Should I study astronomy first or cosmology first?

In summary: That being said, if you are really passionate about Astrophysics, then try learning about the fundamentals of Astrophysics: 1) understanding the structure and evolution of the universe2) understanding the origins, evolution, and future of life in the universe3) understanding the role of dark matter and dark energy in the universeIn summary,You should study Astrophysics if you are passionate about it.
Al-Layth
TL;DR Summary
low IQ Question ik but im thinking
cosmology is basically deducing the
(1) Origination
(2) History of the universe until now.
Based on observering the universe as it is rn, which is what astronomy is.

So should I study Astronomy first then?
tldr summary

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "study"? Self-study, or study in university? What is your background in education so far in Physics and Math?

berkeman said:
What do you mean by "study"? Self-study, or study in university? What is your background in education so far in Physics and Math?
self study.

i "studied" physics in school until A-Level. (Exams at 18 years old in the UK)
Didn't truly understand anything from a truly scientific perspective but still did well in exams. I just obediently studied the proposed theories of matter, (atomic physics) the proposed theory of electromagnetism, the proposed theory of various astronomical problems like gravitation as being solved by General Relativity etc without ever assessing the observations first. I intend to study physics properly this time, by being much more evidence and observation centric.

and i'm wondering if i should study astronomy first or cosmology.

As for pure Math I have studied up until
vector calculus, some linear Algebra, differential equations.

I'd say you can't understand cosmology without understanding the basics of astronomy first.

Likes vanhees71, Al-Layth and russ_watters
Al-Layth said:
self study.

Didn't truly understand anything from a truly scientific perspective but still did well in exams. I just obediently studied the proposed theories of matter, (atomic physics) the proposed theory of electromagnetism, the proposed theory of various astronomical problems like gravitation as being solved by General Relativity etc.
Since when was GR part of the A-level syllabus?

PeroK said:
Since when was GR part of the A-level syllabus?
its not a part of the syllabus. the math is much too advanced

But ideas of spacetime and matter-light contorting it were described in general terms, as if they are fact.

Al-Layth said:
its not a part of the syllabus. the math is much too advanced

But ideas of spacetime and matter-light contorting it were described in general terms, as if they are fact.
Two suggestions:

1) it might be worth getting An Introduction to Modern Cosmology by Andrew Liddle and see how you get on.

2) you could try learning SR (special relativity), as that requires only high-school maths. The first chapter of Morin's book is free online. Google for morin relativity.

Alternatively, i especially like Helliwell's book:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/6453378-special-relativity

Re astronomy, you could buy a telescope?

Likes vanhees71
Al-Layth said:
self study.

Didn't truly understand anything from a truly scientific perspective but still did well in exams. I just obediently studied the proposed theories of matter, (atomic physics) the proposed theory of electromagnetism, the proposed theory of various astronomical problems like gravitation as being solved by General Relativity etc without ever assessing the observations first. I intend to study physics properly this time, by being much more evidence and observation centric.

and i'm wondering if i should study astronomy first or cosmology.

As for pure Math I have studied up until
vector calculus, some linear Algebra, differential equations.
My sense says, YOU want to do Astrophysics; no matter if done first or not. Just watch and attend to the official listed prerequisite courses to ensure you are qualified.

Likes Al-Layth

1. Should I study astronomy or cosmology first?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the study of celestial objects and their behavior, then astronomy may be a better starting point. If you are interested in the larger structure and evolution of the universe, then cosmology may be a better fit.

2. Is astronomy a prerequisite for studying cosmology?

No, it is not necessary to study astronomy before cosmology. However, having a basic understanding of astronomy can provide a helpful foundation for understanding cosmological concepts.

3. Can I study both astronomy and cosmology simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study both fields at the same time. However, it may be more challenging as they are both complex and require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.

4. What are the main differences between astronomy and cosmology?

Astronomy focuses on the study of celestial objects and their behavior, while cosmology focuses on the larger structure and evolution of the universe. Astronomy also tends to be more observational, while cosmology is more theoretical and mathematical.

5. Which field has better career opportunities, astronomy or cosmology?

Both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities, including research, teaching, and working in government or private organizations. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and skills. However, cosmology may have more opportunities in theoretical and mathematical research, while astronomy may have more opportunities in observational and data analysis research.