Should I retake this course for my applied math major?

• Courses
  • Thread starter camdenreslink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Retake
In summary, the speaker is considering going to graduate school for applied math with a focus on computational or statistics. They recently transferred to a larger university and struggled with a required electricity and magnetism class. They may receive a C+ and are debating whether to retake the class for a higher grade, but this would limit their ability to take higher level math courses. They cannot withdraw from the class without academic penalty.
camdenreslink
I intend to eventually go to graduate school for some type of applied math...I'm leaning towards either computational or statistics.

I just recently transferred to a major research university from a small teaching college, and academically it was a bit of a shock for me. I took mechanics for majors at the smaller teaching college, but it did not prepare me for the electricity and magnetism class for majors at my current school.

I started off the semester very slowly, and have just begun to catch up with the rest of the class. I think I will probably receive a C or C+, and this class is required for my applied math major.

My university allows me to retake a class one additional time for a higher grade. If I retake the class though, that is one less higher level math class I will be able to take later.

So, should I retake it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you still withdraw without academic penalty? Just another option to consider.

General_Sax said:
Can you still withdraw without academic penalty? Just another option to consider.

I cannot. If I were able to, I would.

1. Should I retake this course if I received a low grade?

It depends on your personal goals and circumstances. If the low grade will significantly impact your overall GPA or hinder your ability to pursue a certain career or graduate program, then retaking the course may be beneficial. However, if the low grade does not have a major impact and you have the opportunity to improve your grade in other courses, it may not be necessary to retake the course.

2. Does retaking a course replace the previous grade?

In most cases, yes. Many schools have a policy where the new grade replaces the old one when retaking a course. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor or school policy to confirm this. Some schools may average the two grades or keep both grades on your transcript.

3. Can I retake a course if I passed with a high grade?

Yes, you can retake a course even if you passed with a high grade. However, it is important to consider if retaking the course will benefit you in any way. Retaking a course you did well in may not be worth the time and effort, especially if you have other courses or priorities to focus on.

4. Will retaking a course affect my financial aid?

It depends on the policies of your school and the type of financial aid you receive. Some scholarships or grants may have specific requirements for maintaining certain grades, so retaking a course may impact your eligibility. Additionally, retaking a course may also affect your academic progress and could potentially result in losing financial aid, so it is important to consult with your financial aid office before making a decision.

5. How many times can I retake a course?

This varies depending on the school's policy and the specific course. Some courses may have a limit on how many times you can retake it, while others may allow you to retake it as many times as needed. It is important to check with your school's policy and speak with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action.