Show that a matrix's transpose has same eigenvalue.

In summary: Thanks for catching that!No, you don't need to do that, which is just as well because you can't. Each equation has multiple solutions.
charlies1902
Show that a matrix and its transpose have the same eigenvalues.
I must show that det(A-λI)=det(A^t-λI)
Since det(A)=det(A^t)
→det(A-λI)=det((A-λI)^t)=det(A^t-λI^t)=det(A^t-λI)
Thus, A and A^t have the same eigenvalues.

Is the above enough to prove that a matrix and its transpose have the same eigenvalues or am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
Show that a matrix and its transpose have the same eigenvalues.
I must show that det(A-λI)=det(A^t-λI)
Since det(A)=det(A^t)
→det(A-λI)=det((A-λI)^t)=det(A^t-λI^t)=det(A^t-λI)
Thus, A and A^t have the same eigenvalues.

Is the above enough to prove that a matrix and its transpose have the same eigenvalues or am i missing something?

No, I don't think you are missing anything. The eigenvalues of A and A^t satisfy the same equation.

I don't think you've shown that they have the same eigenvalues.

You want to show that a=b in the following equations; Ax=ax and A^T x=bx

You know that Det[A-aI]=0 and Det[A^T-bI]=0 solves the eigenvalue problems.

Right now I don't see a way to do this, but I'm sure if you look in a linear text you'll find some theorems in the determinant section.

klawlor419 said:
I don't think you've shown that they have the same eigenvalues.

You know that Det[A-aI]=0 and Det[A^T-bI]=0 solves the eigenvalue problems.

Right now I don't see a way to do this, but I'm sure if you look in a linear text you'll find some theorems in the determinant section.

If you know a is an eigenvalue iff Det[A-aI]=0 and Det[A^T-bI]=Det[A-aI], aren't you kind of done?

Dick said:
If you know a is an eigenvalue iff Det[A-aI]=0 and Det[A^T-bI]=Det[A-aI], aren't you kind of done?

Does this mean that eigenvalue a necessarily equals eigenvalue b?

klawlor419 said:
No, you don't need to do that, which is just as well because you can't.
Each equation has multiple solutions. If you could show that an arbitrary pair, one from each equation, is the same then you would have shown all solutions are the same in each equation.
It is only necessary to show that the set of solutions is the same for each equation, and that is clear since the set is determined by the roots of the polynomial det(A-λI).

haruspex said:
No, you don't need to do that, which is just as well because you can't.
Each equation has multiple solutions. If you could show that an arbitrary pair, one from each equation, is the same then you would have shown all solutions are the same in each equation.
It is only necessary to show that the set of solutions is the same for each equation, and that is clear since the set is determined by the roots of the polynomial det(A-λI).

Thanks haruspex makes sense now.

klawlor419 said:
Does this mean that eigenvalue a necessarily equals eigenvalue b?

I meant to say Det[A^T-aI]=Det[A-aI]. I quoted the Det's from your comment and didn't notice the b.

1. What is the definition of a matrix's transpose?

The transpose of a matrix is obtained by swapping the rows and columns of the original matrix, resulting in a new matrix with the dimensions flipped. For example, the transpose of a 3x4 matrix would be a 4x3 matrix.

2. How do you prove that a matrix's transpose has the same eigenvalues?

To show that a matrix's transpose has the same eigenvalues as the original matrix, we can use the fact that the determinant of a matrix and its transpose are equal. Since eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic equation, which is based on the determinant of a matrix, we can conclude that the eigenvalues of a matrix and its transpose are the same.

3. Can you provide an example of a matrix whose transpose has different eigenvalues?

Yes, an example would be a non-square matrix. Since the transpose of a non-square matrix results in a matrix with different dimensions, the eigenvalues will also be different.

4. How does the transpose of a matrix affect its eigenvectors?

The eigenvectors of a matrix's transpose are the same as the eigenvectors of the original matrix. This is because the transpose operation does not affect the direction or span of the vectors, only their arrangement in rows and columns.

5. Why is it important to know that a matrix's transpose has the same eigenvalues?

Knowing that a matrix's transpose has the same eigenvalues can be useful in various applications, such as finding the principal components of a dataset or solving systems of linear equations. It also simplifies calculations and reduces the number of steps required to find eigenvalues.