Show that this is less than that

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
In summary: Isn't this proof enough?In summary, this student is trying to find a function that bounds the first fraction, but they ran into a problem.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

I would like to prove that when x is between 1 and 2 [tex] \frac{k^{0.5}x^x}{1+x^{2k}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{x-1}} [/tex] for all [itex] k\in \mathbb{N} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is for my analysis class. I am algebraist, so please take pity :)
I have learned that if I were to show that the numerator of the first fraction is less than the numerator of the second and the denominator of the first fraction is greater than the denominator of the second then the first fraction would be smaller than the second. That technique doesn't seem to be working though. If the second fraction needs tweaking to make this work then that is fine. I'm just trying to bound the first fraction with something integrable. I think my bound works based on Maple graphs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the bound have to be independent of ##k##?

LCKurtz said:
Does the bound have to be independent of ##k##?

Yes it does.

Can't be true, if I let k-> inf surely it will not be valid.

dirk_mec1 said:

alas! you may be right. I have just received word that a classmate may have a proof that the sequence cannot be bounded by an integrable function.

dirk_mec1 said:
Sure it is. The left hand side goes to zero as k→∞ for all x in (1,∞), and 0<1/sqrt(x-1) for all x in (1,2).

Yes you're right. Then how will the proof read?

ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement

I would like to prove that when x is between 1 and 2 [tex] \frac{k^{0.5}x^x}{1+x^{2k}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{x-1}} [/tex] for all [itex] k\in \mathbb{N} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is for my analysis class. I am algebraist, so please take pity :)
I have learned that if I were to show that the numerator of the first fraction is less than the numerator of the second and the denominator of the first fraction is greater than the denominator of the second then the first fraction would be smaller than the second. That technique doesn't seem to be working though. If the second fraction needs tweaking to make this work then that is fine. I'm just trying to bound the first fraction with something integrable. I think my bound works based on Maple graphs.

Here's a possible outline of a proof.

Take the natural logarithm of the left hand side.
\begin{aligned}\ln \frac{k^{0.5}x^x}{1+x^{2k}}
&= 0.5\ln k + x\ln x - \ln(1+x^{2k}) \\
&< 0.5\ln k + x\ln x - \ln(x^{2k}) \\
&= 0.5\ln k + x\ln x - 2k \ln x
\end{aligned}
Find the maximum value of this last expression with respect to ##k##, treating it as a real number.
The result is ##k=1/\ln x## with the maximum ##\frac 1 2 \ln(1/\ln x) - 1##.

Therefore an upper bound of the original left hand side is:
$$\frac 1 {e\sqrt{\ln x}}$$

What is left is the proof that this is less than the right hand side.
Substitute ##x=u+1## and make a first order Taylor expansion of ##\ln##.

And... we're done. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you so much ILS. This analysis makes me want to cry!

ArcanaNoir said:
Thank you so much ILS. This analysis makes me want to cry!

Cry? Why?

1. How do you "show that this is less than that" in a scientific experiment?

In a scientific experiment, you can show that this is less than that by collecting data and analyzing the results. This can be done by setting up a control group and an experimental group, and comparing the outcomes between the two. Additionally, statistical analysis can be used to determine if there is a significant difference between the two groups.

2. What is the importance of showing that this is less than that in a scientific study?

Showing that this is less than that is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between two variables and make meaningful conclusions. It helps us to identify patterns and trends and can provide evidence for hypotheses or theories.

3. How do you determine which variable is "this" and which is "that" in a scientific study?

The variables "this" and "that" can be determined based on the research question or hypothesis being tested. "This" is typically the independent variable, meaning it is the variable that is manipulated or changed, while "that" is the dependent variable, meaning it is the variable that is measured or affected by the independent variable.

4. Can you "show that this is less than that" using qualitative data?

Yes, it is possible to show that this is less than that using qualitative data. Qualitative data can be analyzed and interpreted in a similar way to quantitative data, and can provide evidence for relationships between variables. However, it is important to also use quantitative data in order to have more precise and measurable results.

5. What are some common methods used to "show that this is less than that" in scientific research?

Some common methods used to show that this is less than that in scientific research include experiments, surveys, and observational studies. These methods allow researchers to manipulate variables, collect data from participants, and observe relationships between variables. Additionally, statistical analysis and data visualization techniques are often used to present and interpret the results of the study.