Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth

zenterix
Homework Statement
The following two problems are from chapter 8.7 "Introduction to Differential Equations" of Apostol's Calculus Volume I.

Problem 13. (Prelude to Problem 14, about which my question is)

Express ##x## as a function of ##t## for the growth law

$$\frac{dx}{dt}=kx(M-x)$$

with ##k## and ##M## both constant. Show that

$$x(t)=\frac{M}{1+e^{-kM(t-t_1)}}\tag{8.23}$$

where ##t_1## is the time at which ##x=M/2##.

Problem 14.

Assume the growth law in formula 8.23 of exercise 13, and suppose a census is taken at three equally spaced times ##t_1,t_2,t_3##, the resulting numbers being ##x_1,x_2,x_3##. Show that this suffices to determine ##M## and that, in fact, we have

$$M=x_2\frac{x_3(x_2-x_1)-x_1(x_3-x_2)}{x_2^2-x_1x_3}\tag{8.24}$$
Relevant Equations
My question is strictly about exercise 14.

Exercise 13 is a relatively simple matter (and I include at the end my solution to it).
First of all, a few observations

1) It is not clear if the ##t_1## used in problem 14 is the same ##t_1## from problem 13 where ##x(t_1)=\frac{M}{2}##.

However, if it were, then the problem seems like it wouldn't make too much sense because we'd have ##M=2x_1## and that'd be it (though this wouldn't match the expression the problem has for ##M##).

We would be able to solve for ##k## as well in this case with just one census reading.

2) From (8.23) it seems that the population never actually reaches ##M##. It just gets really close from below.

Now let me rewrite the equation for ##x## as follows

$$x(t)=\frac{M}{1+e^{-kM(t-t_h)}}$$

where now ##t_h## is such that ##x(t_h)=\frac{M}{2}##.

I've tried a few things but am a bit stuck.

Each attempt is a lot to type so I will have to screenshot them.

First I tried to just plug the values in

1697739984963.png

But this doesn't seem to tell me much.

Well, I will post now, as I continue to think about this problem.Since it will be too much work to write out all my work for problem 13 in equations, here is a screenshot of the work

1697736249797.png

Note that I used partial fractions to solve the integral in purple, and the calculations were as follows

1697738887613.png

Attachments

• 1697736298015.png
    1697736298015.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 1697738290295.png
    1697738290295.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1697738614666.png
    1697738614666.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zenterix said:
First of all, a few observations

1) It is not clear if the ##t_1## used in problem 14 is the same ##t_1## from problem 13 where ##x(t_1)=\frac{M}{2}##.

It isn't, for the following reason:

However, if it were, then the problem seems like it wouldn't make too much sense because we'd have ##M=2x_1## and that'd be it (though this wouldn't match the expression the problem has for ##M##).

We would be able to solve for ##k## as well in this case with just one census reading.

2) From (8.23) it seems that the population never actually reaches ##M##. It just gets really close from below.

Now let me rewrite the equation for ##x## as follows

$$x(t)=\frac{M}{1+e^{-kM(t-t_h)}}$$

where now ##t_h## is such that ##x(t_h)=\frac{M}{2}##.

I've tried a few things but am a bit stuck.

The key is that the times are equally spaced, so [itex]t_2 = t_1 + T[/itex], [itex]t_3 = t_1 + 2T[/itex]. Then you have [tex]\begin{split}
x_1 &= \frac{M}{1 + A} \\
x_2 &= \frac{M}{1 + e^{-kM(t_1 + T - t_h)}} = \frac{M}{1 + AB} \\
x_3 &= \frac{M}{1 + e^{-kM(t_1 + 2T - t_h)}} = \frac{M}{1 + AB^2} \end{split}[/tex] where [itex]
A = e^{-kM(t_1 - t_h)}[/itex] and [itex]B = e^{-kMT}[/itex]. Here I think the strategy is to find an expression for [itex]B[/itex] from the second equation, and set the square of that equal to the expression for [itex]B^2[/itex] obtained from the third equation; then the first equation can be used to eliminate [itex]A[/itex].

What is the Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth?

The Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth is a mathematical problem that involves using Ordinary Differential Equations to model and analyze population growth dynamics.

Why is the Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth important?

This problem is important because it allows us to understand and predict how populations change over time, which is crucial for various fields such as ecology, epidemiology, and economics.

What are some key concepts involved in solving the Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth?

Some key concepts involved in solving this problem include differential equations, initial conditions, growth rates, carrying capacity, and population equilibrium.

How can the Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth be applied in real-world scenarios?

This problem can be applied to real-world scenarios such as predicting population growth of species, analyzing disease spread in a population, and studying the impact of resource availability on population dynamics.

What are some common challenges faced when working on the Apostol Problem on ODE applied to Population Growth?

Some common challenges include determining accurate initial conditions, selecting appropriate growth models, dealing with non-linear dynamics, and interpreting results in the context of the specific population being studied.