Show that a sample space is valid by verifying properties

In summary: If I split S' into A and S'-A, then I say something like \sum{i \in A} + \sum{i\in S'-A} = \sum{i \in S}?No it isn't. Look at the OP where ##S'## is defined.Oh, i see what you are saying. So then I evaluate for n_j/36 for the two sums?If I split S' into A and S'-A, then I say something like \sum{i \in A} + \sum{i\in S'-A} = \sum{i \in S}?
a255c

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/nYQqE/2b0eaf2720.png

Homework Equations

http://puu.sh/nYSjQ/e48cad3a8b.png

The Attempt at a Solution

http://puu.sh/nYYjW/174ad8267c.png

My main issue is with part b) and part d). I think that part b) is mostly right, but part d) is definitely wrong and incomplete, and I have no idea how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a255c said:
part d) is definitely wrong and incomplete, and I have no idea how to do it.
(d) is not too bad. The suggestions I would make are:
- in iii you need to state that A and B are disjoint, otherwise the equalities will not hold. Also the first ##Pr## should be ##Pr'##. You need to be careful with your symbols in a problem like this, as misplaced or wrong symbols lead to confusion.
- in ii, the statement ##\sum_{i\in S}\frac{n_i}{36}## should be ##\sum_{i\in S'}\frac{n_i}{36}## (care with symbols again). You'll probably find it easier if you split it into two sums ##\sum_{i=2}^6## and ##\sum_{i=7}^{12}##. Then use the above definitions of ##n_i## in terms of ##i##.
- the proof that ##P(\emptyset)=0## is not correct because dice have nothing to do with it. What is ##\sum_{i\in\emptyset}\frac{n_i}{36}## (how many terms are there in the sum?)?

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
(d) is not too bad. The suggestions I would make are:
- in iii you need to state that A and B are disjoint, otherwise the equalities will not hold. Also the first ##Pr## should be ##Pr'##. You need to be careful with your symbols in a problem like this, as misplaced or wrong symbols lead to confusion.
- in ii, the statement ##\sum_{i\in S}\frac{n_i}{36}## should be ##\sum_{i\in S'}\frac{n_i}{36}## (care with symbols again). You'll probably find it easier if you split it into two sums ##\sum{i=2}^6## and ##\sum{i=7}^12##. Then use the above definitions of ##n_i## in terms of ##i##.
- the proof that ##P(\emptyset)=0## is not correct because dice have nothing to do with it. What is ##\sum_{i\in\emptyset}\frac{n_i}{36}## (how many terms are there in the sum?)?

I have used your suggestions and have fixed my answers to this:
http://puu.sh/nZZZl/d243480f50.png

but I did not know what you mean about splitting the sums for d)ii, and I'm still unsure how to do d)i

What are you trying to prove in (d)(i)? I think all the requirements of a probability space are contained in (d)ii and iii.

For splitting sums, replace ##\sum_{j\in S'}## by ##\sum_{j=2}^6+\sum_{j=7}^{12}## (I prefer to use ##j## rather than ##i## as an index variable because MathJax insists on inappropriately autocorrecting ##i## to ##I##).

andrewkirk said:
What are you trying to prove in (d)(i)? I think all the requirements of a probability space are contained in (d)ii and iii.

For splitting sums, replace ##\sum_{j\in S'}## by ##\sum_{j=2}^6+\sum_{j=7}^{12}## (I prefer to use ##j## rather than ##i## as an index variable because MathJax insists on inappropriately autocorrecting ##i## to ##I##).

I'm trying to prove property 1 for d)i.

I don't really understand how you get j = 2 and j = 7 though for the sums or where you get the two sums from to begin with.

a255c said:
where you get the two sums from to begin with.
You started with ##\sum_{j\in S'}##
What is ##S'##?
I'm trying to prove property 1 for d)i.
Assuming you prove ##Pr(S')=1## in ii, you just have to prove that ##A\subseteq S'\Rightarrow Pr(A)\leq Pr(S')##. Try splitting ##S'## into ##A## and ##S'-A##.

andrewkirk said:
You started with ##\sum_{j\in S'}##
What is ##S'##?

Assuming you prove ##Pr(S')=1## in ii, you just have to prove that ##A\subseteq S'\Rightarrow Pr(A)\leq Pr(S')##. Try splitting ##S'## into ##A## and ##S'-A##.
S' is 36, but I still don't understand how you got 2 and 7 specifically..

If I split S' into A and S'-A, then I say something like \sum{i \in A} + \sum{i\in S'-A} = \sum{i \in S}?
I'm not sure how splitting could help me for part d)i.

a255c said:
S' is 36
No it isn't. Look at the OP where ##S'## is defined.

andrewkirk said:
No it isn't. Look at the OP where ##S'## is defined.
Oh, i see what you are saying. So then I evaluate for n_j/36 for the two sums?

I did 2(1+2+3+4+5+6+7)/36 but this does not equal 1

I have modified my answers to this
http://puu.sh/o111N/1376d907c3.png

a255c said:
I did 2(1+2+3+4+5+6+7)/36 but this does not equal 1
That sum has fourteen terms (2 x 7). How many terms are there supposed to be in the sum?

andrewkirk said:
That sum has fourteen terms (2 x 7). How many terms are there supposed to be in the sum?

so it's 2(1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5)/36? That's 30/36 though

1. What is a sample space?

A sample space is a set of all possible outcomes of a random experiment. It is denoted by the symbol Ω and can be represented using a list, a tree diagram, or a Venn diagram.

2. What are the properties of a valid sample space?

A valid sample space must satisfy the following properties:

• It should be exhaustive, meaning it should include all possible outcomes of the experiment.
  • It should be mutually exclusive, meaning no two outcomes can occur at the same time.
  • It should be finite or countably infinite, meaning it should have a finite number of outcomes or a countable number of outcomes.

3. How do you verify if a sample space is valid?

To verify if a sample space is valid, you need to check if it satisfies all the properties mentioned above. You can also use a simple test by listing out all the possible outcomes and making sure they are exhaustive and mutually exclusive.

4. Can a sample space be invalid?

Yes, a sample space can be invalid if it does not satisfy one or more of the properties mentioned earlier. For example, if it is not exhaustive or if it has overlapping outcomes, it is not a valid sample space.

5. Why is it important to have a valid sample space?

A valid sample space is important because it helps in accurately understanding and analyzing the outcomes of a random experiment. It also helps in calculating probabilities and making informed decisions based on the results of the experiment.