Show that an operator is Hermitian

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving properties and identities. The problem involves finding the value of <Lf, g> using the given identities. The conversation talks about rewriting terms using the identities and applying specific rules in order to obtain the final solution. However, there are difficulties in applying the rules correctly and obtaining the desired result.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
##\bigl\langle f,\cal L g \bigr\rangle=\bigl\langle \cal L f,\ g \bigr\rangle##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

unfortunately, I have problems with the following task

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-22 um 12.37.30.png

I tried the fast way, unfortunately I have problems with it

I have already proved the following properties, ##\bigl< f,xg \bigr>=\bigl< xf,g \bigr>## and ##\bigl< f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>=-\overline{f(0)} g(0)+\bigl< f,g \bigr>-\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>## and then proceeded as follows:

$$\bigl< f,\cal L g \bigr>$$
$$\bigl< f,(-x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+(x-1)\frac{d}{dx})g \bigr>$$
$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g+x \frac{d}{dx}g-\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$
$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>+\bigl< f,x \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>-\bigl< f,\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

Then for the last term, I used the above identity ##\bigl< f,\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>=-\overline{f(0)} g(0)+\bigl< f,g \bigr>-\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>## and obtained the following:

$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>+\bigl< f,x \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\overline{f(0)} g(0)- \bigl< f,g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>$$

Unfortunately now I'm stuck because I don't know what to do with the first two terms, in the hint it says to apply the above identities to ##\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>## but unfortunately I don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2} =\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}##

Likes Lambda96
For the second term, use the first property to move the ##x## onto ##f##. That is, you can say that
$$\langle f, x\frac{d}{dx}g \rangle = \langle xf, \frac{d}{dx}g\rangle = \langle h, \frac{d}{dx}g\rangle,$$ where ##h(x) = x f(x)##. Use the second property to move the ##d/dx## over onto ##h##. And so on.

Likes Lambda96
Thanks PeroK and vela for your help 👍👍

I tried to apply your tips and got the following:

$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>+\bigl< f,x \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\overline{f(0)} g(0)- \bigl< f,g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>$$.
$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>+\bigl< xf, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\overline{f(0)} g(0)- \bigl< f,g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>$$
$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>+\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\overline{f(0)} g(0)- \bigl< f,g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>$$
$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>+\bigl< h,g \bigr>-\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}h,g \bigr>+\overline{f(0)} g(0)- \bigl< f,g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>$$

I then tried to rewrite the term ##\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>## as follows ##-\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx} \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>## but I am not sure if I can now apply the second identity from the hint to it and get the following

$$-\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx} \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>=-\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}h,g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d^2}{dx^2}h,g \bigr>$$

First, it's a good idea to write down what you are aiming for:
$$\langle L f,\ g \rangle =- \langle (x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}) f, g \rangle + \langle (x\frac{d}{dx}) f, g \rangle - \langle \frac{d}{dx} f, g \rangle$$Now$$\langle f,\ Lg \rangle =- \langle f, \ (x\frac{d^2}{dx^2})g \rangle + \langle f, \ (x\frac{d}{dx})g \rangle - \langle f, \ \frac{d}{dx}g \rangle$$You need to apply the "##x##" rule to the first and second terms and the ##\frac d {dx}## rule to the third term. Then apply the ##\frac d {dx}## rule twice to the new first term and once to the middle term. And see what you get.

Likes Lambda96
Actually, if you just process the first term, things should cancel out. And things fall out in 5-6 lines.

Likes Lambda96
vela said:
For the second term, use the first property to move the ##x## onto ##f##. That is, you can say that
$$\langle f, x\frac{d}{dx}g \rangle = \langle xf, \frac{d}{dx}g\rangle = \langle h, \frac{d}{dx}g\rangle,$$ where ##h(x) = x f(x)##. Use the second property to move the ##d/dx## over onto ##h##. And so on.
Actually, it turns out to be simpler to leave the second and third terms alone and watch them vanish!

Likes vela and Lambda96
Thanks PeroK for your help 👍, I have now tried to rewrite only the first term using the two identities in the hint, unfortunately I have some difficulties with this

$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< x\frac{d}{dx}f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, g \bigr>+\bigl< x\frac{d}{dx}f, g \bigr>+\bigl< x\frac{d}{dx}f, g \bigr>-\bigl< x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}f, g \bigr>$$

If I now combine this expression with the other two terms, i.e. ##\bigl< f,x \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>## and ##\bigl< f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>##, I unfortunately do not get the final result, which is why I assume that I have applied the rule ##\frac{d}{dx}## twice incorrectly on the first term

Lambda96 said:
Thanks PeroK for your help 👍, I have now tried to rewrite only the first term using the two identities in the hint, unfortunately I have some difficulties with this

$$\bigl< f,-x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< x\frac{d}{dx}f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$
This is not right. It should be:
$$-\bigl< xf, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}(xf), \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
The reason I introduced the function ##h=xf## earlier was in hopes of you avoiding the mistake you made. In terms of ##h##, you should get
$$-\langle xf, \frac{d}{dx}g' \rangle = -\langle h, \frac{d}{dx}g' \rangle = \overline{h(0)}g'(0) - \langle h,g' \rangle + \langle \frac{d}{dx}h,g'\rangle.$$ Then if you substitute back in ##xf## for ##h##, you'll end up with what @PeroK did in the previous post.

Likes Lambda96, SammyS and PeroK
Thanks PeroK and vela for your help 👍👍

I have now continued the notation with ##h=xf## and got the following.

$$-\bigl< h, \frac{d^2}{dx^2}g \bigr>=-\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< \frac{d}{dx}h, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

I then substituted ##h=xf## in the second term and applied the product rule

$$=-\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< x\frac{d}{dx}f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

I then applied the ##\frac{d}{dx}## rule from the hint again for the second term

$$=-\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl<x\frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>-\bigl<\frac{d}{dx} \bigl(x \frac{d}{dx}f\bigr),g \bigr>+\bigl<f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$.

Then applied the product rule for the third term

$$=-\bigl< h, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl<x\frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>-\bigl\langle x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}f,g \bigr\rangle -\bigl\langle \frac{d}{dx} f ,g \bigr\rangle +\bigl< f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

Then I applied ##h=xf## for the first term and applied the x rule from the hint again

$$=-\bigl< f, x\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl<x\frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>-\bigl\langle x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}f,g \bigr\rangle -\bigl\langle \frac{d}{dx} f ,g \bigr\rangle +\bigl< f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

If I now add the two unchanged terms to this, I get the following.

$$=-\bigl< f, x\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl<x\frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>-\bigl\langle x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}f,g \bigr\rangle -\bigl\langle \frac{d}{dx} f , g \bigr\rangle +\bigl< f, \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>+\bigl< f,x \frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>-\bigl< f,\frac{d}{dx}g \bigr>$$

$$-\bigl\langle x \frac{d^2}{dx^2}f,g \bigr\rangle+\bigl<x\frac{d}{dx}f,g \bigr>-\bigl\langle \frac{d}{dx} f ,g \bigr\rangle=\bigl\langle \cal L f,x \bigr\rangle$$

Likes vela and PeroK
Thanks PeroK and vela for your help and for looking over my calculation 👍👍

1. What does it mean for an operator to be Hermitian?

An operator is Hermitian if it is equal to its own adjoint (or conjugate transpose). In other words, if the operator A is Hermitian, then A† = A, where A† is the adjoint of A.

2. How can I show that an operator is Hermitian?

To show that an operator is Hermitian, you must prove that A† = A. This can be done by taking the adjoint of the operator and showing that it is equal to the original operator. This can be done algebraically or using properties of Hermitian operators, such as the fact that their eigenvalues are real.

3. Why is it important for an operator to be Hermitian?

Hermitian operators have many important properties in quantum mechanics, including having real eigenvalues and being self-adjoint. This allows for easier calculations and interpretations of physical systems. Additionally, Hermitian operators are often used to represent physical observables, such as position and momentum, in quantum mechanics.

4. Can a non-square matrix be Hermitian?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be Hermitian. Hermitian operators must be square matrices in order for the adjoint operation to be defined. A non-square matrix does not have a well-defined adjoint, and therefore cannot be Hermitian.

5. Is every Hermitian operator also unitary?

No, not every Hermitian operator is also unitary. While all unitary operators are Hermitian, the reverse is not necessarily true. Unitary operators must also satisfy the additional condition of being invertible, while Hermitian operators do not have this requirement.