Show that +1 is an eigenvalue of an odd-dimensional rotation matrix.

In summary: We can use it to prove that all the eigenvalues must be 1 or -1.In summary, the problem is to show that a rotation matrix in an odd-dimensional vector space leaves unchanged the vectors of at least a one-dimensional subspace. This can be reduced to proving that 1 is an eigenvalue of the matrix if n is odd. The determinant of a rotational matrix is always 1, and it is also orthogonal, making its inverse equal to its transpose. By considering the characteristic polynomial and the fact that the determinant of an orthogonal matrix is 1, we can show that the eigenvalues of a rotation matrix can only be 1 or -1. However, this does not necessarily mean that one of the eigenvalues must be
Calabi_Yau

Homework Statement

The probelm is to show, that a rotation matrix R, in a odd-dimensional vector space, leaves unchanged the vectors of at least an one-dimensional subspace.

Homework Equations

This reduces to proving that 1 is an eigenvalue of Rnxn if n is odd. I know that a rotational matrix has determinant = 1 and that it is orthogonal and thus its inverse equals its transpose.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have considered det(R - I) = 0, as there is some v ≠ 0 such that (R - I)v = 0, thus R - I is singular and det(R - I) = 0. Now, what I'm having trouble dealing with, is proving that this only happens for odd-dimensional vector spaces. How do I "insert" the odd-dimension in this problem? Could you give me an hint? I feel like I'm really close but I can't seem to figure it out. :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Let M be your rotational matrix. You know it has determinant 1. How is the determinant related to the eigenvalues? And in general (never mind odd n) what are all the eigenvalues of an orthonormal matrix?

Do you know that the determinant of any matrix is the product of its eigenvalues? Do you know that the eigenvalues of an orthogonal matrix are all ones and negative ones? Do you know that the determinant of an othogonal matrix is 1?

From the last two, it follows that an orthogonal matrix must have an even number of negative eigenvalues.

The determinant being the product of the eigenvalues only applies if the matrix is invertible, I guess.
The absolute value of the real eigenvalues of a rotation matriz is always 1. But there are orthogonal matrices with complex eigenvalues. But I already got it. By showing that the matrix R has only eigenvalues of 1 or -1. Being its determinant = 1 and n odd, then its eigenvalues must be 1.

Calabi_Yau said:
The determinant being the product of the eigenvalues only applies if the matrix is invertible, I guess.
No, this is true in general for square matrices. Indeed, 0 is an eigenvalue of the matrix if and only if the matrix is singular.

Calabi_Yau said:
By showing that the matrix R has only eigenvalues of 1 or -1. Being its determinant = 1 and n odd, then its eigenvalues must be 1.
Perhaps you misspoke, but your conclusion as written isn't true. For example,
$$R = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}$$ has eigenvalues that aren't 1.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know that the eigenvalues of an orthogonal matrix are all ones and negative ones?
That's not true, Halls. Consider ##\begin{pmatrix} \phantom{-}\cos\theta & \sin\theta \\ -\sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix}##. The eigenvalues of this rather simple rotation matrix are ##\cos\theta \pm i \sin\theta##. These are one or negative one iff ##\sin\theta = 0##.
Calabi_Yau said:
But there are orthogonal matrices with complex eigenvalues.
That is correct. What does the characteristic polynomial look like? What does that mean regarding those complex eigenvalues?

Presumably you are working with ℝn, which means all elements of the rotation matrix are real. If this is a rotation matrix for vectors in ℂn it is not longer necessarily true that one of the eigenvalues must be +1 for odd n.
Calabi_Yau said:
But I already got it. By showing that the matrix R has only eigenvalues of 1 or -1.
You cannot show the matrix R has only eigenvalues of 1 and -1 because this is not true.

Here's a counterexample: ##\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \phantom{-}\cos\theta & \sin\theta \\ 0 & -\sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix}##. The eigenvalues are 1, cos(θ)+sin(θ)i, and cos(θ)-sin(θ)i.

Last edited:
D H said:
That's not true, Halls. Consider ##\begin{pmatrix} \phantom{-}\cos\theta & \sin\theta \\ -\sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix}##. The eigenvalues of this rather simple rotation matrix are ##\cos\theta \pm i \sin\theta##. These are one or negative one iff ##\sin\theta = 0##.

That is correct. What does the characteristic polynomial look like? What does that mean regarding those complex eigenvalues?

Presumably you are working with ℝn, which means all elements of the rotation matrix are real. If this is a rotation matrix for vectors in ℂn it is not longer necessarily true that one of the eigenvalues must be +1 for odd n.

You cannot show the matrix R has only eigenvalues of 1 and -1 because this is not true.

Here's a counterexample: ##\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \phantom{-}\cos\theta & \sin\theta \\ 0 & -\sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix}##. The eigenvalues are 1, cos(θ)+sin(θ)i, and cos(θ)-sin(θ)i.

This problem would be easier if all the eigenvalues were 1 or -1. Your suggestion to look at the characteristic polynomial is important.

Related to Show that +1 is an eigenvalue of an odd-dimensional rotation matrix.

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents a special characteristic of a matrix. It is obtained by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix and is used to describe the behavior of the matrix when it operates on a vector.

2. How can we determine if +1 is an eigenvalue of a rotation matrix?

To determine if +1 is an eigenvalue of a rotation matrix, we can calculate the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is equal to +1, then +1 is an eigenvalue of the matrix. This is because rotation matrices have a determinant of +1 or -1, and the eigenvalues of a rotation matrix must be the same as its determinant.

3. Why is it important to show that +1 is an eigenvalue of an odd-dimensional rotation matrix?

Showing that +1 is an eigenvalue of an odd-dimensional rotation matrix is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the matrix when it operates on a vector. It also helps us to analyze the rotation and symmetry properties of the matrix, which are important concepts in mathematics and physics.

4. What is the significance of the odd dimension in this context?

The odd dimension in this context is significant because it ensures that the determinant of the rotation matrix is equal to +1, which in turn guarantees that +1 is an eigenvalue of the matrix. This is because for odd-dimensional matrices, the determinant can only be +1 or -1, and since we are looking for +1 as an eigenvalue, an odd dimension is necessary.

5. How can we prove that +1 is an eigenvalue of an odd-dimensional rotation matrix?

To prove that +1 is an eigenvalue of an odd-dimensional rotation matrix, we can use the characteristic equation of the matrix and substitute +1 as the eigenvalue. Solving this equation will result in a non-zero solution, which confirms that +1 is indeed an eigenvalue of the odd-dimensional rotation matrix.