Show that if equivalent to

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation involved finding a proof for the identity ∫e-t2sin(2xt)dt (bounds: 0,∞) = e-x2∫eu2du (bounds: x, 0). Differentiating both sides of the equation and using integration by parts, the expert was able to generate the differential equation G' = 1 - 2x * G. This was solved using the method of integrating factors, leading to a solution that explicitly confirms the identity.
Jamin2112
Show that ... if equivalent to ...

Homework Statement

Show that

∫e-t2sin(2xt)dt (bounds: 0,∞)

= e-x2∫eu2du (bounds: x, 0)

Homework Equations

THEOREM X. Let the integral F(x) = ∫f(t,x)dt (bounds: c, ∞) be convergent when a ≤ x ≤ b. Let the partial derivative ∂f/∂x be continuous in the two variables t, x when c ≤ t and a ≤ x ≤ b, and let the integral ∫∂f/∂x dt be uniformly convergent on [a, b]. Then F(x) has a derivative given by F'(x) = ∫ ∂f(t, x)/∂x dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to differentiate both sides enough times until I've "shown" that the equality is true. So far, no success.

I'd let G(x) = ∫eu2 du (bounds: 0, x). Then, using the fundamental theorem of calculus,

(e-x2G(x))' = e-x2 * ex2 + eu2 du * e-x2.

Some pattern will emerge when I keep on differentiating.

As for ∫e-t2sin(2xt)dt (bounds: 0,∞), I'll have 2x accumulating over and over again, and then an alternation between sin(2xt) and cos(2xt), etc...

Am I doing this right? I'm not finding any major cancellations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jamin2112! :smile:
Jamin2112 said:
∫e-t2sin(2xt)dt (bounds: 0,∞)

Wouldn't it be easier to use Euler's formula (cos + isin), and then complete the square ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Wouldn't it be easier to use Euler's formula (cos + isin), and then complete the square ? :wink:

First of all, should I be differentiating both sides of the original equation?

Jamin2112 said:
First of all, should I be differentiating both sides of the original equation?

Yes.

Differentiate the second one first (so that you know what you're aiming at! :wink:), to get an expression for dF/dx as a function of F,

and then use theorem X on the first one, followed by integration by parts, to make it look like the first result.

What do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Yes.

Differentiate the second one first (so that you know what you're aiming at! :wink:), to get an expression for dF/dx as a function of F,

and then use theorem X on the first one, followed by integration by parts, to make it look like the first result.

What do you get? :smile:

Differentiating the second one yields

e-x2 * e-x2 + ∫eu2du * -2x2e-x2 = 1 - 2xe-x2∫eu2du.

So if G(x) = e-x2∫eu2du, I have

G' = 1 - 2x * G
G' / G = 1 - 2x
d/dx[ln(G)] = 1 - 2x
ln(G) = x - x2 + C
G = ex - x2 + C

Hmmmmm ... I'm not sure how to use Integration by Parts with the left side, since neither e-x2 nor sin(2xt) gets simpler when differentiated.

Jamin2112 said:
Differentiating the second one yields

e-x2 * e-x2 + ∫eu2du * -2x2e-x2 = 1 - 2xe-x2∫eu2du.

Yes (you got a minius wrong at the start, but you corrected it). :smile:
So if G(x) = e-x2∫eu2du, I have

G' = 1 - 2x * G
G' / G = 1 - 2x

No, G'/G is not 1 - 2x. :redface:
… Hmmmmm ... I'm not sure how to use Integration by Parts with the left side, since neither e-x2 nor sin(2xt) gets simpler when differentiated.

You need to differentiate the first equation first … then use integration by parts.

tiny-tim said:
Yes (you got a minius wrong at the start, but you corrected it). :smile:No, G'/G is not 1 - 2x. :redface:You need to differentiate the first equation first … then use integration by parts.

Let me try again. (Wow! I feel like a moron for doing that algebra wrong.)

G' = 1 - 2x * G

... That's not separable. It's been a while since I took Intro To Differential Equations. How do I do this?

As for the left side, I have 2x∫e-t2cos(2xt)dt. Unfortunately, this doesn't correspond to anything on the Laplace Transform table or Integral Table. You mentioned using Euler's thingy?

Hang on. Let me do this again.

F'(x) = ∫-te-t2sin(xt)dt.

Let u = sin(xt), dv = -te-t2. Then we have

limt-->∞[ (-1/2)sin(xt)e-t2 ] - x∫-(-1/2)e-t2cos(xt)dr = (-1/2)xF(x).

To solve the resulting differential equation,
F' / F = -x/2
d/dx [ln(F)] = -x/2
ln(F) = -x2/4 + C
F = Ke-x2/4

http://www.layoutcodez.net/personalized/google/success_baby70989908.jpg

(is that you on the beach, last summer? :biggrin:)
Jamin2112 said:
G' = 1 - 2x * G

... That's not separable. It's been a while since I took Intro To Differential Equations. How do I do this?

I don't think it can be done, except by using that theorem.
You mentioned using Euler's thingy?

hmm … I've changed my mind about that … I thought that replacing sin(2xt) by (e2ixt - e-2ixt)/2 would help, but it doesn't seem to. :redface:
Jamin2112 said:
Hang on. Let me do this again.

F'(x) = ∫-te-t2sin(xt)dt.

No, that shoulld be a cos (and what happened to the 2xt ?) :wink:

Try again! :smile:
To solve the resulting differential equation,
F' / F = -x/2
d/dx [ln(F)] = -x/2
ln(F) = -x2/4 + C
F = Ke-x2/4

uhh? :confused: i think you've been eating too many rusks! :biggrin:

Jamin2112 said:
Let me try again. (Wow! I feel like a moron for doing that algebra wrong.)

G' = 1 - 2x * G

As for the left side, I have 2x∫e-t2cos(2xt)dt. Unfortunately, this doesn't correspond to anything on the Laplace Transform table or Integral Table. You mentioned using Euler's thingy?

Hi Jamin2112.

Yes getting the DE, G' = 1 - 2x * G, for the RHS is a good start.

You can get exactly the same DE for the LHS by first differentiating wrt x and then using integration by parts to rearrange it. I found this the easiest way to proof the identity. BTW. It's an interesting identity too :)

Oh perhaps an even a better proof is to start out by generating the DE, G' = 1 - 2x * G for the LHS as outlined above, and then to solve it (using method of integrating factors) which leads explicitly to the RHS.

Related to Show that if equivalent to

1. What does it mean for two things to be "equivalent to" each other?

When two things are said to be "equivalent to" each other, it means that they have the same value, meaning, or effect. In other words, they are equal in some way.

2. How do you show that two things are equivalent to each other?

To show that two things are equivalent to each other, you can use various methods such as mathematical proofs, logical arguments, or experimental data. It depends on what exactly you are trying to show equivalence between and what evidence you have available.

3. Can two things be equivalent to each other in one aspect but not in others?

Yes, it is possible for two things to be equivalent to each other in one aspect but not in others. For example, two objects can have the same weight but not the same color. In this case, they are equivalent in terms of weight but not in terms of color.

4. What is the importance of showing equivalence between two things?

The importance of showing equivalence between two things depends on the context. In mathematics, showing equivalence can help simplify complex problems and make them easier to solve. In other fields such as chemistry or biology, showing equivalence can help determine the properties or relationships between different substances or organisms.

5. Are there any limitations to showing equivalence between two things?

Yes, there can be limitations to showing equivalence between two things. It is important to consider the context and the evidence available when trying to show equivalence. Additionally, some concepts may not have clear definitions or may be subjective, making it difficult to show equivalence. It is important to critically evaluate the evidence and acknowledge any limitations in showing equivalence.