Show that two events are independent

In summary: This is obviously (and provably) the same whether n = 1, or n = 2, ..., or n = 52.In summary, we can show that the events A = "face card on first draw" and B = "heart on second draw" are independent by using the law of total probability and calculating the conditional probability of B given A. We can also use the fact that the unconditional probability of drawing a heart on any given draw is 13/52, regardless of the number of cards left in the deck. Additionally, we can see that the events A and B are not mutually exclusive, and therefore the Law of Total Probability must be used.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Two cards are drawn in succession without replacement from a standard deck. Show that the events A = ”face card on first draw” and B = ”heart on second draw” are independent.

Hint: Write A = A1 ∪ A2, where A1 = ”face card and a heart on first draw” and A2 = ”face card and not a heart on first draw.”

Homework Equations

Two events A and B are independent if P(A ∩ B) = P(A)P(B), law of total probability, conditional probability, Bayes' Law, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The unconditional probability of A is P(A) = 12/52. A = A1 ∪ A2, A1 ∩ A2 = ∅, and P(A1 ∪ A2) = P(A1) + P(A2).

For this case, I considered A as the "new" sample space and used the law of total probability.

P(B | A) = P(B | A1)P(A1) + P(B | A2)P(A2).

P(B | A) = (12/51)(3/52) + (13/51)(9/52) = 3/52.

P(B ∩ A) = P(B | A)P(A) = (3/52)(12/52) = 36/522.

Assuming this is correct so far - I just need to find P(B) to determine if they're independent.

So, I let A and ~A be disjoint sets and calculate P(B) = P(B | A)P(A) + P(B | ~A)P(~A) with

A = A1 ∪ A2 and ~A = ~A1 ∪ ~A2.

P(B) = (3/52) + (10/52) = (13/52).

P(A)P(B) = (12/52)(13/52) ≠ 36/522.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

It went off track here.
The first two lines are P(B ∩ A), not P(B | A).

Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Two cards are drawn in succession without replacement from a standard deck. Show that the events A = ”face card on first draw” and B = ”heart on second draw” are independent.

Hint: Write A = A1 ∪ A2, where A1 = ”face card and a heart on first draw” and A2 = ”face card and not a heart on first draw.”

Homework Equations

Two events A and B are independent if P(A ∩ B) = P(A)P(B), law of total probability, conditional probability, Bayes' Law, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The unconditional probability of A is P(A) = 12/52. A = A1 ∪ A2, A1 ∩ A2 = ∅, and P(A1 ∪ A2) = P(A1) + P(A2).

For this case, I considered A as the "new" sample space and used the law of total probability.

Assuming this is correct so far - I just need to find P(B) to determine if they're independent.

So, I let A and ~A be disjoint sets and calculate P(B) = P(B | A)P(A) + P(B | ~A)P(~A) with

A = A1 ∪ A2 and ~A = ~A1 ∪ ~A2.

P(B) = (3/52) + (10/52) = (13/52).

P(A)P(B) = (12/52)(13/52) ≠ 36/522.

[tex] P(B|A) = P(B|A_1) P(A_1) + P(B|A_2) P(A_2) \; \Longleftarrow \text{false!} [/tex]
You need to go back to first principles:
[tex] \begin{array}{l}
P(B|A) = \displaystyle \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)} = \frac{P(B \cap A_1) + P(B \cap A_2)}{P(A)} \\
= \displaystyle \frac{P(B|A_1) P(A_1) + P(B|A_2) P(A_2) }{P(A_1) + P(A_2)}
\end{array} [/tex]

andrewkirk said:
It went off track here.
The first two lines are P(B ∩ A), not P(B | A).

What's wrong with my reasoning? Given that A is true, I made it the "new" sample space and used total probability for that subset.

Shackleford said:
What's wrong with my reasoning?
I think Ray's post explains what's wrong quite nicely.

andrewkirk said:
I think Ray's post explains what's wrong quite nicely.

Then, P(B ∩ A) = P(B | A)P(A) = (1/4)(12/52) = 3/52.

P(A) = 12/52
P(B) = 13/52

P(A)P(B) = 156/2704 = 3/52

Last edited:
Shackleford said:
Then, P(B ∩ A) = P(B | A)P(A) = (1/4)(12/52) = 3/52.

P(A) = 12/52
P(B) = 13/52

P(A)P(B) = 156/2704 = 3/52

OK, now. However, I found your explanation of P(B) = 13/52 unconvincing; it is almost as though you arrive at the correct answer by accident, using incorrect reasons. You say that if ##A = A_1 \cup A_2## then ##\sim A = (\sim A_1) \cup (\sim A_2)##, and that is false (just look at a Venn diagram to see why). There is a well-known correct expression for ##\sim(A_1 \cup A_2)## which you surely must have seen before. I really could not follow your steps; perhaps you did correct calculations but labelled them incorrectly.

Just for the record: an easy way to get P(B) = 13/52 in cases like this one is to note that the unconditional probability P{heart on draw n} = 13/52 for any n = 1,2,3,...,52. Yes---even on draw 52, a draw with only one card left! The reason is that if you regard the sample space as the set of all 52! permutations of the numbers 1, 2,..., 52, then P{heart on draw n} = N_n/52!, where N_n = number of permutations where a 'heart' occupies slot n.This is obviously (and provably) the same whether n = 1, or n = 2, ..., or n = 52.

Ray Vickson said:
OK, now. However, I found your explanation of P(B) = 13/52 unconvincing; it is almost as though you arrive at the correct answer by accident, using incorrect reasons. You say that if ##A = A_1 \cup A_2## then ##\sim A = (\sim A_1) \cup (\sim A_2)##, and that is false (just look at a Venn diagram to see why). There is a well-known correct expression for ##\sim(A_1 \cup A_2)## which you surely must have seen before. I really could not follow your steps; perhaps you did correct calculations but labelled them incorrectly.

Just for the record: an easy way to get P(B) = 13/52 in cases like this one is to note that the unconditional probability P{heart on draw n} = 13/52 for any n = 1,2,3,...,52. Yes---even on draw 52, a draw with only one card left! The reason is that if you regard the sample space as the set of all 52! permutations of the numbers 1, 2,..., 52, then P{heart on draw n} = N_n/52!, where N_n = number of permutations where a 'heart' occupies slot n.This is obviously (and provably) the same whether n = 1, or n = 2, ..., or n = 52.

*It was unconvincing to me, too. :wink:

Well, it should be ~(A1 ∪ A2) = (~A1 ∩ ~A2). However, I considered ~A as non-face-card/heart and non-face-card/non-heart. I realize now that the notation was confusing. I should have made ~A = E ∪ F, or something.

I was also considering this experiment as a 2-tuple: (first card, second card). The possible number of permutations is 52*51. Then, P(B) = P(#(whatever card, heart))/(52*51).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of independent events?

Independent events are those that have no influence on each other's occurrence. In other words, the probability of one event happening does not affect the probability of the other event happening.

2. How can you show that two events are independent?

To show that two events are independent, you can use the formula P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B). If the result of this formula is equal to the individual probabilities of each event, then the events are independent.

3. Can dependent events ever be considered independent?

No, dependent events cannot be considered independent. If the probability of one event happening affects the probability of the other event happening, they are not independent.

4. What is the difference between mutually exclusive and independent events?

Mutually exclusive events are those that cannot occur at the same time, while independent events can occur simultaneously. In other words, if one event happens, it does not affect the probability of the other event happening in independent events, but it does affect the probability of the other event happening in mutually exclusive events.

5. How can you apply the concept of independent events in real-life situations?

The concept of independent events is often used in statistics and probability to analyze and make predictions in various fields, such as finance, insurance, and sports. For example, in sports betting, the outcome of one game does not affect the outcome of another game, assuming they are independent events.