Show My Desktop - See How a Nerd Works!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, Ivan's desktop is typical for a nerd, with a few quirky elements. His organizational method is unusual, and his wallpaper is of a politician.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since people are always giving me a bad time about my desktop, I thought it might be interesting to see how I compare. I'm guessing that mine is typical for a nerd?

I deleted the name of my business under one folder. If you post, but sure to check for any potential privacy issues first. [If I missed anything, please let me know!]

I got an email earlier asking if I could still find anything on mine. :rolleyes: Yes, actually, it works very well for me!

Attachments

• Screen_sized.JPG
    Screen_sized.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 686
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about this. :biggrin:

Btw, your files are scattered just like the stars! Guess it matchs with your background, how do you look for any file you want?

drizzle said:
I'm not sure about this. :biggrin:

Btw, your files are scattered just like the stars! Guess it matchs with your background, how do you look for any file you want?

There is a rough grouping from left to right by function, with some prioretization from top to bottom, subgroups according to the brand [proprietary industrial software and such] and offsets to highlight frequently used programs. It is actually quite intuitive.

Matches with my background? I have no idea what that means. [edit: Do you mean the UFO stuff? Heh, that is a hobby, my background is in physics and engineering [and obviously, programming]. :smile:]

Last edited:
I let Win XP structure my desktop, and it is always nagging me about removing "unused icons". I'm sorry, but I live in a more glacial time-frame, and if I haven't used an icon in a year, that doesn't mean that I want to get rid of it.

This is mine. Everything in nice orderly rows.

It takes me a while to delete icons, as well. I just noticed a txt file titled Borek that turned out to be just a binary question mark. A little bit of thought and I remembered what that was about. It referred to a thread I'd made about the Golden Record on the Voyager spacecraft which progressed to discussing the best format for a message transmitted to the stars.

Attachments

• desktop1.JPG
    desktop1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
BobG said:
This is mine. Everything in nice orderly rows.

It takes me a while to delete icons, as well. I just noticed a txt file titled Borek that turned out to be just a binary question mark. A little bit of thought and I remembered what that was about. It referred to a thread I'd made about the Golden Record on the Voyager spacecraft which progressed to discussing the best format for a message transmitted to the stars.

The weight of your icons is causing the picture to tilt. You might want to fix that before it damages your screen.

One folder on the left top corner is named Desk_Oct03_10. It has one folder inside it named Desk_Apr21 ...

Attachments

• desktop.JPG
    desktop.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 543
I'll save the server space, since there's nothing to see anyway: mine's plain black and my icons/files are lined-up along the left in 8 columns.

Oh yes, I should note that my organizational technique is probably unusual. What usually raises eyebrows first is the head count.

It looks like rootX already has me beat.

rootX said:
One folder on the left top corner is named Desk_Oct03_10. It has one folder inside it named Desk_Apr21 ...

Your wallpaper is Sarah Palin beating a baby seal in a blizzard?

2vblrf8.jpg

Good grief Ivan. I couldn't handle your desktop.

I only put pdfs that I haven't read on my desktop. Then I archive them.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 476
lisab said:
2vblrf8.jpg

Hey! No Nudi-ty!

_Tully said:
Hey! No Nudi-ty!

Ahaha...I love nudies :!)!

My desktop is the SDSS version of M-51. Overlain with icons that I may or may not use soon.

turbo-1 said:
My desktop is the SDSS version of M-51. Overlain with icons that I may or may not use soon.

I used to have a lot of icons too, but now I have nearly all of them in two folders: "Stuff" and "More Stuff".

dlgoff said:
Good grief Ivan. I couldn't handle your desktop.

I only put pdfs that I haven't read on my desktop. Then I archive them.

It has evolved over the years into a map that makes perfect sense and allows me to work most efficiently. I don't know if you know anything about the PLC world, but if so, I happened to notice a correction that is needed. I have PanelBuilder 32 located just below RSLogix 5000, and RSView Studio below that. Clearly PanelBuilder should be located above next to RSLogix 500, and RSView located next to RSLogix 5000, as this is the grouping that would almost always occur in practice. RSLogix 500 comes before RS5000 as this was order that the software came out. RSLogix 5 has been moved off the map as it is almost completely out of use.

I had to do a new install recently that messed up my map [Rockwell's yearly blood money. :biggrin:]

Last edited:
Here's what mine looks like right now. It's about time to clean things up so as not to block the view.

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 449
pf.desktopagain.2010.12.02.1846.jpg

Another forum members wife? I must say, I am peculiar.

But anyways...

My "Vacuum (cleaner)" folder is for those things that might come in handy one day when I have time to dig through the bag for bits of detritus that might be interesting.

But I know from experience, that I'll eventually have to empty it out.

Like my living room in spring.

:smile:

me <--- packrat (I really am trying to rehabilitate myself. I threw out god knows what a week ago.)

9jd83s.jpg

I'm sorry, I don't know how to make this **** smaller.

Great one, sam! And actual size too, lol...

I normally obsess over Jennifer Connelly but due to a recent forced reformat I only have Megan Fox :(

http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/45717/2534227070056081071S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
pf.desktopagain.2010.12.02.1846.jpg

My, your monitor certainly has an interesting aspect ratio. Is it some sort of "ultra-portrait" monitor? :smile:

Ivan, that's pretty crazy, we have significantly similar occupational backgrounds. I use Siemens instead of Rockwell, and I work mostly in motion control, but a lot of the logic is done in S7 which is comparable to RSLogix.

Other than sam's unoriginal idea, the desktops in this thread are pretty ugly. /g/ would have a field day with you. :P

lisab said:

That's a spectacular looking thing, Lisa! Seriously, seriously cool.

FlexGunship said:
Ivan, that's pretty crazy, we have significantly similar occupational backgrounds. I use Siemens instead of Rockwell, and I work mostly in motion control, but a lot of the logic is done in S7 which is comparable to RSLogix.

It sounds that way. I have focused on three brands over the years, but being independent now I have to be pretty flexible, so in addition to the All-Amercian Standard, I do work with [or have worked with] S7 platforms, Omron, Automation Direct stuff [giving AB a run for its money!], Mitsubishi, various niche SCADA platforms, National Instruments, Galil, Control Microsystems, and probably a half dozen other names that I don't recall. It tends to be customer driven. I also do board-level design at times, so I get into PIC programming here and there. Plenty of motion work. I have a small panel and some servos in my office and sitting about four feet to my left at the moment.

I don't have a desktop. Either PF or Adventure Quest is full screen 24/7. The G-3's are off because of accessibility issues, but this beloved little MacBook has been running non-stop for about 4 years. It's been rebooted half a dozen times for software updates, but never turned off.
For a while, I had Marlon's girlfriend as my screen-saver, and Evo as my desktop. Both of those just led to a state of sexual frustration that I couldn't handle, so I turfed the pair and returned to the built-in OS art.

Last edited:
lisab said:

Me to! Cephalopods win the best-marine-beasty award for me though! So, phylum mollusca wins it all I guess!

Not anywhere near as cool as Lisa's.

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 369
GeorginaS said:
Not anywhere near as cool as Lisa's.

Oh that's really beautiful, very ethereal!

lisab said:
Oh that's really beautiful, very ethereal!

You're just one of the sweetest women on the planet, right? :smile:

GeorginaS said:
You're just one of the sweetest women on the planet, right? :smile:

Sweet heart; sweet tart; swe... naw, I'm done.