once they learn the jargon in the field and begin to appreciate the problems that are being worked on, the journal readings grow substantially. They begin to collect good references to cite in their own work and thesis, and skim through a lot of material - often to see what other groups that are working on similar problems are up to.

Likes LouTheHomeless and micromass
Just to put things in perspective, there are roughly 10000 papers submitted to the arXiv every month. Even if you read one per day it will not let you keep up with what is going on and you would do do without the experience to pick the right papers, recognise the more shady ones, and without the foundation to understand the papers properly.

As a trained physicist, obviously it is impossible to keep up with everything as well. I am subscribing to a few lists, but I definitely do not read everything in those categories. I read what is related to my own subtopic and occasionally something else I find interesting.

Likes Phys12
Choppy said:
I think there is also a question of what should you be reading instead.

As a freshman or sophomore student you should really be focussed on your classes and building the foundation that can help you to understand the more complex material later on. Extra-curricular reading at this level is typically more exploratory - figuring out how things work, learning about the different sub-fields in your major, etc. The Insights articles on this website are a great resource for this as it seems that many of them bridge that gap between popular science and the more technical realm. Another decent resource is something like Science Daily - where major publications are summarized in much more accessible language.

Towards the latter half of undergrad, students typically start getting to the point where they can follow recommended readings. If they start on undergraduate projects professors or mentors will usually give them some recommended journals to begin with. A good mentor will be able to tell you what to pay attention to in a given paper. Journals like Physics Today are also a good resource as they typically have interesting articles that summarize what's current in a given field. You can also search "review article" and the topic you're interested in one of the academic search engines like Google Scholar.

In graduate school, your reading becomes a lot more focussed as you need to start learning about your chosen sub-field and your project. Students will typically start out with a handful of recommended papers that they go through in meticulous detail and then spread out from there. Once they learn the jargon in the field and begin to appreciate the problems that are being worked on, the journal readings grow substantially. They begin to collect good references to cite in their own work and thesis, and skim through a lot of material - often to see what other groups that are working on similar problems are up to.

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed information. Then I suppose I'll start reading Science Daily and Insights. Thank you so much! :)

Also, I've actually planned to get a little research experience as a freshman too (if a professor allows). And with all of this, for the first 2 years in college, I'll be focused on the following things:

1) My classes, assignments, projects-- #1 priority
2) The research-- may even look to be one of the authors in a paper, if that's possible for a freshman/sophomore.
3) Science Daily and Insights.

Should I add/delete some item from the list?

Add "Friends, and activities outside of physics/math". It's really important to not put your whole entire life into just physics, for a couple of reasons:
1) You'll probably perform better in physics if you do other activities as well. Distracting yourself from problems let's you keep them in the back of your head, where some creative idea might pop up that you wouldn't have thought of, had you stayed thinking about that problem for hours. (Look into diffuse modes of thinking.) It's also great to do other things; do sports, play music, read books, etc..
2) Having friends is nice for a few reasons: first of all, it feels good. We're wired that way as humans. When we have friends, it's a rewarding and pleasurable feeling. Additionally, friends are helpful when you're going through a rough patch (which you almost certainly will go through). And finally, you can form study groups!

Now, one more comment, regarding the research: stop, and think. It's nice that you're excited about physics, and it seems like you want to go to grad school, and maybe go into academia. That's the typical thing. So, naturally, you're thinking that it would probably be a plus to start participating in research during your freshman year.

But you need to stop and think for two reasons. First, what they've stated above: you really need to understand the fundamentals (thoroughly) before you can understand what's being researched today, and why. That brings me to my next point, which is: why do you want to do research? What do you want to do research in? It sounds like you want to get into research purely for the sake of, well, getting into research. Publishing. Yadda yadda. But what research is about (or at least what it should be about) is answering questions you're interested in. I think that's a fundamental part of science education that hasn't really been formalized. Before researching, we should be clear on why we're doing it (usually, later on teachers will guide you and show you what kinds of questions are interesting and accessible, and you'll either agree or disagree. But the important thing is that you understand that research isn't for the sake of research--although it might sound like that sometimes. It's to answer interesting questions and attack interesting problems). Hope this rant was of some help; basically, I'm saying to chill a little and slow down :)

guitarphysics said:
Add "Friends, and activi... chill a little and slow down :)

About that friends and other activities-- absolutely! I understand the necessity of a good social life, but unfortunately, had this realization only after high school. But there's plenty of time left for me, college is just beginning and will make the best of it.

Though, when it comes to activities, I think I'll end up just studying other things which fascinate me like Philosophy, Psychology, Economics and the like, albeit, at only the surface level. I was involved in many activities in school and while I enjoyed most of them, I now enjoy studying (almost anything) more than any activity in the world. There are things I really don't want to do for many activities became a chore after sometime.

I want to get into research (most probably in Astronomy) is because of two reasons:
1) The subject the most fascinating one that I've come across. I really love spending my time doing Math and Physics and after taking a few undergraduate Astronomy courses (from edX, ANUx), I think that this is the field that I want to pursue.

2) Now, of course, I can just study Astronomy as much as I can-- spend the entire life learning different branches, literally. While that sounds amazing, my main aim is to contribute to the field of Astronomy by discovering something new and marvelous. The current problems in Astronomy evoke deep interest in me and I would love nothing more than to spend my time in trying to answer those questions. I wouldn't care more about publication (though I know its important) than I would about doing good Astronomy and actually trying to discover something new and wonderful instead of just publishing papers in mundane discoveries.

And no, it was not a rant. It was extremely helpful and insightful; I really appreciate your time and effort that you put in your reply. Thank you so much. :)

1. What is arXiv and why should I read it as a freshman?

arXiv is an online repository where researchers and scientists share their pre-print articles, papers, and research findings. As a freshman, reading arXiv can expose you to cutting-edge research and help you understand the current trends and developments in your field of study.

2. How can reading arXiv benefit me as a freshman?

Reading arXiv can benefit you in multiple ways as a freshman. It can expand your knowledge and understanding of your field, help you identify potential research topics, and give you a head start in your academic journey. Additionally, reading arXiv can also improve your critical thinking and analytical skills.

3. Are there any specific tips for reading arXiv as a freshman?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you make the most out of reading arXiv as a freshman. Firstly, try to focus on articles that are relevant to your current coursework or interests. Secondly, don't get discouraged by technical jargon or complex equations, as you can always ask for help from your professors or peers. Lastly, try to read a few articles regularly rather than binge-reading, as it will help you retain the information better.

4. Is it necessary to understand all the content on arXiv as a freshman?

No, it is not necessary to understand all the content on arXiv as a freshman. As a beginner, it is natural to feel overwhelmed by the amount of information available on arXiv. Instead, focus on building your foundational knowledge and understanding the key concepts. As you progress in your studies, you will be able to understand and appreciate more of the content on arXiv.

5. Can reading arXiv as a freshman help me in my future career as a scientist?

Absolutely! Reading arXiv as a freshman can give you a head start in your career as a scientist. It can help you stay updated with the latest research, build a strong foundation in your field, and develop critical thinking skills. Additionally, reading arXiv can also help you network with other researchers and scientists, which can be beneficial for your future career opportunities.