Show that a normal subgroup <S> is equal to <T>

In summary, we aim to show that the subgroup ⟨S⟩ generated by S is normal, where S is a subset of a group G such that g−1Sg ⊂ S for any g∈G. To do this, we will consider the normal closure of T, which is defined as the minimal normal subgroup containing T. Letting T be any subset of G, we observe that the normal closure of T can be expressed as S' = ⟨∪g∈G gTg^−1⟩. We then claim that S' is the minimal normal subgroup containing T, and to prove this, it suffices to show that S' is contained in every normal subgroup that contains T. This can be easily shown
QIsReluctant
Note: I only need help on the underlined portion of the problem, but I'm including all parts since they may provide relevant information. Thanks in advance.

1. Homework Statement

Let S be a subset of a group G such that g−1Sg ⊂ S for any g∈G. Show that the subgroup ⟨S⟩ generated by S is normal.
Let T be any subset of G and let S = g−1Tg. Show that ⟨S⟩ is the normal subgroup generated by T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply the first part of the problem to see that <S> is normal, and that is as far as I am getting. I know that <S> ⊇ <T> by the definitions, but since we have such little information about T I can't get much further. If the normal/"ordinary" subgroups containing S and T were the same then the conclusion would be obvious but the definition of G seems to preclude this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let S be a subset of a group G such that g−1Sg ⊂ S for any g∈G. Show that the subgroup ⟨S⟩ generated by S is normal.

So ##S \subseteq G##, and ##g^{-1} S g \subset S, \forall g \in G##.

Did you mean ##S \subseteq G##, and ##g^{-1} S g = S, \forall g \in G##?

This would tell you ##S## is a normal subgroup of ##G## because the similarity transformation holds ##\forall g \in G##.

Let ##\left< S \right>## be the subgroup generated by ##S##. Then ##\left< S \right> \subseteq S \subseteq G, \forall g \in G## and ##\left< S \right>## is also a subgroup of ##G##. The similarity transformation of ##\left< S \right>## by some ##g \in G## that is not in ##\left< S \right>## will always give a subgroup of ##G##.

So all that would be left to show is ##g^{-1} \left< S \right> g = \left< S \right>, \forall g \in G##. You know every element in ##\left< S \right>## is contained in ##S## and ##S## is normal. So ##\left< S \right> \unlhd G##.

QIsReluctant said:
Let T be any subset of G and let S = g−1Tg. Show that ⟨S⟩ is the normal subgroup generated by T.

If by this, you mean that ##\langle gTg^{-1}\rangle=\langle{T}\rangle## for any subset of a group, then I dispute your claim.

Just consider a group ##G## where ##G'## is a subgroup of ##G## that is not normal (i.e., ##gG'g^{-1}\ne G##). Indeed, if the set ##\{g_1,\ldots,g_n\}## generate ##G'##, then their conjugates ##\{gg_1 g^{-1},\ldots,gg_{n}g^{-1}\}## obviously generate ##gG'g^{-1}##. This is a counter example to your claim that ##\langle gTg^{-1}\rangle=\langle T\rangle## for any subset of ##G##. So I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at with the underlined portion of your question.

Likes QIsReluctant
Correction!
Let T be any subset of G and let S = Ug ∈ Gg−1Tg. Show that ⟨S⟩ is the normal subgroup generated by T.

QIsReluctant said:
Correction!
Let T be any subset of G and let S = Ug ∈ Gg−1Tg. Show that ⟨S⟩ is the normal subgroup generated by T.

I think I misinterpreted your question the first time around. Do you mean by 'the normal subgroup generated by ##T##' the normal closure of ##T##? The normal closure of ##T## is the minimal normal subgroup containing ##T##.

If so, then let's claim that ##S'=\langle\bigcup_{g\in{G}}gTg^{-1}\rangle## is the minimal such group. Then, notice this means that ##S'=\bigcap\{N\colon N\unlhd G\text{ and }T\subseteq{N}\}##, which is to say, ##S'## is the intersection of all normal subgroups containing ##T##. That the intersection of all normal subgroups is the minimal such normal subgroup containing ##T## is clear, for if there were another, then it was in our intersection.

[As an exercise, show that the intersection of an arbitrary collection of normal subgroups of a group is normal]. Here's how I would go about this problem:

First, notice that our claim that ##S'## is the minimal such normal subgroup containing ##T## is true ##\iff## ##S'## is contained in every normal subgroup that contains ##T##, after all, ##S'## is a normal subgroup containing ##T##.

[Pf: ##(\implies)## If ##S'## is the minimal such normal subgroup, then ##S'## is in the intersection ##S''=\bigcap\{N\colon N\unlhd G\text{ and }T\subseteq{N}\}## as ##T\subseteq S'## and ##S'\unlhd G##; hence, ##S''\subseteq S'## (this is just a property of intersections). By the exercise above, ##S''\unlhd G## and since ##S'## is in this intersection, ##S''\unlhd S'##, but this contradicts the minimality assumption on ##S'##, so ##S''=S'##, and so ##S'## is contained in every member of the intersection. ##(\impliedby)## This is straight forward because ##T\subseteq S'##, ##S'\unlhd G## and ##S'## is contained in every member of the intersection of ##S''##.]

Therefore, it suffices to prove that ##S'## is contained in every normal subgroup that contains ##T##. Now it is straight forward. Do you see why?

Likes QIsReluctant

Related to Show that a normal subgroup <S> is equal to <T>

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the group. This means that if the subgroup S is normal in the group G, then for any element g in G, the conjugate of S by g is also a subset of S.

2. How is a normal subgroup different from a regular subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a special type of subgroup that is invariant under conjugation, whereas a regular subgroup is not necessarily invariant under conjugation. In other words, a normal subgroup is a more restrictive condition than a regular subgroup.

3. How can you prove that a subgroup S is normal in a group G?

To prove that a subgroup S is normal in a group G, you can show that for any element g in G, the conjugate of S by g is a subset of S. This can be done by directly applying the definition of a normal subgroup or by using other theorems and properties of groups.

4. What is the significance of proving that a subgroup S is normal in a group G?

Proving that a subgroup S is normal in a group G can have many implications in the study of groups and their properties. It can help in understanding the structure of the group G and its subgroups, and can also be useful in proving other theorems and properties related to normal subgroups.

5. Can a subgroup S be both normal and regular in a group G?

Yes, it is possible for a subgroup S to be both normal and regular in a group G. This happens when the subgroup S is the whole group G, as every group is both normal and regular in itself.