Show That If Alt Sum of Digits Div By 11, n Is Divisible By 11

In summary, the alternating sum of the digits of a positive integer n can be obtained by starting with the right-most digit and alternating between subtracting and adding the digits to the left. It has been justified that if the alternating sum is divisible by 11, then n is also divisible by 11. This can be proven by using the digital representation of the number and recalling that 10 is equivalent to -1 modulo 11.
Daniel Martinez

Homework Statement

Given a positive integer n written in decimal form, the alternating sum of the digits of n is obtained by starting with the right-most digit, subtracting the digit immediately to its left, adding the next digit to the left, subtracting the next digit and so forth. For example, the alternating sum of the digits of 180,928 is 8-2+9-0+8-1= 2. Justify the fact that for any nonnegative integers n, if the alternating sum of the digits of n is divisible by 11, then n is divisible by 11.

Homework Equations

There is no relevant equations. The topic is direct proof and counterexample

The Attempt at a Solution

By exhaustion, it works, but I did not find any algebraic way to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will work out if you use the digital representation of the number, meaning write out the n-digit number as anan-1...a1a0 = an10n + an-110n-1+ ... + a1101 + a0100 and then recall that 10≡-1(mod 11).

edit: I don't think I made that very clear. Start by writing out the alternating sum the way it says, but then recalling that -1≡10(mod 11) I don't think it's hard to get from there to the digital form of the number with all those powers of 10 & the result you're looking for. Anyway I hope that helps.

Last edited:

1. What does the "Alt Sum of Digits" mean in this context?

The "Alt Sum of Digits" refers to the alternating sum of the digits in a number. This means that the first digit is added, then the second digit is subtracted, the third digit is added, and so on until all the digits have been used.

2. How do you calculate the Alt Sum of Digits of a number?

To calculate the Alt Sum of Digits, you first need to find the individual digits of the number. Then, starting from the first digit, you add it to the sum. The next digit is then subtracted from the sum, and this alternating pattern continues until all the digits have been used.

3. What does it mean for a number to be "divisible by 11"?

A number is said to be divisible by 11 if it can be divided evenly by 11 without any remainder. In other words, if the result of dividing the number by 11 is a whole number, then the number is divisible by 11.

4. How does showing the Alt Sum of Digits Divisibility by 11 prove that the number is divisible by 11?

The rule for divisibility by 11 states that if the alternating sum of digits in a number is divisible by 11, then the original number is also divisible by 11. This means that if we can show that the Alt Sum of Digits of a number is divisible by 11, then we can conclude that the original number is also divisible by 11.

5. Can the divisibility rule by 11 be applied to any number?

Yes, the divisibility rule by 11 can be applied to any number, as long as the number is a positive integer. This rule is a part of a larger set of rules for determining divisibility by different numbers, and it can be applied to any number to determine if it is divisible by 11 or not.