Show these two equations are equivalent (involves sines and cosines)

• Thread starter chipotleaway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the given equation sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta)=-\frac{v}{c}sin(\alpha+\beta) is equivalent to the derived equation cos(\beta)=\frac{-2\frac{v}{c}+(1+\frac{v^2}{c^2})cos(\alpha)}{1-2\frac{v}{c}cos(\alpha)+\frac{v^2}{c^2)}. This is the last step in the derivation of the relativistic reflection law, using the principle of least time and Einstein's paper on special relativity. The only relations between v, c and the angles are the ones shown in the diagram. To simplify the derived equation, one can use
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Show that
[tex]sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta)=-\frac{v}{c}sin(\alpha+\beta)[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]cos(\beta)=\frac{-2\frac{v}{c}+(1+\frac{v^2}{c^2})cos(\alpha)}{1-2\frac{v}{c}cos(\alpha)+\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is the last step in the derivation of the relativistic reflection law. The first equation was derived using the principle of least time and the second is from Einstein's paper on special relativity.
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = angle of incidence
[itex]\beta[/itex] = angle of reflection
[itex]v[/itex] = velocity of mirror away from light
[itex]c[/itex] = speed of light

link to diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the identity [itex]sin(\alpha+\beta = sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)+cos(\alpha)sin(\beta)[/itex] on the RHS, squared both sides, changed by the squared sines into cosines squared - some more algebra and this is the best I've got at the moment:

[tex]2c^2(1-sin(\alpha)sin(\beta))-(c^2-v^2)(cos^2(\alpha)+cos^2(\beta))=-2v^2cos^2(\alpha)cos^2(\beta)+2sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)sin(\beta)cos( \alpha)[/tex]

How do I get rid of the sines?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this supposed to be true without any further relationship between v/c and the two angles? Doesn't seem to be to me.
I tried writing v/c as tan(phi). The second eqn becomes
##\sin(2\phi) = \frac{\cos(\alpha)-\cos(\beta)}{1-\cos(\alpha)\cos(\beta)}##
Plugging in 0.5 and 1 for the two angles did not give the same phi as given by the first eqn.

The only relations between v, c and the angles are the ones on the diagram

[tex]cos( \alpha) = \frac{d_0 + vt_a}{ct_a} = \frac{d_0+vt_a}{ \sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+x^2)}}[/tex]
[tex]cos( \beta) = \frac{d_0 + vt_a}{ct_b} = \frac{d_0+vt_a}{\sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+(l-x)^2)}}[/tex]

chipotleaway said:
The only relations between v, c and the angles are the ones on the diagram

[tex]cos( \alpha) = \frac{d_0 + vt_a}{ct_a} = \frac{d_0+vt_a}{ \sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+x^2)}}[/tex]
[tex]cos( \beta) = \frac{d_0 + vt_a}{ct_b} = \frac{d_0+vt_a}{\sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+(l-x)^2)}}[/tex]

From that, it would appear that there are 2 degrees of freedom for the variables, so effectively no constraints beyond the eqn in the OP. I would try plugging in some numbers for the variables and check that the equations really are equivalent.

What are sines and cosines?

Sine and cosine are mathematical functions used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. They are commonly used in trigonometry and can also be represented as ratios of sides in a unit circle.

What does it mean for two equations to be equivalent?

Two equations are equivalent if they have the same solution set. This means that for any given value of the variables, both equations will give the same result.

How can I show that two equations involving sines and cosines are equivalent?

To show that two equations are equivalent, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution, factoring, or simplifying. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equations until they are in the same form.

What are some common trigonometric identities that can be used to show equivalence between equations involving sines and cosines?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These can be used to simplify or transform equations involving sines and cosines.

Why is it important to show that two equations are equivalent?

Showing that two equations are equivalent is important because it allows us to solve problems using different representations or methods. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between different mathematical concepts and to verify the accuracy of our calculations.