Show that a group has exactly one idempotent element

In summary, we need to prove that in a group, the identity element is the only idempotent element. We can do this by showing that any other idempotent element must be equal to the identity element. This can be done by using the cancellation law and the fact that all elements in a group have an inverse.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that a group has exactly one idempotent element.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we need to show that the identity element is the unique idempotent element in a group.

First, we know that by definition of a group there is at least one element, e, such that ##e * e = e##.

Second, we need to show that there is at most one idempotent element. We do this by showing that if ##x*x=x## and ##y*y=y## then ##x=y##... This is as far as I get. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that a group has exactly one idempotent element.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we need to show that the identity element is the unique idempotent element in a group.

First, we know that by definition of a group there is at least one element, e, such that ##e * e = e##.

Second, we need to show that there is at most one idempotent element. We do this by showing that if ##x*x=x## and ##y*y=y## then ##x=y##... This is as far as I get. Am I on the right track?
What does it mean for ##x\cdot x = x^2=x\,##? Any idea to get rid of one ##x\,##?

fresh_42 said:
What does it mean for ##x\cdot x = x^2=x\,##? Any idea to get rid of one ##x\,##?
I can use the cancellation law. But how does that logically show that e is the unique element in the group that is idempotent?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I can use the cancellation law. But how does that logically show that e is the unique element in the group that is idempotent?
If ##x## is any idempotent element, i.e. ##x^2=x## then you can multiply (as in school on both sides) the whole equation with ##x^{-1}##, which is probably what you meant by cancellation. You can do this, because all elements of a group have an inverse. Then - if you want to be very rigorous and pedantic - you can apply associativity and the existence and definition of ##e##. Write it down and see what it says.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
You know more than that about e. You know x*e=x. Use that. The fact that e*e = e should tell you that you need to prove that x=e.

1. What is an idempotent element in a group?

An idempotent element in a group is an element that, when multiplied by itself, gives the same element. In other words, the element remains unchanged under multiplication.

2. How do you show that a group has exactly one idempotent element?

To show that a group has exactly one idempotent element, we need to prove that there is only one element in the group that satisfies the definition of an idempotent element. This can be done by assuming that there are two idempotent elements and showing that they must be equal, thus proving that there is only one idempotent element in the group.

3. Why is it important to have exactly one idempotent element in a group?

Having exactly one idempotent element in a group is important because it helps to define the structure and properties of the group. It also allows for simpler and more efficient calculations within the group.

4. Can a group have more than one idempotent element?

No, a group cannot have more than one idempotent element. This is because an idempotent element must be unique in order to satisfy the definition of a group, which requires every element to have a unique inverse.

5. How does the presence of an idempotent element affect the operations in a group?

The presence of an idempotent element in a group does not affect the operations in the group, as it is simply another element with its own unique properties. However, it can simplify calculations and make it easier to define the structure of the group.