Show that a particle moves over a circumference

In summary, the problem asks for a formula to show that a particle moves around a circumference with its center at the origin. Simple algebra shows that x^{2}+y^{2}=(\frac{1-t^{2}}{1+t^{2}})^{2}+(\frac{2t}{1+t^{2}})^{2}=\frac{1-2t^{2}+t^{4}+4t^{4}}{(1+t^{2})^{2}}=\frac{1+2t^{2}+t^{4}}{1+2t^{2}+t^{4}}=1. If t increases, x
Thales Costa
The problem asks me to show that a particle moves over a circumference with its center at the origin.

The position vector of a moving particle is:
ljiZbVp.png

I've tried using the x2+y2=r2 formula of the circumference, squaring both components of the vector function but I couldn't figure out what to do with the result.

How should I go in order to show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple algebra: [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=(\frac{1-t^{2}}{1+t^{2}})^{2}+(\frac{2t}{1+t^{2}})^{2}=\frac{1-2t^{2}+t^{4}+4t^{4}}{(1+t^{2})^{2}}=\frac{1+2t^{2}+t^{4}}{1+2t^{2}+t^{4}}=1 [/itex].

Those formulas are from the http://www.qc.edu.hk/math/Certificate%20Level/t%20method.htm that is sometimes useful in trigonometry. If you read the first part of the link, you'll see why the particle travels around a circle.

Svein said:
Simple algebra: [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=(\frac{1-t^{2}}{1+t^{2}})^{2}+(\frac{2t}{1+t^{2}})^{2}=\frac{1-2t^{2}+t^{4}+4t^{4}}{(1+t^{2})^{2}}=\frac{1+2t^{2}+t^{4}}{1+2t^{2}+t^{4}}=1 [/itex].
Oh my god, that's it. I did the math but for some reason I had 4t2 instead of 2t2. I should double check my math more often. Thanks for the reply.

The problem also asks about the direction the particle moves as t increases, if it's counter or clockwise, and if there are points in the circumference that are not occupied by the particle when t goes from negative infinity to infinity.

Do I just plug in t values and see how the function behaves to find out the direction?

Svein said:
There's a typo in one of the expressions - ##\frac{1-2t^{2}+t^{4}+4t^{4}}{(1+t^{2})^{2}}## should be ##\frac{1-2t^{2}+t^{4}+4t^{2}}{(1+t^{2})^{2}}##

Looks to me that the original formula has a typo: The numerator of the y-coordinate should be 2t2, not 2t.

Then you actually get

x(t)2 + y(t)2 = 1​

for all t.

Hint: You might notice that

y(t) / x(t) = tan(θ),​

so

θ(t) = arctan(y(t) / x(t))​

will tell you the angle θ(t) (or θ(t) ± π) around the circumference. In either case dθ/dt is the rate the angle is increasing.

zinq said:
Looks to me that the original formula has a typo: The numerator of the y-coordinate should be 2t2, not 2t.

Then you actually get

x(t)2 + y(t)2 = 1​

for all t.
How so?
Looking only at the numerators:
##(1-t²)²+(2t)²=1-2t²+t^4+4t²=1+2t²+t^4=(1+t²)²##, and that is equal to the denominator squared.

Last edited:
Thales Costa said:
Do I just plug in t values and see how the function behaves to find out the direction?
If you use the 't formula' link from post 3, you'll see that the formulas for x and y can be expressed as sin and cos of an angle (which in the link they call ##x## but for this purpose would be better thought of as ##\theta##), which is the angle traveled around the circle in the conventional direction for polar coordinates.

Samy, thanks again for the correction. It seems I ought to join up so I have more time to delete my stupid posts.

These are indeed the t-formulas: Let tan(x/2) = t
=>
(1-t^2)/(1+t^2) = cos x
2t/(1+t^2) = sin x

andrewkirk said:
If you use the 't formula' link from post 3, you'll see that the formulas for x and y can be expressed as sin and cos of an angle (which in the link they call ##x## but for this purpose would be better thought of as ##\theta##), which is the angle traveled around the circle in the conventional direction for polar coordinates.
I see that now. Thank you for your help!

The problem also asks if there are points that are not occupied by the particle as t goes from negative infinity to positive infinity.
Since the vector function (cosθ, sinθ) is defined at every t from -infinity to +infinity, is it safe to say that all the points are occupied by the particle as t changes?

The answer says that the point (-1,0) is not occupied, by I couldn't figure out why. I think it has something to do with the r2 x2+y2=r2 being ±1

Thales Costa said:
Since the vector function (cosθ, sinθ) is defined at every t from -infinity to +infinity, is it safe to say that all the points are occupied by the particle as t changes?
The function is defined for every ##t\in(-\infty,\infty)##. But ##t## must be real, so cannot take on a value of ##\pm\infty## as that is not a real number. Hence points on the circle that would require an infinite ##t## are never attained - only asymptotically approached.

andrewkirk said:
The function is defined for every ##t\in(-\infty,\infty)##. But ##t## must be real, so cannot take on a value of ##\pm\infty## as that is not a real number. Hence points on the circle that would require an infinite ##t## are never attained - only asymptotically approached.
And why is the point (-1,0) not occupied by the particle if the circle is always defined for all real numbers?

Is it because making x = (1-t^2)/(1+t^2) = -1 would give me 2 = 0, therefore not possible.
And plugging x= -1 in x2+y2 = -1 would give me y = 0?

Sorry if it's confusing, my english is a bit bad

Thales Costa said:
Is it because making x = (1-t^2)/(1+t^2) = -1 would give me 2 = 0, therefore not possible.
Yes

andrewkirk said:
Yes
Got it. Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is a circumference?

A circumference is the boundary of a circle or other curved geometric shape. It is the distance around the edge of the shape.

2. How does a particle move over a circumference?

A particle moves over a circumference by traveling along the boundary of the circle or curved shape. This can be achieved through rotation or by following a curved path.

3. What factors affect the movement of a particle over a circumference?

The movement of a particle over a circumference can be affected by the size of the circumference, the speed of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle.

4. Can a particle move over a circumference at a constant speed?

Yes, a particle can move over a circumference at a constant speed if there are no external forces acting on it to change its speed or direction.

5. How is the distance traveled by a particle over a circumference calculated?

The distance traveled by a particle over a circumference is calculated by multiplying the circumference by the number of times the particle travels around it. This can also be calculated by using the formula for the circumference of a circle: 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle.