Showing different physics quantities of a drum pad

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project where the person is using a drum pad as their instrument. They are stuck on how to demonstrate physics quantities such as frequency, amplitude, resonance, and overtone using the drum pad. The conversation also discusses the limitations of using a drum pad for demonstrating these concepts.
kaed
Hey, atm I'm working on a physics project for school where we pick an instrument and answer questions about it that we'll have to present in class. I'm going to use a drum pad. The one question I'm stuck on is:
Using the instrument, show different physics quantities: frequency, amplitude, resonance, overtone.

I'm not sure if this would be right but please correct me if I'm wrong:

For frequency, I was just going to play the same beat.

For amplitude, I'm going to hit the pad harder to show a higher amplitude and softer for a lower amplitude.

For resonance and overtone, I have no idea what to do.

The definition I have for resonance is - occurs when small repeating forces are repeated at regular intervals to a vibrating or oscillating object and the amplitude increases.

The definition I have for overtone is - A musical tone that is a part of the harmonic series above a fundamental note and may be heard with it.

I am really clueless on this and any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaed said:
Hey, atm I'm working on a physics project for school where we pick an instrument and answer questions about it that we'll have to present in class. I'm going to use a drum pad. The one question I'm stuck on is:I'm not sure if this would be right but please correct me if I'm wrong:

For frequency, I was just going to play the same beat.

For amplitude, I'm going to hit the pad harder to show a higher amplitude and softer for a lower amplitude.For resonance and overtone, I have no idea what to do.

The definition I have for resonance is - occurs when small repeating forces are repeated at regular intervals to a vibrating or oscillating object and the amplitude increases.

The definition I have for overtone is - A musical tone that is a part of the harmonic series above a fundamental note and may be heard with it.

I am really clueless on this and any help would be great.

A drum pad is not an instrument - it is a convenient practice device used to do everything you would do with a drum, except make a loud noise. It does not have resonance, nor overtones/harmonics.

You could try an actual drum head - but even that is a 2 dimensional vibrating surface, so doesn't have the usual harmonics you are familiar with.

The Harmonics and overtones we generally consider in a study of sound, are those we find in Western music.
They come about that way due to nearly all the instruments having long, thin [almost 1 dimensional] vibrators.
Strings for Violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, harp, piano, etc
Long,thin air columns in flute, oboe, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, Clarinet, Saxophone, Pipe-Organ, etc
If you study non-Western music [Indian, Indonesian, African] "our" traditional harmonics do not have a part.

Related to Showing different physics quantities of a drum pad

1. What are the most important physics quantities to consider when discussing a drum pad?

The most important physics quantities to consider are mass, velocity, force, frequency, and elasticity. Mass affects the pad's inertia and how it responds to force, velocity determines the speed of vibration, force determines the strength of the sound produced, frequency determines the pitch of the sound, and elasticity affects how the pad bounces back after being struck.

2. How does the mass of a drum pad affect its sound?

The mass of a drum pad affects its sound by influencing its inertia. A heavier pad will require more force to produce a sound and will vibrate at a slower frequency, resulting in a lower pitch. On the other hand, a lighter pad will require less force and will vibrate at a higher frequency, resulting in a higher pitch.

3. What role does velocity play in the sound produced by a drum pad?

Velocity plays a crucial role in the sound produced by a drum pad. The speed at which the pad is struck determines the intensity and duration of the sound. A faster strike will result in a louder and longer-lasting sound, while a slower strike will produce a softer and shorter sound.

4. How does the elasticity of a drum pad affect its sound?

The elasticity of a drum pad affects its sound by determining how quickly it bounces back after being struck. A more elastic pad will spring back faster, resulting in a shorter sound, while a less elastic pad will take longer to bounce back, resulting in a longer sound. Additionally, the elasticity can also affect the tone and quality of the sound produced.

5. Why is frequency an important physics quantity to consider when discussing a drum pad?

Frequency is an important physics quantity to consider because it determines the pitch of the sound produced by a drum pad. The frequency of the pad's vibration is directly related to its length and tension, which can be adjusted to produce different pitches. Higher frequencies result in higher-pitched sounds, while lower frequencies produce lower-pitched sounds.