Shouldn't this be kinetic friction instead of static friction!?

In summary: The concepts of rolling resistance, kinetic friction and static friction for a rolling wheel is a hot topic!In summary, the car is moving in one direction and skidding/not-skidding in another direction.
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
Shouldn't this be kinetic friction instead of static friction!?
I know how to solve the problem but the thing is I'm confused!
I think that it must be Kinetic friction because the car is moving
I hope you understand my point!
Relevant Equations
F_s =u_s*N
IMG_20230425_192735_725.jpg
IMG_20230425_192746_348.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction is the car moving ? In what direction is the car skidding/not-skidding ?

hmmm27 said:
In what direction is the car moving ? In what direction is the car skidding/not-skidding ?
What I'm asking about is why is STATIC FRICTION not KINETICK Friction?
1682441436011.png

Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Homework Statement: Shouldn't this be kinetic friction instead of static friction!?
I know how to solve the problem but the thing is I'm confused!
I think that it must be Kinetic friction because the car is moving
Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces slide over each other; there must be relative motion between the two surfaces in contact. When a tyre rolls, there is no sliding between the rubber and the road (unless wheelspin or a skid occurs).

It is useful to think about what would happen if the car going in a circle hit a patch of perfectly smooth ice (where there is no friction).

Likes MatinSAR
Just because an object is moving does not mean that kinetic friction is necessarily at play.

Place a small book on flat table. Push hard down on the book with your hand and move your hand horizontally so that the book slides across the table. Both static and kinetic forces of friction act on the moving book. Static between your hand and the book because the book and your hand do not move relative to each other; kinetic between the book and the table because the book and the table move relative to each other.

How does this difference between the two apply here?

Likes nasu
First time studying friction so be patient on me please.
So if a car is using a handbrake on road it has Kinetic friction?
And if it is moving on a road with curve it has static friction and no kinetic friction at all?

Skidding tires are under the influence of kinetic friction. Rolling (but not skidding tires) are under the influence of static friction.

When a rear-wheel drive car accelerates so quickly that the rear tires are smoking, which type of friction is in play for the front tires? For the rear tires? :smile:

was-ist-driften-guide-infos.jpg

https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/what-is-drifting-guide

Likes malawi_glenn
I am sure that for the front tires it's static
for the rear im taking only a guess that its also static? Cause they are rolling?
Still having hard time imagining it.

The rear tires are skidding/slipping, so that would involve kinetic friction. :smile:

It's the same for locking up the brakes and skidding to a stop, and for doing a burn-out with lots of power to the tires -- in both cases the tire surface rubber is sliding against the roadway, not rolling smoothly with it. Does that help?

Likes PeroK
berkeman said:
It's the same for locking up the brakes and skidding to a stop, and for doing a burn-out with lots of power to the tires -- in both cases the tire surface rubber is sliding against the roadway, not rolling smoothly with it. Does that help?
I have got it now thank you for your time.
Man I love this site!

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn, PeroK and berkeman
Where we have ice and snow in winter, tires generally have slightly lower dynamic friction than friction on ice. So when stuck on icy & snow, it is important not to spin the wheels fast which many unskilled drivers tend to do. Rather the solution is to rock the momentum of static forces in forward and reverse until you travel to better traction surface. Studded tires can offer more dynamic friction but damage highways with high volume of track so only salt and sand are used, spread by trucks

But for AA Fuel dragsters, they will use ammonia or some fluid to raise the tire temp with low dynamic friction so that the static friction improves. The same is true for Race Cars where the tire softness and friction loss temperature rise is optimized for the weather and lifetime of soft tires needing changes and lost racing time to change tires.

But generally, static friction reduces once any part of the tire loses contact at any speed or direction.
This is how ABS or automatic breaking system electronics works in cars. Once wheel slip is detected on braking, the brakes are pulsed-off to allow the wheels to turn, so the driver can steer. If the front tires are locked (dynamic friction) you cannot steer the vehicle.

p.s. we used to race British cars in winter of '69 on Ice andt he ones with front-wheel-drive and huge tungsten studs would go into hairpin corners at 60 MPH and then accelerate to pull the car around the corner.

TonyStewart said:
once any part of the tire loses contact
I assume you mean loses static contact, i.e. starts to slip, not loses contact altogether.

Likes TonyStewart

1. What is the difference between kinetic friction and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two objects that are already in motion, while static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it.

2. Why is it important to distinguish between kinetic friction and static friction?

Understanding the difference between these two types of friction is important in predicting and analyzing the motion of objects. It also helps in designing structures and machines that require specific amounts of friction to function properly.

3. How can you tell if a situation calls for kinetic friction or static friction?

If an object is already in motion, then kinetic friction is present. On the other hand, if an object is at rest and a force is being applied to it, then static friction is present. Additionally, the coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. Can kinetic friction ever be greater than static friction?

No, kinetic friction is always less than or equal to static friction. This is because once an object starts moving, the force of kinetic friction is typically less than the maximum force of static friction that was keeping the object at rest.

5. Are there any real-life examples where static friction is greater than kinetic friction?

Yes, a common example is when you are pushing a heavy object across the floor. Initially, the force of static friction is greater than the force you are applying, so the object does not move. However, once the object starts moving, the force of kinetic friction is less than the maximum force of static friction that was keeping the object at rest.