Show that Q_F is not a division ring.

In summary, we are trying to prove that the quaternionic ring, Q_F, is not a division ring for finite fields of characteristic p∈{2,3,5}. This is done by finding an element in Q_F that has no multiplicative inverse. The manipulations done to find zero divisors seem to be related to a different question. Using LaTeX may make the problem clearer.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

Let F be a finite field of characteristic p∈{2,3,5}. Consider the quaternionic ring, Q_F={a_1+a_i i+a_j j+a_k k|a_1,a_i,a_j,a_k ∈ F}. Prove that Q_F is not a division ring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let α=1+i,β=1+i+j∈QF. Then

αβ=(1+i)(1+i+j)=(1−1)+(1+1)i+(1+1)j+(1−1)k=2i+2jWith characteristic p=2, αβ=0.

With characteristic p=3, αβ=2(i+j).

With characteristic p=5, αβ=3(i+j).
As I keep working with the method I have the following:αγ=(1+i)(i+2j)=(−1)+(1)i+(2)j+(2)k=−1+i+2j+2kp=2, αγ=1+i. p=3, αγ=2+i+2j+2k. p=5, αγ=4+i+2j+2k.βγ=(1+i+j)(i+2j)=(−1−2)+(1)i+(2)j+(2−1)k=−3+i+2j+kp=2, βγ=1+i+k. p=3, βγ=i+2j+k. p=5, βγ=2+i+2j+k.

I don't get any zero divisors, I may make some error somewhere because I should get zero divisors when p=3,5 also.

Physics news on Phys.org
A division ring is a ring in which every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. So to prove that a ring is not a division ring, you need to find an element that has no multiplicative inverse.

The manipulations you have done seem to be related to a different question, which is whether the ring has any zero divisors. Do you have a theorem that says the two questions are related?

You are likely to receive more help if you use LaTeX to present the problem clearly. The first line that defines Q_F is too hard to decipher in the format you have used.

Related to Show that Q_F is not a division ring.

1. What is Q_F?

Q_F is the field of rational functions, which consists of all functions that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials with coefficients in a given field F.

2. What is a division ring?

A division ring is a mathematical structure similar to a field, but with the additional property that every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse.

3. How can you prove that Q_F is not a division ring?

One way to prove that Q_F is not a division ring is to show that there exists a non-zero element in Q_F that does not have a multiplicative inverse. This can be done by finding a rational function that cannot be written as a ratio of two polynomials with coefficients in F.

4. What is the difference between a division ring and a field?

The main difference between a division ring and a field is that every non-zero element in a field has a multiplicative inverse, while in a division ring, only some non-zero elements have a multiplicative inverse.

5. Can Q_F be turned into a division ring by adding elements?

No, Q_F cannot be turned into a division ring by adding elements. In order for a structure to be a division ring, it must satisfy certain properties, and adding elements will not change the properties of Q_F that make it not a division ring.