Show that ##2 {\cos \theta} +(1- \tan \theta)^2≈ 3 - 2\theta##

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
Then we could have told you that the approximation is just the first two terms of the binomial expansion of ##\cos\theta##.In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a past paper question involving the use of approximations for small angles. The solution involves using the first two terms of the binomial expansion for ##\cos\theta## and assumes that ##\theta## is reasonably small. The result follows easily from this approximation.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Show that ##2 \cos \theta +(1- \tan \theta)^2≈ 3 - 2\theta##
Relevant Equations
trigonometry
This is a past paper question...

find the solution here from ms
1645159566726.png
...wawawawawa...it took a little bit of my time because i was only thinking of taking limits...then realized that i was wrong as we have to remain with ##2θ##...i later realized that for small approximations, ##\cos θ≈1-\frac {1}{2}θ^2, \tan θ≈θ##.

Is there a different way of solving this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Term order of 1 comes as 2+1=3
Coefficient of ##\theta## comes as 0-2=-2
Coefficient of ##\theta^2## comes as -1+1=0
Coefficient of ##\theta^3## comes as 0+0=0
and so on.

When we write the formula
[tex][2\ cos\theta+\sec^2\theta]+[-2\tan\theta][/tex]
=[even function of ##\theta##]+[odd function of ##\theta##]
All the even power terms come from the first term. All the odd power terms come from the second term and it is easy to get.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
This is the continuation of the question...part (b)... i really am not getting how they are solving this...the angles are in radians...approximation is their approach...

1645187085927.png

solution;

1645187131484.png

any better way?

chwala said:
any better way?
I doubt it. In this part, as in the first part, they're assuming that ##\theta## is reasonably small, so ##\sin(\theta) \approx \theta##.

Using the result of the first part of the problem, we have ##3 - 2 \theta = 28\sin(\theta) \approx 28\theta##. The result follows almost immediately.

Mark44 said:
I doubt it. In this part, as in the first part, they're assuming that ##\theta## is reasonably small, so ##\sin(\theta) \approx \theta##.

Using the result of the first part of the problem, we have ##3 - 2 \theta = 28\sin(\theta) \approx 28\theta##. The result follows almost immediately.
Noted ...cheers Mark.

chwala said:
This is the continuation of the question...part (b)... i really am not getting how they are solving this...the angles are in radians...approximation is their approach...

View attachment 297267

It would have been helpful to include, in Post #1, a statement about θ being a small angle.

• Love
Likes Mark44

1. What does the equation "2 cos theta + (1 - tan theta)^2 ≈ 3 - 2 theta" mean?

The equation is a mathematical expression that shows an approximate relationship between the cosine and tangent functions of an angle theta. It suggests that when theta is small, the sum of 2 times the cosine of theta and the square of 1 minus the tangent of theta is approximately equal to 3 minus 2 times theta.

2. How is this equation derived?

The equation is derived using Taylor series expansion, which is a method for approximating a function by a polynomial. In this case, the Taylor series for the cosine and tangent functions are used to approximate the expression on the left side of the equation, which is then equated to the expression on the right side.

3. What is the significance of this equation?

This equation has several applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of trigonometric functions and their approximations. It can also be used to solve problems involving small angles, as it provides a simple and accurate approximation for the given expression.

4. Can this equation be used for all values of theta?

No, this equation is only valid for small values of theta. As theta gets larger, the approximation becomes less accurate and other methods must be used to solve the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Yes, as mentioned before, the equation is only valid for small values of theta. Additionally, it is an approximation and not an exact solution, so it may not be suitable for certain precision-critical applications. It also assumes that the angle theta is in radians, not degrees.